Slow Cooker Rump Roast Recipe consists of tender pieces of meat cooked with veggies in delicious gravy. Made with simple ingredients and 5 minutes prep, this Crock Pot rump roast recipe is one of our favorite dinners on a cold winter night!
We also enjoy this sirloin tip roast in slow cooker at the end of long day.
Table of Contents
This slow cooker rump roast is one of first slow cooker recipes I ever made. I haven’t shared more roast recipes before because I thought they are hard to make. Was I ever wrong, so watch out for many more coming your way!
With rising food prices, I am now always on lookout for cheaper cuts of meat. Turns out, you can pick up the cheapest cut like chuck roast, rump roast or bottom round roast, and make a delicious roast. This sirloin tip roast recipe is a perfect example!
So the other day, I grabbed a rump roast, threw it in a crock pot with baby potatoes and baby carrots, and poured some super easy sauce on top. And how good this slow cooker rump roast turned out!
Our whole family enjoyed it on a busy weeknight after a full day of work, school and sports. It’s a great recipe for days like these!
I do sure love my pressure cooker and make Instant Pot pot roast recipe about once a month. But I have to say it is pretty convenient to turn on your slow cooker in the morning and come back home to a delicious roast!
What Is a Rump Roast?
Rump roast is a cut of beef from the top of the cow, just before the tail. Also known as bottom round roast and round tip roast, the name comes from the triangular shaped tip from the rump end of the outside round.
It is boneless and lean cut of meat without much fat or marbling. Therefore, it is best for slow cooking to allow a tough piece of meat to turn into tender shreds.
Ingredients and Substitutions
To make rump roast in slow cooker, you will need 11 simple ingredients. I like to make it a complete meal with the veggies but you can also cook the meat only. I share more details in the recipe card below.
- Rump roast: About 2-3 pounds fresh beef rump roast or bottom round roast. Another great cut of meat to use is chuck roast, top round roast or brisket. Any of these cheaper and tougher cuts of beef are perfect for slow cooking to tender perfection.
- Balsamic vinegar: It adds robust flavor and helps to tenderize the meat.
- Beef broth: I use regular beef broth. If you use low sodium, add more salt. I also have successfully tried this slow cooker recipe with other broth like chicken broth and vegetable broth.
- Maple syrup: To compliment the acidity of the vinegar for that sweet and savory taste. You can also use honey or brown sugar.
- Soy sauce: For extra umami taste. Great substitution would be 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce.
- Dijon mustard: Prepared. Feel free to use yellow mustard instead.
- Garlic: Freshly minced garlic cloves. Can also use garlic from a jar or garlic powder in a pinch.
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Veggies: Traditionally slow cooker beef roast is made with baby potatoes and baby carrots but you can also use cut up in large chunks potatoes and carrots. Good potatoes for slow cooking are yellow potatoes and red potatoes as they hold their shape.
- Add wine: Replace 1/2 cup of beef broth with red wine. Cooking wine or any dry red wine you drink would be delicious!
- Other flavors: I do not use seasoning packets because this recipe is packed with flavor. But if you want a fun twist, add a packet of ranch seasoning or French onion soup. Spice things up with some jarred pepperoncinis or jalapenos.
- Other veggies: Throw in 1 cup of roughly chopped onions or celery.
- Other seasonings: Add 2-3 bay leaves, 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary or thyme, or 1 teaspoon of fresh herbs. It is really hard to ruin this dish!
How to Cook Rump Roast in Crock Pot?
Slow cooker rump roast recipe requires 5 minutes of prep time before and 5 minutes of prep work after. Making it a great option for easy healthy dinner!
- Make the sauce: In a large slow cooker, I am using 7 quart Crock Pot, whisk beef broth, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, maple syrup, garlic cloves, dijon mustard, salt and pepper. This is our sauce that will infuse slow-cooked meat and veggies with a lot of flavor.
- Add roast and veggies: Place meat in the center and using a slotted spoon pour some sauce on top of the roast. Then spread mixed veggies around it. Close the lid.
- Cook: Slow cook on low heat for 8-10 hours or on high heat for 4-5 hours. If I am being honest, I prefer low temperature as I think meat comes out more tender.
- Shred meat and combine: After remove the lid and check your roast for doneness by pulling some meat shreds with a fork. If meat is fork tender and shreds easily, your crockpot rump roast recipe is ready. Shred meat with 2 forks right in the slow cooker and gently stir to combine.
How Long to Slow Cook Rump Roast?
Cooking time may vary slightly based on the size of your roast and your slow cooker as well. However, typically medium to large roast, 3 pounds and more, is enough to cook for 8-10 hours on low heat.
I prefer to cook tougher cuts of meat on low setting. It’s because the connective tissue has enough time to break down and melt into a tender delicious meat. But when in a pinch, high temperature will work.
Tips for Best Results
To ensure you end up with the best rump roast recipe, here are my top tips for best results and you should end up with a total winner for dinner!
- Crock Pot: You will need a large quality slow cooker for this recipe. I recommend you don’t use a slow cook setting on your Instant Pot as it doesn’t work great. I bought this Crock Pot a month ago and I love it!
- Thaw the beef: Make sure to fully thaw your roast before cooking. This will ensure it cooks evenly and safely.
- Cut veggies in large chunks: If cut too small, veggie can become overly mushy during longer cook time that beef requires.
- Thicken the gravy: If you would like to have a true gravy, remove cooked roast and veggies and beef in a separate bowl. Then turn heat to High, whisk 2 tablespoons of cold water with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch, pour in the cornstarch slurry and cook covered for 15 minutes. Return veggies to the pot.
- Make it more flavorful: Coat roast in this homemade beef roast seasoning and sear on all sides before slow cooking for more flavor.
Storing and Reheating
Serve: When your delicious slow cooker rump roast is ready, try to serve it within 2 hours. Or there is an option to keep it on Warm, then it’s good for 4-5 hours.
Store: Let everything cool down to room temperature first. Then transfer meat, veggies and gravy to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4-5 days.
Reheat: Add desired amount of food in a medium size saucepan and reheat by simmering on low heat for 3-4 minutes or until warmed through. You can also reheat in a microwave for a few minutes. Rule of thumb is always to reheat only what you will eat.
Freeze: I do not recommend to freeze cooked potatoes or carrots because once thawed they have odd texture. But I do know some people are OK with that. In this case, freeze pot roast in an airtight container leaving some room for expansion for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat as per instructions above.
Can you overcook it? I don’t think so, assuming you do not leave it to cook for 24 hours or without enough liquid. The general rule of thumb is to get an internal temperature of your meat to 190-195 degrees F for optimal shredding and tenderness. Just check with a meat thermometer.
Does it get more tender the longer you cook it? Yes. For tender rump roast, cook it longer on low heat setting. 8-10 hours will do for an average size roast of 3 lbs.
No. The sauce we use in this slow cooker rump roast recipe has enough great flavor. However, it won’t hurt to brown the sides of the roast in large skillet for 5-6 minutes before cooking it in a crockpot. Maillard reaction that occurs during browning adds more flavor.
No. As per USDA recommendation, it is not safe to slow cook frozen meats because it takes meat long time to reach cooking temperature in the slow cooker, increasing the chance of bacteria growth and food borne illnesses.
More Roast Recipes to Try
- Slow cooker pulled pork
- Slow cooker eye of round roast
- Instant Pot Mississippi pot roast
- Instant Pot sirloin tip roast
Slow Cooker Rump Roast Recipe
- 2-3 lbs rump roast , chuck roast, or round roast
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 lbs baby potatoes
- 3 large carrots peeled and cut in chunks
- In a large slow cooker, whisk together garlic, beef broth, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, soy sauce, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Place roast in the center and scoop a few spoonfuls of the sauce on top. Add baby potatoes and carrots around it and cover.
- Cook on Low for 8 – 10 hours for most tender results or on High for 4 – 5 hours works too.
- After, transfer meat onto a plate, shred using 2 forks and return it to the slow cooker.
- Gently stir meat and veggies together with the sauce. Serve hot.
- Recipe updated 2022: If you would like to make original recipe without the vegetables, just follow the recipe with the following measurements – 2 lbs rump roast, 1 cup beef broth, 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsp maple syrup, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp Dijon and 1 garlic clove.
- Store: Keep refrigerated in a glass airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Freeze: In an airtight container up to 3 months. I recommend to freeze without potatoes.