Super crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries cook in just 14 minutes and use just a fraction of the oil needed compared to deep frying. An easy guilt free snack or side with less fat and less calories!
Table of contents
By ditching the deep fryer for air fryer sweet potato fries, you can enjoy healthier fries made with just a fraction of the oil.
They are tender in the middle and wonderfully crisp and caramelized on the outside!
Even better, unlike tricky baking methods, this method for cooking healthy sweet potato fries in an air fryer will yield amazing results every single time!
No fussy steps needed. Just chop, season, and air fry until crispy!
Sweet potato fries are a healthy way to eat more vegetables!
They contain impressive levels of beta-carotene (made into vitamin A), vitamin C, potassium, copper, and other vitamins and minerals.
More so, they’re packed with fiber and antioxidants and are lower GI than white potatoes. These sweet potato fries air fryer are also gluten free, vegetarian and vegan!
These healthy air fryer sweet potato fries are sweet, salty, savory, and utterly delicious!
- Sweet potatoes: You’ll need medium sweet potatoes around the same size. Make sure they aren’t too long, so they easily fit in your air fryer basket.
- Oil: I use extra virgin olive oil, though avocado oil and other neutral cooking oils will also work.
- Seasonings: I use a basic seasoning made with garlic powder, paprika, salt and black pepper.
How to Cut Sweet Potato Fries
If you have a fry cutter, feel free to use that! If you do not have those kitchen tools, here are the easy directions to cut your homemade sweet potato fries for the air fryer.
First, make sure to choose medium-sized sweet potatoes that are more thin and even in diameter and size than shorter ones. However, also make sure they aren’t too long for your air fryer. You want them to be a good fry size.
Then, cut off the ends and slice it in half lengthwise. Make sure to use a long, sharp knife.
Place each half, cut side against the cutting board, and slice into quarters. You can then chop those into 1/4-inch pieces.
How to Cook Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
Unlike baked versions, there’s no need to pre-soak, use cornstarch, bake for 40+ minutes, rotating pans and carefully flipping each fry.
Air fryer sweet potatoes fries are crispy in only 14 minutes thanks to convection heating.
Prepare the sweet potato: Preheat the air fryer to 380 degrees F.
Then, scrub the sweet potatoes clean and peel them if preferred. I choose not to, for extra fiber and nutrients! Chop into 1/4-inch fries as per method above.
Season the fries: Transfer the sweet potato to a large mixing bowl with the oil and toss with tongs to coat.
Then add all the seasonings and toss once more until well distributed.
Air fry: Transfer the sweet potato to your air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook in batches, if necessary.
I did 2 batches in my large Cosori air fryer, with a bit of space in between. Air fry for 14 minutes.
Shake halfway then serve: Shake once halfway through cooking time. Then, remove basket from the air fryer and serve.
Tips for Best Results
- Preheat the air fryer: This is important to yield the crispiest air fried sweet potato fries.
- Slice the fries evenly: That way, they’ll cook evenly too.
- Cook in batches: Avoid overcrowding the air fryer at all costs, or else you’ll end up with soggy, limp fries. The fries should be in a single layer, with space in between.
- When to add the seasonings: Add dry powdered seasonings at the beginning of the cooking process. For fresh herbs, you may prefer to add them in the last 5 minutes to avoid burning them.
- Shake basket or flip fries halfway through cooking time: For best crispy results!
What Goes Well With These Fries?
You can enjoy these healthy, crispy air fryer fries as an appetizer, snack, or side to an almost endless list of foods and dips. Of course traditional ketchup is a given!
- Dips: Try healthy ranch or even avocado cilantro dressing.
- Burgers: Burgers and fries are a classic pairing. This healthy turkey burger recipe or black bean burgers are family favorites.
- Sweet potato chili fries: Use leftover healthy turkey chili to top your fries.
Meal Prep and Storage
Make ahead: You can wash, chop, and even season the raw sweet potatoes up to 8 hours in advance or 2 days, if stored in a large container of water. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to cook.
Storing: This crispy sweet potato fries recipe is definitely best enjoyed immediately for the crispest results.
However, you can store any leftovers in an airtight container for between 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Reheat: Add the fries back to your air fryer and reheat for 1-2 minutes at 400 degrees F, until heated through. Add more time for crispier fries.
You can use any neutral cooking oil, though I prefer to use options that contain heart healthy fats like extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil. And I have never had issues with my olive oil smoking.
Technically, yes. Though they won’t become as crispy and taste a bit dry but will still taste good. To reduce but not eliminate oil entirely, you could spray them lightly with cooking spray.
While this could slightly vary due to the air fryer you have, I recommend starting with 14 minutes. At the halfway point, check and cook longer, if necessary.
You can also bake them in the oven. To do so, toss the sweet potato fries in a little cornstarch too, when seasoning. Then, spread them in a single layer and cook at 425 degrees F for 30-40 minutes, flipping halfway. Allow to rest for 5 minutes after to further crisp up.
Follow this recipe but they will need approximately 5 extra minutes.
More Air Fryer Recipes to Try
More Sweet Potato Recipes
- Tex Mex skillet sweet potatoes
- Healthy oven roasted sweet potatoes
- Healthy mashed sweet potatoes
- Sweet potato egg breakfast casserole
- Instant Pot sweet potato casserole
- Sweet potato hummus
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Preheat air fryer at 380 degrees F. Peel or not the sweet potatoes, then cut each potato into even 1/4 inch thick sticks.
- Transfer to a large bowl, drizzle with oil and toss to coat with tongs. Sprinkle with garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and toss to coat.
- Transfer sweet potato into the basket of air fryer leveling into a single layer. Do not overcrowd and air fry in few batches. Air fry for 14 minutes at 380 degrees F, shaking once at 7 minute mark.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. They lose crispness right away though.
- Reheat: Reheat at 400 F for 1-2 minutes or longer to crisp up.
- Crispy fries: The thinner you cut, the crispier fries get. Make sure to cut in even size slices.
- Air fryer size: This recipe was tested using my large Cosori air fryer.
- Adjust the cooking time: Not all air fryers are the same and may require tweaks to the cooking time.