Healthy Egg Salad that is creamy, chunky and flavorful. Egg salad makes easy nutritious lunch packed with protein, served in a variety of ways and lasting for days.
Egg Salad Recipe
Everyone makes their healthy egg salad differently. Let me just say right away – I am not a fan of avocado egg salad. Egg salad has to have mayo. The million dollar question is “how much?”. 🙂 Let me tell you it doesn’t take a lot.
So, you probably know by now I do not believe in an egg salad recipe with yogurt only. I add just enough to make egg salad creamy but what makes flavors really pop is a touch of mayo, red onion and Dijon. I also like my egg salad chunky with a touch of dill and after it has chilled for a few hours or even better overnight.
So, let’s dive in!
Ingredients You Will Need
- 8 large eggs: Any eggs work. We buy organic or local eggs when we see a sign driving by.
- 1/4 cup yogurt: Greek or regular yogurt with fat content of 2% and higher is the best. It is creamy without tasting chalky like 0% one.
- 3 tbsp mayo: I’m a strong believer in healthy egg salad with Greek yogurt and almost no mayo. Just almost. Adding a few tablespoons of mayo makes egg salad an egg salad. We already replaced quite a bit of it with yogurt. Any non-GMO, organic or vegan mayonnaise is great.
- Red onion and dill: These add a ton of flavor. You can sub green onion or fresh parsley for either. Also celery and garlic dill pickle would be a nice addition.
- Seasonings: Mustard, smoked or regular paprika, salt and pepper.
How to Cook Eggs for an Egg Salad
- How to cook eggs on the stove: Add eggs to a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, cover, turn off heat and let stand for 10-12 minutes. Cool in cold water and peel.
- How to cook Eggs in Instant Pot: Add 1 cup of water, place eggs in a basket or on a trivet and press Pressure Cook on High or Manual button for 5 minutes. Let pressure come down on its own for 5 minutes and then release remaining with Quick Release. Drain pot, add cold water and let eggs cool down for 5 minutes. Instant Pot eggs are 100% guaranteed to peel easy.
Tip: Chop eggs into pieces the size you like. It is a personal preference.
How to Make, Serve and Store Egg Salad
Combine hard boiled and chopped eggs, yogurt, mayo, mustard, red onion, dill, paprika, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir gently with a spoon.
Serve egg salad immediately or chill for 1 hour to allow flavors “marry each other”. A few serving ideas besides an egg salad sandwich:
- On any whole foods crackers like brown rice and sweet potato.
- In a lettuce wrap with greens that are sturdy like collard greens or Romaine lettuce.
- On a bed of arugula.
Refrigerate healthy egg salad in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Make the coolest healthy egg salad sandwich in the whole entire office. 🙂
Is Egg Salad Healthy?
Egg salad is loaded with eggs, obviously. Eggs are a source of protein, healthy Omega-3s, vitamins A, B, D, K, E and folate. Then we use plain whole milk yogurt high in protein and calcium.
And then just a touch of mayo. And contrary to popular belief, organic or non-GMO mayonnaise in moderation is good for you because it is made with heart healthy eggs and oil. You can read more about egg health benefits here.
More Healthy Salad Recipes
- Healthy cobb salad with any veggies you have, a bit of bacon and simple Ranch.
- Asparagus salad – this is a glorious spring salad!
- Cauliflower potato salad – low carb version of potato salad that will blow your mind.
- Healthy potato salad with plain yogurt and a touch of mayo for classic healthy experience.
- Browse all healthy salad recipes.
Healthy Egg Salad
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup plain or Greek yogurt 2%+ fat*
- 3 tbsp mayo I used avocado oil one
- 3 tbsp red onion minced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp dill or parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp regular or smoked paprika
- Pinch of salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- To make hard boiled eggs on the stove: Add eggs to a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, cover, turn off heat and let stand for 10-12 minutes. Cool in cold water and peel.
- To make hard boiled eggs in Instant Pot: Add 1 cup of water, place eggs in a basket or on a trivet and press Pressure Cook on High or Manual button for 5 minutes. Let pressure come down on its own for 5 minutes and then release remaining with Quick Release. Drain pot, add cold water and let eggs cool down for 5 minutes. Instant Pot eggs are 100% guaranteed to peel easy.
- Chop eggs to your preference, coarsely or finely, and add them to a medium bowl.
- Add yogurt, mayo, red onion, mustard, dill, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Gently stir with a spoon until combined.
- Serve egg salad immediately or best if you let it chill for 1 hour to allow flavors "marry each other".
- Serving suggestions: on a whole grain toast or as a sandwich, with whole foods crackers like brown rice and sweet potato. Or in a lettuce wrap with greens that are sturdy like collard greens or Romaine lettuce.
- Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Greek yogurt will yield thicker salad and less water accumulation during refrigeration. But regular works just fine.
- If you don't have fresh herbs like dill or parsley, you can omit it.
- Diced celery or dill pickle would be great addition.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.