Summer is coming and it means fresh berries, cool drinks and light desserts. I’ve had a trifle recipe on my mind for quite a while now. Just need the berry season to arrive.
I also was looking for a basic vanilla cake recipe to use instead of traditional sponge cake.
I spent many evenings in my bed thinking how to make it. And thought why not to take my protein chocolate cake and make it a vanilla one with some adjustments.
This vanilla protein cake turned out great. Spongy, fluffy, moist and sweet. I loved baking with garbanzo beans! You can make the batter in a blender from A to Z. Easy to slice and freezes great.
What to use it for? I just made these Strawberry Protein Cake Bars.
You can also make a cool cake. Slice it in half lengthwise, make a layer and topping with your favourite healthy frosting and/or berries/fruit. I have this healthy Truwhip cream cheese frosting recipe I used for my Black Bean Pumpkin Cake. Cut it in slices and serve.
Or you can slice it into bars first and layer and top with frosting/fruit/berries after.
Cut into cubes and use to make trifle. Eat plain. Top with Truwhip and fruit. Lots of options. Enjoy!
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 15 oz can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained & rinsed
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 scoops (90 g) whey protein powder, unflavoured & unsweetened
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- In a blender, beat egg whites until foamy. Add almond milk, agave, applesauce, vanilla extract and chickpeas. Blend until smooth and pour liquid mixture into a medium bowl.
- In another bowl add protein powder, whole wheat flour, baking soda and baking powder and mix to combine. Add to the bowl with the liquid mixture and gently mix with spatula just enough to combine. Do not over mix - the cake won't rise well.
- Line 8 x 11 baking dish with parchment paper, spray with cooking spray and pour batter into it. Bake for 25-27 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool on the cooling rack. Cut into16 slices.
- Use to make sponge cake, trifle, bars and various cake recipes. Top and/or layer with your favourite frosting.
Servings Per Recipe: 16 pieces
Amount Per Serving = 1 piece:
Total Fat: 0.6 g
Cholesterol: 0.9 mg
Sodium: 194.6 mg
Total Carbs: 10.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.9 g
Sugars: 3.6 g
Protein: 7.5 g
WW Points+: 2