Where do I begin?! Let me just say this: I’m not a huge mac and cheese person but I love roasted cauliflower. Now here is a mind blowing combination: pasta, roasted cauliflower and garlic, and cheese => baked and I died. I’m serious. This cauliflower mac and cheese is such an awesome hybrid of two dishes and I think I have beaten even the best Weight Watchers recipe. Delicious and you are sneaking in half of large cauliflower head in here. My kids had seconds, licked the plates and after my toddler told me “I like you”.
This cauliflower mac and cheese is lighter comfort food but still so much flavour and texture. When you rice or finely chop cauliflower and add to a comforting casserole, it brings volume, lowers calories and fats, and adds flavour. I sneaked in half of a large head in here and my kids licked the plates and forks.
I have promised to post this recipe back in Spring but it never happened. I apologize it’s a little bit late but in time for Fall and Winter comfort food days.
I used brown rice penne pasta and organic marble cheese. You can also use quinoa or corn pasta and any of your favourite cheese.
The higher fat content, the tastier cheese is. But you could definitely go for reduced fat cheese. I personally don’t care lately because I do not eat much cheese and when I do it’s very little. I like this cauliflower mac and cheese casserole best when it cools down a bit and cut into slices.
You could also throw in some broccoli or peas. It freezes really well too.
For milk, I have previously used 1% cow’s milk and unsweetened soy milk this time. Both tasted delicious. Any milk would work, just make sure it’s not flavoured or sweetened.
I haven’t tried to make this cauliflower mac and cheese casserole gluten free but if you have experience with arrowroot powder or any gluten free flour, feel free to use it. Cornstarch should work too but will change the colour of the dish to lighter green. Enjoy!
- 8 oz brown rice penne pasta
- 1/2 large head cauliflower (1.5 lbs), riced in a food processor or minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (I used spelt)
- 2 cups milk (I tried with 1% cow's and plain soy milk => both delish)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups (8 oz) marble cheese, shredded & divided
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray 9" x 13" baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and add pasta. Cook for 10 minutes on low, stirring occasionally. Drain, rinse with cold water, drain again and transfer to a large mixing bowl. If using any other pasta, follow package instructions and under cook by 4 minutes. Also add cauliflower to the bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat large skillet on low heat and add olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add flour and cook for another minute or until flour is well combined. Whisk in milk, raising heat to medium - high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low - medium and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, add 1 cup of cheese, salt and black pepper, and stir until the sauce is smooth. Pour into the bowl with pasta and cauliflower, mix well. The mixture should be thick and not saucy.
- Transfer mixture to previously prepared baking dish, level with spatula and top with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and golden crust and edges appear. Cut into 9 slices and serve hot.
Servings Per Recipe: 9
Amount Per Serving = 1 slice:
Total Fat: 9.7 g
Cholesterol: 16.8 mg
Sodium: 364.7 mg
Total Carbs: 27.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.8 g
Protein: 10.9 g
WW Points+: 6
And before you go… In the past 5 months, I have been testing 25 of these Clean Slow Cooker Recipes. I’m still in a process of putting the recipes together in a book that will be available for sale on October 5th. In the meanwhile, you can sign up below to receive a 20% OFF coupon by email. This discount is for email subscribers only and won’t be offered on the eBook launch date.
What’s inside the eBook:
- 25 brand new recipes that have never appeared on iFOODreal before
- 20+ gluten free recipes
- Easy, kid frienldy recipes with nutritional info including WW Points+
- Lots of chicken and quinoa + more healthy comfort food like Parmesan Chicken Meatballs, my mom’s Ukrainian Borscht and Kale Artichoke Lasagna and so much more. Would you be surprised to hear that you can make a Philly Cheesesteak in a slow cooker too?!
To sign up, just enter your Name and Email below and you will receive 20% OFF code on eBook’s launch date – Oct 5th. Thank you so much for supporting my blog!!!