Make a weeknight meal or last minute entertainment a breeze with Easy Shrimp Tacos. Spicy, creamy and healthy! I even used store bought packaged slaw.
Shrimp Taco Recipe
Oh my goodness, these shrimp tacos came out fantastic! Spicy shrimp, creamy slaw, yummy shrimp taco sauce wrapped in warm fresh corn tortilla. Then a squeeze of lime juice and you are in Mexico. I promise you my taco recipe is just as good. And I have eaten Mexican tacos many-many times.
And the best part is this shrimp taco recipe took 15 minutes and healthy dinner was served. We even use store-bought slaw. You can host or make easy weeknight dinner with these easy shrimp tacos.
Is Shrimp Healthy?
Let’s talk about that first. Shrimp is a low calorie source of protein. In addition, shrimp contains antioxidants, over 20 different vitamins and minerals and high amount of iodine that is not available in other foods. On another hand, shrimp is high in cholesterol. 3 oz serving contains 166 mg of cholesterol, which is 85% more cholesterol than other seafood.
However, research shows that only 25% of population are sensitive to dietary cholesterol which is found in shrimp. This is because most cholesterol in our blood is produced by liver. And when we eat foods high in cholesterol, our liver produces less of it.
Having said the above, it doesn’t mean we can just go and eat eat steak and shrimp every day. But moderation is definitely applicable here, in my opinion.
How to Make Shrimp Tacos
Let’s start with simple and best shrimp tacos ingredients you always buy:
- Raw shrimp
- Corn tortillas
- Store bought coleslaw mix
- Plain yogurt
- Taco seasoning, garlic powder, lime and cilantro. That’s it!
1. Make Shrimp Seasoning and Sauce
Shrimp taco seasoning: We combine enough taco seasoning with garlic powder to season raw shrimp for 5 minutes while you are making the sauce and pre-heating the skillet. You want shrimp to be a little spicy so assembled tacos do not taste bland. And no salt added because shrimp contains a lot of sodium, and so does taco seasoning (although I buy low sodium organic one).
Shrimp taco sauce: Most shrimp tacos with slaw are heavy on mayo. I used yogurt and some mayo because shrimp tacos wouldn’t be authentic shrimp tacos without mayo slaw. It is fine by me to use all yogurt when making healthy slaw as a salad though. But not today.:)
Combine with lime juice, more taco seasoning and a pinch of cayenne. And it will be the most simple and tasty sauce ever. We will use it for the slaw and to drizzle on tacos. Remember, easy! Set aside.
2. Cook Shrimp and Make Slaw
Cook shrimp for 4 minutes in a hot ceramic non-stick skillet. Shrimp cooks fast and it’s ready when no longer gray and starts to turn pink. For more browned look, flip once and press on shrimp with spatula.
Make slaw by literally just dumping a 14 oz bag of store-bought coleslaw, cilantro, salt and almost all of the taco sauce. I like to reserve some for drizzling on tacos. But you don’t have to. Just looks good and tastes better!
3. Assemble Shrimp Tacos
Time to assemble the tacos! Did you time yourself? Wasn’t it like 11 minutes until this step?
I like to warm tortillas in a cast iron skillet on high heat. Just 10 seconds per side because otherwise tortilla will dry out and break as you fold them. Press with a spatula for extra char. If you have a gas stove, do it directly on the burner using tongs. I miss my gas stove since we moved.
Fill each tortilla with 3-4 shrimps (depending on the size), some slaw and drizzle with sauce.
Tips for Serving Easy Shrimp Tacos
- Serve in 2 tortillas (double layer) because corn tortillas are delicate and tend to fall apart if fresh. That’s what they do in Mexico.
- Add diced avocado or pineapple. Feel like mango? Make my mango salsa recipe instead of serving shrimp tacos with slaw.
- To make low carb, make lettuce wraps and serve in Boston or Romaine lettuce leaves (again double the layers to hold better).
- What doesn’t go into a taco?! If you have time, make easy guacamole, dice up some jalapenos for heat lovers or make a taco bar.
- In summer, sub coleslaw with pineapple salsa or mango salsa.
Make Ahead or Grilled Tacos?
You can grill shrimp on a silicone grill mat on high heat. The mat acts like a skillet. Keep in mind it slows down cooking as food is not hit directly by flames. Cover the grill and give shrimp a few minutes. Then open and when you see pink on the bottom, flip carefully not to lose shrimp between the grill grates. Cover and cook until no longer gray.
Expecting company or want a 10 minute dinner tonight? Prepare shrimp tacos ahead of time. Refrigerate seasoned shrimp and sauce separately for up to 2 days. Cook and assemble slaw right before serving.
Enjoy! I swear, it’s the easiest dinner I ever made besides the smoked salmon salad.
More Yummy Easy Tacos Recipes
- Fish tacos – better than any food truck.
- Instant Pot shredded chicken tacos with all the fix-ins in same pot.
- Ground chicken tacos – 30 minute healthy family meal (it’s gonna be quiet).
- Buffalo chicken tacos for all chicken wing lovers.
- Grilled fish tacos with mango strawberry salsa.
- Ground turkey tacos – so saucy!
Watch Olena Make Shrimp Tacos
15 Minute Shrimp Tacos
Easy 15 Minute Shrimp Tacos with spicy shrimp, creamy slaw and yummy sauce wrapped in warm tortilla. The best you ever tried!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 9 tacos 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled & deveined (I left tails on)
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 14 oz bag slaw or 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 small bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- Avocado oil, for frying
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 9 corn tortillas
- Easy guacamole (optional)
Shrimp Taco Sauce:
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, 2%+ fat
- 1/4 cup mayo (I use avocado oil)
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1/2 tsp taco seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pinch of cayenne
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, add shrimp, 1 tbsp taco seasoning, garlic powder and pepper. Stir and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add yogurt, mayo, lime juice, taco seasoning, cayenne and black pepper. Stir and set aside.
- Preheat large ceramic non-stick skillet on high heat and add shrimp. Cook until pink on the bottom, flip and cook until no longer gray. For more char, flip once and press on shrimp with spatula. Or you can grill shrimp on a silicone grill mat on high heat.
- In a large bowl, add slaw, cilantro, salt and almost all of the sauce, reserving some for drizzling on tacos. Stir gently.
- To assemble tacos, warm tortillas in a cast iron skillet on high heat for 10 seconds per side and pressing on with spatula. Fill each tortilla with 3-4 shrimps, some slaw and drizzle with sauce. Serve immediately, maybe with easy guacamole too. 🙂
Store: Refrigerate leftover cooked shrimp and slaw covered for up to 24 hours.
Make Ahead: Refrigerate seasoned shrimp and sauce separately for up to 2 days. Cook and assemble slaw right before serving.
If using frozen shrimp, make sure it is thawed and very well drained.
Do not use 0% yogurt because slaw will lack flavour.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.