This beautiful and impressive Healthy Berry Trifle is layered with spongy almond flour angel food cake, creamy custard and fresh juicy berries. It is an easy dream summer dessert!
Table of contents
If you’re looking for a show stopping dessert to serve a crowd this summer, then a healthy berry trifle is a must try!
Ok, so let’s call it healthy-ish. It’s as healthy as this classic dessert is going to get and I’m all about moderation and balance!
It’s a delicious recipe that aims to swap out traditional ingredients for healthier options but is still flexible enough to make it your own.
The blueberries and strawberries make this a light and fresh red, white, and blue patriotic dessert for the 4th of July.
Swap the blueberries for raspberries and you’ve got a red and white patriotic dessert for the 1st of July, Canada Day!
Either way, this stunning display of a healthy trifle is a crowd pleaser you want to serve at all your special occasions like baby showers, wedding showers, BBQs, and potlucks!
It’s also an easy dessert to put together just because you have a ton of berries to use up!
Ingredients in Healthy Trifle
This healthy trifle recipe is super straightforward and if you do a lot of baking with almond flour, you’ve probably already got most of what you need!
I use a Cocowhip, which is a dairy-free whipped topping, and Belsoy vanilla pudding, which is plant-based. And of course, fresh strawberries and blueberries to complete it!
Here’s what you need to make a healthy gluten-free angel food cake from scratch:
- Almond flour: A fine powder that acts much like an all-purpose flour giving it a nice soft consistency.
- Eggs: Used for binding and the fat needed for moisture.
- Vanilla: Provides a beautiful warm flavor to the cake.
- Maple syrup: A natural sweetener and an added liquid for extra moisture.
This berry trifle recipe is very forgiving, so make it your own!
- Swap the strawberries and blueberries for raspberries or blackberries. You can also use whatever combination you’d like.
- For a shortcut, use a store bought angel food cake or instant pudding.
- Alter the ratio of frozen topping to pudding if the container of frozen topping is larger, and you’re using it all. You can then use less pudding.
Step By Step Instructions to Make Berry Trifle
Grab your berry trifle ingredients, and let’s get started!
To Make Angel Food Cake
Separate the egg whites from the yolks. In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks and maple syrup for a couple of minutes until light in color, like a custard.
Add the vanilla extract and almond flour and mix using a spatula. Set that aside.
Wash and dry your beaters at this point, so you don’t have any egg yolks remaining on them.
In a separate large bowl, beat the egg whites to stiff peaks. This will take a couple of minutes.
Stiff peaks are formed when you can take the beaters out of the bowl and the egg white fluff doesn’t move or fall back into the bowl.
Fold in the egg whites, 1 heaping spoonful at a time, into the almond flour batter just until incorporated. Do not overmix, letting any air escape.
Transfer the batter to a parchment lined 8 x 8 baking dish and bake on the middle rack for 25 minutes. Once cooled, cut into 1-inch cubes.
To Make Cream Filling
Combine whipped topping and pudding into a bowl. Stir well.
To Assemble The Trifle
Add half of the cubes of cake into the bottom of your trifle dish, followed by half of the blueberries. Then, half of the cream mixture on top of that.
Place a single layer of half of the sliced strawberries on top of the cream layer, then the remaining cake cubes on top.
Repeat the pattern and finish it off with a topping of both blueberries and strawberries.
Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before you dive in!
Can You Make Trifle the Night Before?
You can make this healthy trifle a day in advance as long as you assemble it right before serving.
To help avoid the cake getting soggy, wrap everything separately and keep it in the fridge, and don’t assemble until you’re ready to serve.
How to Store Leftover Trifle?
Eat up, because this will only keep for up to 1 day in the fridge. Keep stored in an airtight container and enjoy it again before it gets too soggy!
Get creative with a large glass salad bowl or punch bowl! The glass ensures your guests will be able to see all those beautiful layers.
The layers are in a repetitive pattern starting with a layer of cake cubes, followed by blueberries, then cream, then strawberries. There are a total of 8 layers and the top is a combination of all the berries combined!
This is a berry trifle meant to serve a crowd, so you’ll need a large serving spoon to scoop out individual servings. Make sure to get some of each layer!
Serving bowls, ramekins, serving plates, or even martini glasses would be cute!
More Healthy Dessert Recipes
- Greek yogurt cheesecake
- Healthy coffee cake
- Healthy strawberry oatmeal bars
- Strawberry yogurt
- Instant Pot peach cobbler
Healthy Berry Trifle for Summer
For the Healthy Angel Food Cake
For the Healthy Cream Filling
- 9 oz frozen whipped topping I like Cocowhip or Truwhip
- 20 oz vanilla pudding I like plant-based but any works
For the Trifle
- 1 lb strawberries hulled and sliced
- 1 lb blueberries
To Make Angel Food Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, line square 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Separate egg yolks and egg whites. In a large bowl, add egg yolks and maple syrup. Beat with an electric hand mixer for 3 minutes or until lightened in color.
- Add vanilla extract and almond flour, stir with spatula until mixed and set aside. Wash and dry attachments from the mixer.
- In another large bowl, add egg whites and beat until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes. Fold the egg whites 1 heaping spoonful at a time into the almond batter just until incorporated.
- Transfer batter into previously prepared baking dish and bake on the middle rack for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven, let cool completely and cut into 1 inch cubes.
To Make Cream Filling
- In a large bowl, add whipped topping and pudding; stir well to combine.
To Assemble the Trifle
- In the bottom of 14 cup trifle dish, add half of the cake in a single layer and sprinkle with half of blueberries. Spread half of the cream mixture on top and add 1/2 of strawberries in a single layer.
- Layer the remaining cake cubes on top of the strawberries, add some of blueberries, and top with the remaining cream mixture. Finish with the remaining strawberries and blueberries, arranging them in a pretty pattern.
- Cover and refrigerate at least one 1 hour. Serve chilled by a spoonful.
- Store: Refrigerate leftovers for up to 1 day.
- Make ahead: I would prep all ingredients and store separately. Assemble the trifle the day of serving otherwise it will be too soggy.
- Variations: Use raspberries or blackberries for any portion of blueberries or strawberries.
- Cake, cream and pudding: You can use store-bought angel food cake or instant pudding. If the container of frozen topping is larger, use it all. Can also use less of pudding. This recipe is very forgiving.
- No trifle dish? Use clear salad bowl or a punch bowl.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes without permission. Nutritional info is approximate.