20 Almond Flour Recipes to get you started on your path to healthy baking. Easy to follow, delicious, low carb, gluten free recipes for everything from cookies to pancakes to tacos!
The low carb, high protein, gluten free aspect of almond flour has opened up doors for people who enjoy their baked goods but can’t or don’t want to include traditional wheat flour in their diets.
Almond flour recipes is a great alternative for people who are looking for healthier ways to enjoy their favourite foods or are just looking to try something new.
So, let’s recap quickly how you can cook with almond flour and I also included 20 easy almond flour recipes you can try.
What Is Almond Flour?
Almond flour is what is produced when you grind up blanched (skin off) almonds. They can be ground up as fine as regular flour or as coarse as cornmeal. Almonds have become quite expensive which in turn means buying almond flour can also be costly. I found the cheapest option is buying 3 lbs bag at Costco.
More and more people are making their own almond flour at home, which is not only budget-friendly but very convenient. If you have a high-end good quality blender or food processor, making your own almond flour is a breeze.
Difference Between Almond Meal and Almond Flour
Almond meal is ground up almonds that haven’t been blanched. This means the outer skin hasn’t been removed from the almond before grinding. Almond flour is softer and has a finer texture and will be lighter in colour. Almond meal is denser with a grittier texture and has a slightly deeper flavour.
If the recipe isn’t specific about it you can usually use them interchangeably. The result you get will differ slightly depending on which you decide to use. If the recipe requires a lighter, softer result almond flour is usually the way to go.
Baking and Cooking with Almond Flour
Baking with almond flour: Most important thing to know is that you cannot replace regular wheat flour with almond flour without making other changes to the recipe. Because there isn’t any gluten in almond flour, it will rise differently, needs different amount of liquids and more binding agents like eggs.
So, when baking with almond flour, it is best to follow the recipe as written! Unfortunately, there is no magic ratio for substitutions in wheat flour recipes. It is case by case situation.
Final results: The texture of almond flour baked goods is light, fluffy, and moist. The taste is lightly sweet and nutty.
Cooking with almond flour: Almond flour or almond meal are often used in savory recipes. As a binding agent as a replacement for breadcrumbs in things like meatballs, meatloaf and hamburgers. Or as a breading for healthy chicken fingers, baked fried chicken and even fish tacos!
Is Almond Flour Healthy?
What is healthy for one may not be healthy for another. But overall, yes, there are definitely health benefits to choosing almond flour over traditional wheat flour.
- Almond flour is a whole food: It’s unprocessed, especially if you make it yourself.
- It is low carb and nutrients dense: Almonds are low in carbohydrates and higher in protein, they contain fibre as well as vitamin E and good fats.
- Almond flour is naturally gluten free: This makes it a great alternative for people with celiac disease. When used with other complementary ingredients it can be paleo and whole30 friendly.
It’s never just one ingredient that makes or breaks a healthy diet, it’s your overall food choices. Sometimes starting with substituting just one ingredient at a time, can lead to massive changes to your overall health. The following 20 almond flour recipes are a great place to start!
These Almond Flour Brownies combine rich chocolatey flavor, a decadent, slightly fudgy center, and a crispy top while remaining naturally grain free and gluten free. All you need is just 9 simple ingredients and 10 minutes of prep for this healthy brownie recipe!
These Almond Flour Pancakes are incredibly fluffy, delicious and made with simple ingredients. Easy low carb pancake recipe and alternative to whole wheat pancakes.
Almond Flour Pumpkin Bread is easy to make and loaded with fall flavours like pumpkin, cinnamon, and maple syrup. A delicious, moist, and totally guilt-free quick bread!
Almond Flour Zucchini Bread with perfect texture, is incredibly delicious, moist and made with 4 basic ingredients. It tastes like cake and will become a hit and repeat among your family and friends!
These Gluten Free Muffins are light and moist with a slightly nutty taste from almond flour. This baked breakfast muffin has a slight lemon taste and makes a great breakfast option that is full of healthy fats and various nutrients.
These fresh and fruity Blueberry Muffins are naturally gluten free, Paleo, refined sugar-free, oil-free, and grain-free.
This Healthy Pumpkin Cake is the best version of a classic fall dessert. Topped with a luscious yogurt cream cheese frosting, it is moist, decadent, and packed with hidden nutrients!
Almond Flour Cinnamon Bread is melt in your mouth soft, guilt free bread with swirls of cinnamon sugar and irresistible streusel topping. Delicious, healthy and your kitchen will smell amazing!
Healthy Lemon Zucchini Bread that is super moist, lemon-y, sweet and so soft. It will blow your mind! Great for dessert and healthy enough for breakfast or snack.
Almond Flour Banana Bread is a moist, melt in your mouth loaf your entire family will love! Paleo, low sugar and gluten free. Your kids will go bananas for it!
Gluten Free Snickerdoodles are super soft, full of cinnamon sugar and made healthy with less sugar, butter and almond flour. Easy classic cookie recipe everyone will love!
Healthy Pumpkin Bars with oatmeal, almond flour and chocolate chips. A delicious guilt free treat on a chilly fall day that the entire family will love!
Almond Flour Banana Muffins is easy, low carb, paleo and gluten free banana muffin recipe with no added sugar, melt in your mouth texture and healthy enough for breakfast. Kids love these almond flour muffins!
Healthy Zucchini Muffins are inspired by healthy zucchini bread and tested with 3 different flours – whole wheat or spelt flour, gluten free flour and almond flour. Now everyone can enjoy!
WHOA, Skillet Cookie! A giant chocolate chip cookie in a cast iron skillet. It is chewy, soft and completely irresistible.A bit lighter than its counterparts, this easy cookie recipe will become your new weeknight dessert.
These Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies are soft, chewy, and loaded with bright red cranberries. Made in one bowl with a hint of cinnamon and orange, these no chill gluten free cookies are ready for the holidays!
Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies that are chewy outside, soft inside and are made with simple ingredients. It is our family favorite cookie recipe ever!
Healthy Blueberry Breakfast Cake is something between bake, cake and casserole. Soft, sweet, easy and absolutely delicious!
Almond Flour Waffles Recipe that will exceed your expectations. Delicious healthy waffles with super simple ingredients. See for yourself!
Healthy Almond Cake made flourless with almond meal, refined sugar free with honey, and dairy free with whipped coconut cream. Light and tasty cake recipe with fruit.
Fresh Peach Cobbler in the Instant Pot is delicious and tastes of summer! Swap your favorite fruit for cobbler all year long.
Almond Crusted Chicken Strips are baked instead of fried, and coated in ground almonds in place of breadcrumbs.
This Healthy Fried Chicken is baked instead of fried without breadcrumbs, cereal, oil or flour. It comes out so crispy outside and juicy inside, you will want to sink in your teeth immediately.
THE BEST Fish Tacos with spicy crispy battered fish, diced avocado, crunchy slaw and the best crema sauce. I promise, this healthy fish taco recipe is better than any food truck!
More Healthy Recipes to Try
- 45 healthy dinners ideas
- 45 healthy salad recipes
- 45 healthy breakfast ideas
- 45 healthy Instant Pot recipes
- 30 healthy zucchini recipes
20 Almond Flour Recipes: Almond Flour Banana Muffins
- 3 ripe bananas brown spots, large
- 3 eggs large
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- cooking spray I use Misto
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a silicone muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
- To a powerful food processor or blender, add bananas, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Process until the mixture is smooth.
- Add almond flour. Process just long enough to combine the ingredients. Then, scrape the walls down and process again just enough to combine. Add in the chocolate chips, stirring with a spatula.
- Divide muffin batter into previously prepared muffin tin using an ice cream scoop. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let the muffins cool for 20 minutes. Enjoy!
Store: Muffins should be stored in a cool dry place for up to 5 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Over ripened bananas are a must! If your batter is too thick, it means the bananas you used were not ripe enough. You also can't substitute for any other fruit.
- It has to be Almond Flour. This recipe is tried and true when baking with almond flour. I do not recommend using any other flour. Some readers have used almond meal, but I have not tried.
- Whisk: If you don't have a food processor or blender, some readers have reported good results by mixing the batter with a whisk. I haven't tested this myself and I assume that the texture would not be quite the same.
- Mini and jumbo muffins are possible, but baking times will differ. I recommend keeping a close eye on muffins and doing a toothpick test.
- Remember, baking is a science. For the best results, I strongly recommend following the recipe!
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.