This Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup is made with a flavorful broth, shredded chicken and tender noodles. A bowl of hot chicken noodle soup is the perfect comfort food when you are feeling cold, sick or even lonely.
Is there anything more comforting than a bowl of hearty soup?!
Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup
Slow cooker chicken noodle soup. I have so many fond memories of watching my grandmother cook her chicken noodle soup. I picked up a lot of her “tricks”. And now, I am so happy to share my crockpot version of her soup with you!
For the perfect stovetop chicken noodle soup, my grandma taught me that you should always leave the lid half open and not skim the foam from the top. You can’t do this with a slow cooker, so I was a little concerned that the soup would turn out cloudy. Not the case – this chicken noodle soup comes out crystal clear and as delicious as always!
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken: Boneless or bone in chicken pieces like thighs, drumsticks and legs – see how to cut a whole chicken. Dark meat chicken will yield a more flavorful broth.
- Vegetables: Onion, carrots, celery and potatoes.
- Liquid: Water or chicken broth.
- Pasta: Any small pasta works well in this soup. I like to use whole wheat pasta. You can even use egg noodles (like my grandma always did) or zucchini noodles.
- Herbs & seasoning: Bay leaves, peppercorns, garlic, salt, dill, parsley.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
There is a full recipe card below.
I recommend using a large slow cooker.
- Add ingredients to slow cooker: Add chicken, whole onion, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns, salt and water to slow cooker (no need to saute anything).
- Cook: Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours.
- Add pasta: Add uncooked pasta right into the slow cooker, cover and cook for another 10 minutes on high.
- Shred chicken: While pasta is cooking, shred chicken with two forks and chop dill. Return chicken to slow cooker.
- Garnish: Add dill, stir and serve hot.
Tip: Don’t forget to discard the whole onion, bay leaves and peppercorns at the end.
How to Store, Freeze and Reheat
Store: Chicken noodle soup refrigerates well for up to 5 days. Truth be told, pasta gets mushy as it sits in broth for too long.
Freeze: You can freeze chicken noodle soup in any airtight container for up to 3 months. I would recommend freezing it without the pasta. Cooked pasta doesn’t taste good thawed. If you plan on freezing this soup, just don’t add pasta at the end.
Reheat: I usually warm up defrosted soup on the stove by simmering it. That’s it.
More Soup Recipes
- Slow cooker lentil soup
- Meatball soup recipe
- Pasta e fagioli soup
- Slow cooker chicken and lentil soup
- Chicken vegetable soup
- Warm up with some of my other slow cooker soup recipes.
Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- In a large slow cooker, add chicken, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns, salt and water.
- Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours.
- Discard bay leaves, peppercorns and onion. Remove chicken on a large plate or cutting board.
- Add pasta, cover and cook for another 10 minutes or until pasta is ready.
- In the meanwhile, shred chicken with two forks and chop dill.
- Return chicken to slow cooker, add dill, stir and serve hot.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw on a stovetop covered on low.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes without permission. Nutritional info is approximate.