Chicken Wild Rice Soup is made without heavy cream, flour or butter in your slow cooker, Instant Pot or on the stove. It is easy, creamy, low fat and simply the best healthy comfort food in a bowl!
Chicken Wild Rice Soup
This recipe is a healthy version of chicken wild rice soup because it is made without any heavy cream. And yet, it is creamy and hearty. It is so good, we adapted it to Instant Pot chicken wild rice soup that is now enjoyed by families all over the world.
This soup is full of flavorful chicken, tender carrots, potatoes and celery and wild rice, of course. You will never want to go back to Panera or condensed cream of mushroom chicken and wild rice soup again. Using soup’s ingredients to make it creamy is my trick to healthy soups!
In this healthy broccoli cheese soup I pureed 5 cups of squash, and it even makes soup cheese yellow colour. And in white chicken chili I mashed up some white beans. And pressure cooker zuppa toscana comes out so delicious with just whole milk and Italian sausage.
Ingredients for Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- Chicken: ANY chicken works – raw, bone in/skin on or boneless/skinless, cut up whole chicken, cubed or shredded cooked chicken.
- Dried mushrooms: If you don’t have dried mushrooms, use fresh brown or shiitake mushrooms.
- Vegetables: Onion, garlic, carrots, celery, potatoes.
- Wild rice: Wild rice has a very unique taste that makes this soup so delicious. Unfortunately, white or brown rice can not be substituted in this recipe. if that’s all you have, make Instant Pot chicken and rice soup instead.
- Milk: Homo 3.25 % milk is the best replacement for heavy cream. You can use any nut milk, but the flavor will change.
- Liquid: Water or low sodium chicken broth.
- Seasoning: Thyme, mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Garnish: Parsley
How to Make Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- Saute vegetables in a large heavy bottom pot for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients: Chicken, more veggies, wild rice, water and spices.
- Cook: Cook for 45 minutes or until rice and potatoes are tender.
- Shred chicken: Place chicken onto plate and shred with 2 forks.
- Make creamy: Add milk and blend with an immersion blender a bit. Or leave it as is. Add shredded chicken and parsley.
- Slow cooker: The only difference is that you don’t have to saute the veggies. Just add chicken, vegetables, water and spices in a large slow cooker. And cook on Low for 8-10 hours or on High for 5-6 hours.
- Instant Pot: Throw all of the ingredients into the Instant Pot and cook for 25 minutes on High. Watch video below where we show you how to make Instant Pot chicken wild rice soup.
How to Store and Freeze Soup
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Freeze chicken and wild rice soup leftovers in a glass container for up to 3 months.
Freezer Meal: You can turn this soup into a freezer meal!
- Prep: In a large Ziploc bag, add all ingredients except water, milk and parsley. Seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Cook: In Instant Pot from frozen for 35 minutes with Quick Release. For slow cooker, thaw in the fridge for 24 hours and then cook on Low for 10 hours or on High for 6 hours.
- Make creamy: After follow last step in the recipe.
Check out my full list of healthy freezer meals. I’m obsessed!
More Chicken Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot chicken noodle soup
- Chicken tortilla soup
- Slow cooker chicken noodle soup
- Instant Pot Thai chicken soup
- Buffalo chicken chili
Healthy Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- 1.5 lbs any chicken pieces*
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 large carrots coarsely chopped
- 3 large celery stalks diced
- 2 large potatoes diced
- 1/2 cup dried mushrooms or 2 cups fresh brown mushrooms sliced
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice
- 9 cups water or chicken broth**
- 1/2 tsp thyme dried
- 1 tbsp prepared mustard
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups whole milk***
- Small bunch parsley finely chopped
- Avocado oil for stovetop only
- Slow Cooker: In a large slow cooker, add chicken, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, potatoes, mushrooms, wild rice, water, thyme, salt, and pepper; cover and cook on Low for 8-10 hours or on High for 5-6 hours.
- Remove chicken onto plate and shred with 2 forks. To slow cooker, add milk, mustard and garlic powder; using an immersion blender give a few pulses until soup is desired thickness (don’t forget to stir and feel free to adjust thickness with extra water and spices). Add shredded chicken, parsley, stir and serve hot.
- Stovetop: In a large heavy bottom pot or Dutch oven, swirl a bit of avocado oil to coat; add onion, garlic, carrots, celery and fresh mushrooms (if using), and saute for 5 minutes. Add chicken, potatoes, wild mushrooms (if not using fresh), wild rice, water, thyme, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil, cover and cook on low heat with lid a bit open for about 45 minutes.
- Remove chicken onto plate and shred with 2 forks. To the pot, add milk, mustard and garlic powder; using an immersion blender give a few pulses until soup is desired thickness (don’t forget to stir and feel free to adjust thickness with extra water and spices). Add shredded chicken, parsley, stir and serve hot.
- Instant Pot (6 or 8 quart)****: In Instant Pot, add chicken, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, potatoes, mushrooms, wild rice, water, thyme, mustard, garlic powder salt, and pepper. Cover, set pressure valve to Sealing and press Pressure Cooking on High for 25 minutes. After wait for 10 minutes and do Quick Release to release the pressure by turning the valve to Venting.
- Remove chicken onto plate and shred with 2 forks. To Instant Pot, add milk and using an immersion blender give a few pulses until soup is desired thickness (don’t forget to stir and feel free to adjust thickness with extra water and spices). Add shredded chicken, parsley, stir and serve hot.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze leftovers for up to 3 months.
Freezer Meal: In a large Ziploc bag, add all ingredients (except water, milk and parsley), release out as much air as possible, seal and freeze for up to 3 months. If cooking in slow cooker, thaw in the fridge for 24 hours, add to slow cooker along with water and cook as per above instructions + 1 hour. If cooking in Instant Pot, cook from frozen for 25 minutes with Quick Release. After follow last step in the recipe.
Make Ahead: In a large airtight container, bowl with a lid or slow cooker's insert, add all ingredients (except chicken and parsley) and refrigerate for up to 12 hours. Add chicken and cook as per slow cooker instructions. OR store chopped veggies with spices in an airtight container for up to 3 days and mix with the rest when ready to cook.
- *I used frozen drumsticks in slow cooker version. ANY chicken works - raw, bone in/skin on or boneless/skinless, cut up whole chicken, cooked cubed/shredded. Just remember that cooked chicken needs barely any cooking, and you will need to use chicken broth in place of water, since it won’t be cooking in water creating a broth.
- **Use water with raw chicken and broth with cooked chicken.
- ***I’m sure you can use any unsweetened plant-based milk, soup will just be less rich but still creamy.
- ****For 3 quart Instant Pot, cut recipe ingredients in half but keep same cooking time.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.