Thug Kitchen Chili
In a true Thug Kitchen’s style, I should say holy f*** about this one pot chili mac with beer I made from their new cookbook Thug Kitchen 101.
It is seriously, THE shit, in my own words. Chili meets macaroni and cheese, meets soup. The spices were spot on. Perfect winter comfort food. Just the best!
I got Thug Kitchen book before the holidays and thought what a perfect time to post a one pot healthy comfort food recipe before the Super Bowl.
I have to say I rarely cook from cookbooks because for obvious reasons.
How to Make One Pot Chili Mac
So, I’m not sure if you ever had a hybrid of chili and mac but I haven’t. Because simply I am not from here. This skillet chili mac recipe caught my attention immediately because ingredients are simple and it takes less than 30 minutes to make.
I was concerned if it would be too spicy for kids but I guess when there is pasta involved, there are usually no problems. I used brown rice elbow (kinda) macaroni. And it was so tasty!
I also added a bit of jarred green olives and artichokes that had to be used and the result was fantastic! If you eat this one pot chili mac immediately, it is more of a soupy consistency. Give it 30 minutes, and it becomes thick. You can use cheese or nutritional yeast to keep it vegan as the original (Thug Kitchen books are vegan).
And beer. Let’s give attention to half a bottle of beer that goes into this chili mac (the other half I just finished writing this post because Friday, snow and beer). OMG I think I will cook all stews and soups with beer from now on, which wouldn’t be totally awkward for me considering my love for wine.
I used Granville Island’s dark ale and it added such a depth of flavour to this chili. Enjoy and I hope everyone wins!
More Healthy Mac and Chili Recipes
- Healthy white chicken chili
- Zucchini mac and cheese
- Roasted cauliflower mac and cheese casserole
- Healthy turkey chili
- Mac and cheese muffins
I received this book free from HarperCollins Canada in exchange for an honest review which I offered. You all need this plant-based book in your lives!Print
One Pot Chili Mac with Beer
One Pot Chili Mac Recipe from Thug Kitchen 101 cookbook with beer, beans, pasta, olives, spices and cheese or make it vegan, all in 30 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: One Pot Meal
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: North American
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and minced (or with seeds and more to taste)
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin, ground
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2–3 tbsp tomato paste, low sodium
- 14 oz can tomato sauce, low sodium
- 1 cup beer
- 3 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 3 cups elbow macaroni (whole wheat or brown rice)
- 2 x 14 oz cans of black/red/pinto beans, rinsed and drained, low sodium
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 1 cup olives or artichokes from a jar, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (like Colby Jack) or 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (for vegans)
- Preheat large dutch oven or soup pot on medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add carrot, bell pepper, jalapeño and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, paprika and salt; stir and cook for a minute or two. Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, beer, broth and bring to a boil. Add pasta, stir, cover and cook for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat and add beans, honey, lime juice, olives/artichokes and cheese/nutritional yeast. Stir and adjust seasoning to taste. Serve hot.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.