Learn how to make Instant Pot Chicken Wild Rice Soup with tender chicken, wild rice, mushrooms, and vegetables. Its seasoned creamy broth contains no heavy cream. Ready in less than an hour, it’s incredibly nutritious and delicious!
Table of Contents
Instant Pot chicken wild rice soup is one of many favorite seasonal Instant Pot recipes. If there is a way to make a healthy, nutrient-dense soup that uses fresh wholesome ingredients, you better believe I’m going to do it!
While I love my healthy chicken wild rice soup recipe that can be made on the stovetop or slow cooker, this Instant Pot soup can be made on a whim and ready to eat within a fraction of the time it takes to simmer on the stove.
The cooked wild rice is both nutty and chewy, earthy mushrooms give incredible flavor, and the potatoes and veggies create a hearty filling bite.
Loaded with veggies, herbs and spices, this creamy chicken wild rice soup is just one more mouthwatering way to boost your immune system this season.
Ingredients and Notes
Here is a quick overview of simple ingredients you need for this pressure cooker chicken and wild rice soup recipe.
- Chicken: Boneless chicken thighs or boneless skinless chicken breasts. Can be raw or use up cooked leftover chicken from cooking Instant Pot whole chicken, or store bought shredded rotisserie chicken.
- Mirepoix: The flavorful combination common to soups of chopped onion, carrots, and diced celery.
- Mushrooms: Dried or fresh brown mushrooms, baby bella mushrooms or white button mushrooms could be used.
- Potatoes: Diced and adds to the creaminess and heartiness of the soup.
- Rice: Uncooked real wild rice. Can usually be found in your local grocery store, bulk store, or health food store. I do not recommend any of wild rice blends, brown rice or white rice.
- Broth: Can use Instant Pot chicken broth or water for this soup. Broth will be more flavorful.
- Seasonings: Minced garlic, dried thyme, garlic powder, salt, pepper. Poultry seasoning could be used in place of thyme.
- Prepared mustard: Prepared yellow mustard gives this soup just a small tang and depth.
- Milk: Whole milk will give this soup a little added creamy texture.
- Garnish: Chopped parsley, or dill can be used as well.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Wild Rice Soup
With a prep time of only 10 minutes, this wild rice chicken soup is simple to make and is the best creamy soup ever! No flour, butter or making a roux separately required.
Combine: Add all ingredients, including nine cups chicken stock or water and uncooked wild rice to a 6 or 8 quart Instant Pot. Do not add milk yet or previously cooked chicken, if using.
Pressure: Cover the pot and set pressure valve to Sealing and Pressure Cook on High Pressure or Manual for 25 minutes. This is 5 minutes less than what the video recommends.
Vent: After pressure cooking time, allow to naturally release for 10 minutes then turn the valve to Venting. Do a Quick Release for the remaining pressure.
Shred chicken and thicken soup: Remove chicken to a plate and shred with 2 forks. Pour milk into the Instant pot and use an immersion blender to give it a few pulses. Do this until you reach your desired thickness. Don’t forget to stir!
Serve: If you are using leftover chicken, this is when you add it into the soup. Garnish with parsley and stir. Serve nice and hot with a side of crusty bread or a side salad.
Tips for Best Results
- Freezer meal: Healthy freezer meals are great and this soup is one of them! In a large Ziploc bag, add all the ingredients (except for water, milk and parsley). Release as much air as you can. Seal and freeze for up to 3 months. Cook from frozen for 25 minutes with Quick Release. Continue by following the last step.
- Any chicken works: You can use any type of chicken, whether cooked or raw. Learn how to cut a whole chicken and use bone-in and skin on, or boneless and skinless. With pre-cooked chicken it’s best to use a chicken stock instead of water. This is because you won’t have created a broth while the chicken cooks.
- Frozen meat: You can definitely use frozen chicken. Make sure pieces are not stuck together. The delicious recipe will remain the same.
- For a 3 quart Instant Pot: Cut the recipe ingredients in half. Keep the same cook time.
Storing This Soup
Store: This Instant Pot wild rice soup makes wonderful leftovers. The flavors continue to marry over time and you’ll be eating delicious soup all week! Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freeze: Make a big batch and freeze the other half. If you have any leftovers freeze for up to 3 months in an airtight freezer friendly container.
Reheat: Thaw in the fridge overnight or on the counter for several hours. Reheat on the stove, covered on low.
Yes! First saute mirepoix ingredients a few minutes, then add seasonings and saute a bit longer. Add remaining ingredients except milk and mustard and simmer for 55 minutes. Remove chicken, shred.
Add milk and mustard to the pot and use immersion blender to blend desired amount. Add in chicken and serve.
The beauty of this soup is you will use an immersion blender to thicken it. If you do not have an immersion blender, work in batches and blend soup in blender. Return to the pot and stir. Repeat as necessary until desired consistency.
Yes! Double the amount of mushrooms and use vegetable broth vs. chicken broth.
In a large airtight container or a bowl with a lid, add all ingredients (except chicken, water, milk, and parsley). Refrigerate for up to 12 hours.
When ready to cook, add the chicken and cook as per recipe instructions. Alternatively, you can store chopped veggies with spices in an airtight container for up to 3 days and mix with the rest of the ingredients when you are ready to cook.
More Chicken Soup Recipes to Try
- Instant Pot chicken noodle soup
- Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup
- Instant Pot chicken and rice soup
- Healthy chicken noodle soup
- Chicken noodle vegetable soup
- Instant Pot white chicken lasagna soup
Instant Pot Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 large carrots coarsely chopped
- 3 large celery stalks diced
- 2 large potatoes diced
- 1/2 cup dried mushrooms or 2 cups fresh brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups wild rice uncooked
- 9 cups water or chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp thyme dried
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups whole milk
- Small bunch parsley finely chopped
- In 6 or 8 quart Instant Pot, add chicken, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, potatoes, mushrooms, wild rice, water, thyme, mustard, garlic powder salt, and pepper.
- Cover, set pressure valve to Sealing and press Pressure Cook on High Pressure or Manual for 25 minutes. I realize video says 30 minutes but 25 minutes is better.
- After wait for 10 minutes to avoid food splatters. Then release pressure by turning valve to Venting.
- Remove chicken onto plate and shred with 2 forks.
- To Instant Pot, add milk and using an immersion blender give a few pulses until soup is desired thickness. Don’t forget to stir.
- Add shredded chicken, parsley, stir and serve hot.
- Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze leftovers for up to 3 months.
- Make Ahead: In a large airtight container or a bowl with lid, add all ingredients (except chicken, water, milk and parsley) and refrigerate for up to 12 hours. Add meat and cook as per recipe’s instructions. OR store chopped veggies with spices in an airtight container for up to 3 days and mix with the rest when ready to cook.
- Freezer Meal: In a large Ziploc bag, add all ingredients (except water, milk and parsley), release out as much air as possible, seal and freeze for up to 3 months. Cook from frozen for 25 minutes with Quick Release. After follow last step in the recipe.
- Any chicken works: Use any raw chicken pieces or leftover cooked chicken. Just remember that cooked chicken needs barely any cooking, and you will need to use chicken stock in place of water, since it won’t be cooking in water creating a broth.
- Dairy free: I’m sure you can use any unsweetened plant-based milk, soup will just be less rich but still creamy.
- For 3 quart Instant Pot: Cut recipe ingredients in half but keep same cooking time.