This healthy mushroom stroganoff is a great replacement for traditional Russian beef stroganoff. Made with brown mushrooms, Greek yogurt and brown rice pasta (my favourite for this recipe), this vegetable stroganoff is hearty and healthier than traditional heavy cream version.
I was pleasantly surprised to see that even without meat and being full of pasta it has a whopping 20 g of protein per serving. Those mushrooms, pasta and yogurt. I used 2% organic Greek yogurt I found at Costco. I prefer it to 0% because it’s creamier and is better for us.
I’m so proud of myself and kids with this vegetarian mushroom stroganoff. I’ll tell you why.
Even 6 months ago my kids wouldn’t eat mushrooms. It was killing me because cremini mushrooms have so much flavour and make a great meat substitute. Then I made Parmesan mushrooms around Christmas and surprisingly they ate them. I guess all that cheese. Then it hit me they might like mushrooms not chopped but rather whole. Yep, bingo. I can’t say they both love them but definitely warming up to them. My 4 year old was specifically picking out mushrooms in his mushroom stroganoff. Wow! We also played a game who can “fish” for mushrooms with a fork since they are so round and wiggly.:) That worked too.
Do your kids eat mushrooms? Try these kid friendly mushroom dinner ideas:
Healthy Mushroom Stroganoff
Healthy Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe made creamy with Greek yogurt and brown rice pasta for a healthier classic comfort food experience.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 4 cups brown rice (GF) or whole wheat short pasta, uncooked (I used fusilli)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp butter, salted
- 3 lbs brown mushrooms, small whole and large halved (washed)
- 2 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 tbsp non-GMO cornstarch
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, plain (I used 2%)
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup parsley or dill, finely chopped
- Cook pasta al dente as per package instructions.
- In the meanwhile, preheat large deep skillet on medium heat and melt butter. Add onions and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Push onions to the sides of skillet and add mushrooms in the middle, increasing heat to medium – high. Cook for 10 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally.*
- In a medium bowl, whisk chicken broth with cornstarch and add to the skillet. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and let sauce simmer for a few minutes or until thickened. Remove skillet from heat** and slowly add Greek yogurt, stirring until smooth and creamy. Add pasta, gently stir. Serve hot sprinkled with fresh dill or parsley.
Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 2 days. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
*I once covered the skillet while cooking mushrooms and the dish was too watery. **It is important to remove skillet from heat before adding yogurt to prevent it from separating.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.