Instant Pot White Chicken Lasagna Soup with chicken breasts, spinach, and sundried tomatoes in savory creamy broth. Perfect for a cozy night in with your family!
Table of Contents
- Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Ingredients You’ll Need
- How to Make Instant Pot White Chicken Lasagna Soup
- Tips for Best Results
- Can I Make It on the Stove or in Slow Cooker?
- What to Serve White Chicken Lasagna Soup with?
- How to Store and Reheat
- More Lasagna Recipes to Try
- More Instant Pot Soup Recipes to Try
- Instant Pot White Chicken Lasagna Soup Recipe
Collection of Instant Pot soup recipes here on iFoodReal just got better with this Instant Pot white chicken lasagna soup.
It tastes just like white chicken lasagna without all the extra work! Tender cheesy noodles, rich taste, and lots of garlic, all in a warming bowl of soup.
This delicious soup recipe comes together in less than an hour and is also veggie packed!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- One pot meal: You saute veggies and cook the soup all in same pot, Instant Pot!
- Crowd pleaser: Just like with my healthy white chicken chili, kids and even their friends go crazy for the creamy goodness. It’s one of my 3 top favorite soups I’ve made this year!
- Delicious: Loaded with tender noodles, juicy chicken, cheese, and the perfect blend of seasonings. And let’s be honest, who doesn’t love creamy soup?!
- Lighter: There’s no mozzarella cheese and you can reduce amount of heavy cream too.
Ingredients You’ll Need
This hearty Instant Pot white chicken lasagna soup is filled with simple, easy to find ingredients. The list looks lengthy but you’ll probably find most of them in your kitchen right now.
- Onion: Finely chopped yellow onion or white onion.
- Garlic: We’re adding lots of freshly minced garlic for flavor.
- Vegetables: Fresh baby spinach and grated carrots.
- Chicken: Boneless skinless chicken breasts are easy to shred once cooked.
- Sun-dried tomatoes: A small amount of sun dried tomatoes with a bit of their oil adds a punch of sweet-tart tomato flavor.
- Chicken broth: Look for low sodium chicken broth. You can also use homemade chicken broth or Instant Pot chicken broth, if you have some.
- Heavy cream: Makes the broth rich and creamy.
- Lasagna noodles: Break 9 sheets into small pieces. You can choose from regular lasagna noodles or mafalda pasta.
- Spices: Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Olive oil: A small amount for frying.
- Parmesan cheese: Use freshly grated Parmesan cheese if you can, it has the best flavor.
- Fresh herbs: I used fresh parsley but basil is great too.
How to Make Instant Pot White Chicken Lasagna Soup
Making white chicken lasagna soup in Instant pot is so easy, here’s a quick overview with photos.
There’s also a full recipe card below.
- Sauté aromatics: Press Sauté on your Instant Pot and once it says Hot swirl oil to coat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Next, add Italian seasoning and sauté for another 30 seconds, then press Cancel.
- Combine ingredients: Add carrots, chicken breasts, sun dried tomatoes, chicken broth, heavy cream, lasagna noodles, salt and pepper to the pot. Stir well so noodles separate.
- Pressure cook: Tightly close lid, set valve to Sealing and press Pressure Cook on High or Manual for 4 minutes. Wait 5 minutes, then turn valve to Venting to release remaining pressure.
- Shred chicken: Carefully remove chicken and place on a cutting board, the shred thinly or chop into small cubes.
- Finish the soup: Return shredded chicken to the Instant Pot. Add spinach, Parmesan cheese, and parsley or basil, and stir.
- Garnish and serve: Divide into individual bowls and garnish with more Parmesan cheese, if you’d like. Enjoy hot with a slice of bread.
Tips for Best Results
These helpful tips are what make this chicken lasagna soup the best, you’ll be making it year-round!
- Break noodles into small pieces: Smaller than you think since pasta is absorbent and become much larger. It will be much easier to eat. Of course you can always “cut” noodles with a spoon in your bowl.
- Stir the soup: Unlike with other Instant Pot recipes, here you want to stir before pressure cooking, so noodles don’t stick.
- Don’t release pressure right away: Once it’s done pressure cooking, it’s important to wait 5 minutes, otherwise the soup will splatter through the venting valve. Don’t do Quick Release.
- Shred or cut chicken small: Because of the short cook time, the chicken won’t be as tender, which is fine if we cut it after. So shred it into small pieces or cubes.
- If soup thickens too much: This is normal as every hour passes by because pasta will soak up more moisture. Thin it out only with broth to avoid diluting the flavor with water. I usually add 2 cups more after a few hours, then adjust seasoning to taste.
Customize Instant Pot white chicken lasagna soup to fit your diet with these simple variations.
- Dairy-free: Use a can of coconut milk instead of cream or 2 cups dairy-free milk and add 1/2 cup nutritional yeast instead of Parmesan cheese.
- Gluten-free: Choose gluten-free brown rice pasta and you can keep the same cook time because of the chicken.
- Vegetarian: Skip chicken and add 3 cups of chopped zucchini, 2 cups sweet potatoes, and more carrots. Also be sure to use vegetable broth.
- Lighter: Make it less heavy by using only 1/2 cup heavy cream, or add 2 cups of milk instead.
- Chicken thighs: Feel free to use 6-7 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cook time will be the same.
Can I Make It on the Stove or in Slow Cooker?
Yes, if you don’t have a pressure cooker you can still enjoy this creamy white lasagna soup.
Stovetop method: Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook on both sides until almost cooked through, set aside. Follow the same steps to sauté aromatics and add ingredients, including chicken, to the pot.
Give it a stir, cover with a lid and simmer soup on medium heat for 15-20 minutes until noodles are tender. I would check once and give it a stir. Then shred chicken and finish the soup.
Slow cooker method: Saute veggies in a skillet and transfer to a large crock pot. Add carrots, chicken breasts, sun dried tomatoes, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Cover, and cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 8 hours.
Remove chicken to shred or chop and return back to the pot. Stir in heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, spinach, and lasagna noodles, cover, and cook for another 30-45 minutes until noodles are cooked to your liking.
What to Serve White Chicken Lasagna Soup with?
You can keep things simple or add as many toppings as you like to add flavor.
Garnish soup with more cheese like shaved Parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese, or shredded mozzarella cheese. I skipped ricotta cheese because I felt that heavy cream has added enough creaminess.
Dust with your favorite dried or fresh herbs like parsley, basil, oregano, or thyme. Then serve with whole grain bread, crusty bread, or garlic bread!
How to Store and Reheat
Store: I’ll refrigerate leftovers for up to 2 days in an airtight container. Technically, soup could last for 3 – 4 days, but I find the pasta becomes soggy after 2 days.
You can also thin out the soup with more broth and spices as it will thicken with time.
Freeze: I do not freeze lasagna soup because the noodles do not thaw well, they become mushy.
Reheat: It’s best to reheat only what you will eat, reheat in the microwave or small pot on the stove. If you are planning to consume all the leftovers you could also reheat right in the Instant Pot on Sauté mode.
You can make 1.5 times the recipe in an 8 quart or 10 quart Instant Pot with the same cook time. Unfortunately a 6 quart Instant Pot is too small for that or any size Instant Pot for a double batch of soup.
Because of heavy cream, I recommend to add ricotta or mozzarella to each bowl for serving, so soup isn’t overly rich.
I don’t recommend to use pre-cooked noodles because they are par cooked and will come out mushy. And I don’t suggest to reduce cook time because it is necessary to cook the raw chicken.
If you find your chicken turned out a bit chewy to your liking or you would rather prep chicken before cooking the soup, cut chicken breasts into 1-2 inch pieces and add to the Instant Pot, then cook. It will be same cook time!
More Lasagna Recipes to Try
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes to Try
- Instant Pot zuppa toscana
- Instant Pot chicken tortilla soup
- Instant Pot chicken and rice soup
- Instant Pot chicken and noodle soup
- Instant Pot Thai chicken soup
- Instant Pot chicken wild rice soup
Instant Pot White Chicken Lasagna Soup
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup carrots shredded or grated
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes thinly sliced, with a bit of their oil
- 6 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 9 lasagna noodles broken into small pieces
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for frying
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup parsley or basil finely chopped
- Press Saute and wait until Instant Pot says Hot. Swirl oil to coat and add onion and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add Italian seasoning and saute for another 30 seconds, stirring once. Press Cancel.
- Add carrots, chicken breasts, sun dried tomatoes, chicken broth, heavy cream, lasagna noodles, salt and pepper. Stir well to separate the noodles.
- Close the lid, set valve to Sealing and press Pressure Cook on High or Manual for 4 minutes.
- After wait 5 minutes and then turn pressure release valve to Venting to release remaining pressure, called Quick Release.
- Remove chicken breasts on a cutting board and shred thinly with 2 forks or chop into small cubes. Return to the Instant Pot along with spinach, Parmesan cheese and parsley or basil, and stir.
- Garnish individual bowls of soup with more Parmesan cheese. Serve hot with a slice of bread.