Who doesn’t love a combo of chicken and rice, right?! This healthy chicken and rice casserole is one of my older recipes I gave a makeover. In fact, entire family loved it so much, we used it for the about page photoshoot, so you get all the goods. What I mean by that is that you get to see 10 out of 300 pictures Alex took.
Because you didn’t know how hard it is to chop broccoli, correct?! Thought so.
That hard, aha. Not sure what was my struggle but obviously there was one.
So. Originally, like with any casserole, I used a skillet to pre-cook chicken, a pot to cook rice and then a baking dish to bake casserole in. Whoa-whoa-whoa, it’s almost 2018! We can do so much better and prepare chicken and rice casserole without canned soup, and in just ONE POT. One pot, my friends. One Lodge dutch oven pot, I love it!
Isn’t it a beauty?! Not mushy and yet moist, with moderate amount of animal products and with 1.5 lbs of broccoli, this healthy chicken and brown rice casserole will become a staple in your house. You and yours will love it! So easy to make as well.
So, 👋 Betty and 🤝 Olena. Let’s do it!
How to Make Healthy Chicken and Rice Casserole
While oven is preheating, sauté chicken with spices to help flavours develop.
Any healthy chicken rice casserole starts with brown rice that is higher in fiber and nutrition than white rice, thus leaving you satisfied for much longer. It takes longer to cook but good thing is you don’t have to stir it.
Add any low sodium broth (I used vegetable bouillon cubes – see ingredients picture above), stir and bring everything to a boil. This step reduces baking time.
Add broccoli on top in a single layer and do not stir.
We want rice to be submerged in liquid to cook properly and broccoli not to become a mushy mess. I am not a lover of mushy vegetables but cooked broccoli went really well with creamy rice.
You will see.
Bake at 400 degrees F for 40 minutes. Double chin and ripped jeans, yup, I’ve got it all.
Once casserole is baked, add yogurt, green onion and stir. Sprinkle with cheese and bake until cheese has melted.
That’s it, my friends! Wow, I’ve got muscles, to compensate for my double chin.Print
Healthy Chicken and Rice Casserole in One Pot
Healthy Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe with brown rice, broccoli and no canned soup makes one easy baked healthy comfort food from scratch.
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 57 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 lb boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups brown rice, rinsed & drained
- 4 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock, low sodium
- 8 cups (1.5 lbs) broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup plain yogurt, fat 2+%
- 1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup marble or any hard cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Preheat large dutch oven on medium-high heat and swirl oil to coat. Add chicken, garlic powder, oregano, salt, pepper and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add rice and stock, stir and bring to a boil. Lay broccoli on top and do not stir, cover and bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, add yogurt and green onion, stir. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake until cheese has melted. Serve hot.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Freeze: Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in a fridge overnight. Reheat in a microwave or in the oven at 375 F for 10 minutes.
I like to use brown jasmine or basmati rice because grains stay separated once cooked. I used organic bouillon cubes to make vegetable stock.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.