These healthy vanilla cupcakes came out perfect! Because Easter is around the corner, we decorated them with unsulphured and unsweetened organic coconut flakes (fancy grade) for “feathers” and organic naturally coloured jelly beans for “eggs”. Kids were ecstatic as I never made cupcakes before!:)
I’m not a huge cake person and neither are my kids. They dislike the overly sweet icing but they sure love the cuteness of cupcakes. So, they were all over these cupcakes because they were up to their taste – low in sugar and healthy.
Because these cupcakes are made with whole wheat flour, they are a tiny bit less fluffy but still very soft and moist! I would never think you can make healthy cupcakes with whole wheat flour and that is why I never attempted to. I assume using spelt flour will yield lighter cupcakes.
To keep cupcakes healthy I also used coconut oil, applesauce and maple syrup (honey works too). The icing is creamy and because it’s made with fresh ingredients, cupcakes should be refrigerated.Print
Healthy Vanilla Cupcakes
Healthy Vanilla Cupcakes Recipe with whole wheat or spelt flour, coconut oil, applesauce, maple syrup, Greek yogurt frosting and are low in sugar.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 cupcakes
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, at room temperature (no need to melt)
- 2 eggs, large
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or raw honey
- 1/3 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 3/4 cup any milk (I used unsweetened almond)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups + 2 tbsp whole wheat or spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder, aluminum free
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, plain (I used 2%)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray non-stick 12 muffin tin with cooking spray or line with cupcake liners (these are awesome).
- In a large mixing bowl, add Wet Ingredients and beat with a mixer until smooth. Add Dry Ingredients and process until smooth. Batter should be like for the cake consistency, thicker than for pancakes but thinner than for muffins. Pour batter into prepared muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes, or until tops spring back to the touch or a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- While cupcakes are baking, prepare icing by beating Icing ingredients in a medium bowl until smooth. Frost cupcakes, sprinkle with coconut flakes and place a few jelly beans in the middle (decorations are optional).
Store: Refrigerate in a glass airtight container for a few days.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.