Healthy 30 minute comforting chicken noodle vegetable soup with a slow cooker option.
This chicken noodle vegetable soup is easy, budget-friendly and my boys couldn’t get enough of it. It comes together in 30 minutes and is a great way to “clean up” your fridge’s veggie drawers and freezer’s veggie bags. For vegetables, I added carrots, potatoes, cabbage and tomatoes. I just love the addition of fresh garden tomatoes in soup combined with garlic and fresh herbs. Cabbage adds so much volume and flavour to this soup. I also love to add just a tablespoon of olive oil to rather fat free soups like this one.
My grandma made this soup all summer long. Sometimes she also added peas, green beans and bell pepper. But never without potatoes and carrots, that’s a must soup base in Ukrainian cuisine.
You could use chicken stock from a carton, a chicken base, homemade stock or even leftover rotisserie chicken boiled in water. Because pasta absorbs so much liquid, the chicken noodle vegetable soup was a bit too thick the next day. I added some diluted chicken base in boiling water to it, warmed up on a stove top and my kids licked the bowls!
I swear by soups – they save my weekends and many dinners and lunches. As a kid, our lunch always consisted of three courses – soup, main and dessert. A very full meal that keeps you going until dinner. Never a lunch without a soup. Try to make soup at least once a week and see for yourself how easier your meal time will be. I even included a slow cooker option in case you want to come home to a ready meal. Enjoy!
- 10 cups chicken broth, low sodium*
- 1 large chicken breast, diced*
- 1 lb cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 3 tomatoes, diced (or 14 oz can of diced tomatoes)
- 1 + 1/2 tsp original Mrs.Dash, salt free**
- 1 + 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 oz any healthy pasta (I used spelt egg noodles)
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
- Add chicken broth to a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low - medium and add chicken, cabbage and bay leaves. Cook covered for 10 minutes. Add olive oil, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, Mrs.Dash, salt, pepper and cook for another 10 minutes. Add pasta, cover and cook for 5 more minutes or until pasta is cooked. Add garlic and parsley. Serve hot.
*Use what you have. Half water and half chicken broth works too. Also you could place chicken breast in water, bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes. You will have chicken broth, cooked chicken and then can proceed making soup. That's what I did. Leftover cooked chicken works too. Doesn't really matter when you add it. **If using Mrs.Dash with salt, reduce amount of salt added.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 1 + 2/3 cups:
Total Fat: 3.8 g
Cholesterol: 37.9 mg
Sodium: 872.8 mg
Total Carbs: 34.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 6.3 g
Protein: 20.0 g
WW Points+: 6
And before you go… In the past 5 months, I have been testing 25 of these Clean Slow Cooker Recipes. I’m still in a process of putting the recipes together in a book that will be available for sale on October 5th. In the meanwhile, you can sign up below to receive a 20% OFF coupon by email. This discount is for email subscribers only and won’t be offered on the eBook launch date.
What’s inside the eBook:
- 25 brand new recipes that have never appeared on iFOODreal before
- 20+ gluten free recipes
- Easy, kid frienldy recipes with nutritional info including WW Points+
- Lots of chicken and quinoa + more healthy comfort food like Parmesan Chicken Meatballs, my mom’s Ukrainian Borscht and Kale Artichoke Lasagna and so much more. Would you be surprised to hear that you can make a Philly Cheesesteak in a slow cooker too?!
To sign up, just enter your Name and Email below and you will receive 20% OFF code on eBook’s launch date – Oct 5th. Thank you so much for supporting my blog!!!