Easy Guacamole Recipe with only 5 simple ingredients but so much flavor. Everyone who tries it, says it is the best guacamole ever!
You can be chomping on the world’s best avocado dip and chips in 10 minutes from now. 🙂
The Best Guacamole
This is super tasty and easy guacamole recipe we make year round. Here is the thing – when it comes to making guacamole, I am always tired. Can you relate?
It is the most bizarre thing ever because guacamole recipe takes 15 minutes max. But if I am craving guacamole means I want to dip my chips into it ASAP or I already grilled chicken, mopped the floor or survived a work day. 🙂
Everyone will tell you their guacamole is the best. Well, I have the best guacamole recipe we and our friends enjoy for over a decade now. It is not authentic but absolutely delicious!!!
Ingredients You Will Need
- Avocado: Choose avocado with brown skin, firm but when pressed it gives in, and with a tip attached.
- Lime: Fresh lime juice is the best. Please stay away from bottled one – not same flavor + preservatives. Lemon juice works great too.
- Cilantro: I like to chop up both leaves and stems. If you are not a fan or don’t have on hand, skip because next ingredient adds a lot of flavor.
- Garlic: Garlic is where every Mexican and Ukrainian me might differ but we just love garlic in guacamole. I never said this recipe is authentic but rather uber delicious. Garlic just marries all ingredients so well here. 🙂
- Salt: Do not add too much salt if serving with chips. And you can always adjust to taste later.
Tip: You can make guacamole with frozen avocado too.
I would like you to know you can make guacamole recipe your own way. There is no right or wrong. In any case, do not let stereotypes to stop you from enjoying your favorite guacamole dip. 🙂
- Tomatoes and onion: Authentic guacamole involves diced white onion and seeded tomatoes.
- Jalapeno or serrano: Make guacamole spicy by adding minced hot pepper. Remember, heat is in the seeds – add to taste.
- Salsa: This is 2 ingredient guacamole – salsa guacamole. So easy and good!
- Greek yogurt: Not very traditional ingredient in guac, Greek yogurt makes guacamole extra creamy, high in protein and prevents it from browning. Great for a party.
- Coriander: Dried and ground coriander seed adds very interesting flavor to guacamole. Also cumin would be great.
How to Make Guacamole
Texture of guacamole is important. Some people like it chunky, some like it smooth. I am a chunky one. 🙂 Who are you?
- Remove the pit: Do you still struggle with removing the pit? Easy. Cut avocado in half lengthwise, twist both halves to open, gently tap your chef’s knife into the pit and twist.
- Mash avocado: Scoop out soft avocado with a spoon and mash using potato masher (my fave) or fork. If avocado is on a harder side, it helps to cut avocado in big chunks right in the half while skin is attached.
- Combine: Add lime juice, cilantro, garlic and salt and stir gently. Adjust salt and anything else to taste.
How to Make Ahead and Store Guacamole
We all know avocado starts to get brown just like apples as soon as it is cut and comes into a contact with oxygen. I found adding half onion on top or avocado pits inside does not help at all.
2 ways to prevent guacamole from browning that work:
- #1 Plastic wrap: Place guacamole in a glass container that has a lid and flatten with a spoon. Then cover with a piece of plastic and gently press on it so it is touching guacamole with minimum air pockets. Cover with a lid.
- #2 Cold water: Pour a thin layer of cold water on top of guacamole in an airtight container with a lid. When ready to serve, drain water carefully and stir.
Both storage methods should keep your avocado dip fresh for up to 2 days, making make ahead and leftover green guacamole possible.
What to Serve with Guacamole
Chips!!! My favorite are Que Pasa thin with lime flavor tortilla chips. So good with guacamole specifically. 🙂
More Easy Mexican Dips
Easy Guacamole Recipe
Easy Guacamole Recipe with only 5 simple ingredients but so much flavor. Everyone who tries it, says it is the best guacamole ever! You can be chomping on the world’s best avocado dip and chips in 10 minutes from now. 🙂
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 4 large avocados
- 2 medium limes (4 tbsp lime juice)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- To cut avocado, slice in half lengthwise and twist both halves to open. Gently tap your chef’s knife into the pit and twist.
- Scoop out avocado with a tablespoon and transfer to a medium bowl. If avocado is on a harder side, cut in big chunks right inside the half and attached to the skin first.
- Mash using a potato masher (my favorite) or fork until desired consistency. We like chunky.
- To squeeze lime juice, roll limes on a cutting board first and then cut in half and squeeze. This step helps to get more juice from citrus.
- Add lime juice, cilantro, garlic, salt and stir gently. Adjust salt and anything else to taste.
- Serve with chips, quesadillas, tacos, fajitas and tostadas.
Make ahead and Store: Place guacamole in a glass container with a lid, flatten with a spoon and do not close yet. Either place a sheet of plastic wrap and press on it to remove air bubbles. Or pour a thin layer of cold water. Then close tightly and refrigerate for 2 days. When ready to serve, remove either, stir and serve. Guacamole should stay more or less green.
- Choose avocado with brown skin, firm but when pressed it gives in, and with a tip attached.
- If our of limes, lemon juice will be fine. Please don’t use bottled – not same flavor at all.Fresh lime juice is the best.
- Cilantro is optional. It is good but many times I made guac without it because i didn’t have nay on hand and it was still so good!
- Do not add too much salt if serving with chips. And you can always adjust to taste later.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.