Chicken Noodle Vegetable Soup is healthy homemade chicken soup with carrot, cabbage, celery, potato and whole wheat pasta. I make soups year round.
This chicken noodle vegetable soup is easy, budget-friendly and my boys couldn’t get enough of it. It comes together in 30 minutes and is a great way to “clean up” your fridge’s veggie drawers and freezer’s veggie bags.
For vegetables, I added carrots, potatoes, cabbage and tomatoes. I just love the addition of fresh garden tomatoes in soup combined with garlic and fresh herbs. Cabbage adds so much volume and flavour to this soup. I also love to add just a tablespoon of olive oil to rather fat free soups like this one.
My grandma made this soup all summer long. Sometimes she also added peas, green beans and bell pepper. But never without potatoes and carrots, that’s a must soup base in Ukrainian cuisine.
You could use chicken stock from a carton, a chicken base, homemade stock or even leftover rotisserie chicken boiled in water.
Because pasta absorbs so much liquid, the chicken noodle vegetable soup was a bit too thick the next day. I added some diluted chicken base in boiling water to it, warmed up on a stove top and my kids licked the bowls!
More Healthy Noodle Soups
- Quick chicken noodle soup
- Turkey noodle soup
- Instant pot chicken noodle soup
- Slow cooker chicken noodle soup
- Quinoa and chicken soup
Chicken Noodle Vegetable Soup
- 10 cups chicken broth low sodium*
- 1 large chicken breast diced*
- 1 lb cabbage coarsely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 large carrots diced
- 2 potatoes diced
- 3 tomatoes diced (or 14 oz can of diced tomatoes)
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 1 tsp thyme dried
- 1 3/4 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 4 oz any healthy pasta I used spelt egg noodles
- 2 large garlic cloves grated
- 1/3 cup parsley chopped
- Add chicken broth to a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low - medium and add chicken, cabbage and bay leaves. Cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Add olive oil, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add pasta, cover and cook for 5 more minutes or until pasta is cooked.
- Add garlic and parsley. Serve hot.
Slow Cooker Version: Add all ingredients, except pasta and parsley, to a large slow cooker and cook on Low for 6 - 8 hours or on High for 3 - 4 hours. Add pasta in the last 20 minutes of cooking.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- *Use what you have. Half water and half chicken broth works too. Also you could place chicken breast in water, bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes. You will have chicken broth, cooked chicken and then can proceed making soup. That's what I did. Leftover cooked chicken works too. Doesn't really matter when you add it.
- **If using Mrs.Dash with salt, reduce amount of salt added.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.