Cauliflower Risotto with brown mushrooms and cauliflower rice sautéed in flavourful broth in 15 minutes. Hearty and healthy low carb dinner with amazing reviews.
This cauliflower risotto is quick enough for a light weeknight dinner because riced cauliflower cooks 3 minutes vs. rice that takes 40 minutes. Not to mention the low carb-ness of cauliflower rice risotto, the dreaded carbs!
Truth is we need carbs, complex carbs, not simple white bread and pasta carbs, Just not as much as we eat them here in North America. And another issue is that we do not move enough to burn off those carbs. Again, thanks to comfortable life in North America!
So, that’s how we got to reality of making risotto with cauliflower instead of rice in 21st century. And that’s OK because I like it! It is so flavorful and hearty – just read the reviews! There are golden brown mushrooms sauteed with garlic and onion, then sprinkled with cheese and parsley.
What Is Cauliflower Rice?
Cauliflower rice is simply ground up cauliflower. You can make your own at home or you can buy pre-made cauliflower rice at Trader Joe’s, Walmart, Costco etc. 1 bag of “rice” replaces a medium head of cauliflower.
I usually go the first route because Canadian stores either do not sell cauliflower rice cheap or most don’t carry it. Yup, welcome to Canada! We get all cool things last, I swear.
How to Make Cauliflower Risotto
- In a food processor, add cauliflower florets in 3-4 batches and process until “rice” forms. The key to proper coarse “rice” texture is not to overcrowd the bowl of food processor. Or use a bag of store bought cauliflower rice.
- Cook brown mushrooms until golden on high heat.
- Now it’s time to add flavor with onion and garlic. Just saute them.
- Combine all ingredients with broth, salt and pepper. Stir, cover and cook for 4 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add Parmesan and mozzarella cheese and parsley; stir until cheese is melted. Serve warm.
What to Serve Cauliflower Risotto With?
I would serve cauliflower mushroom risotto with:
- Baked chicken breast
- Super easy Instant Pot chicken breast or
- Killer baked chicken thighs. And that’s exactly what I did. 🙂
Doesn’t it look amazing? Who needs to go out?! True date night at home healthy dinner! The kind of night me and Alex are about 2 years overdue because apparently older kids don’t go to bed as early as they used to, especially in summer. But come fall-winter, in our new house, I promised myself!
Eat Low Carb? More Cauliflower Rice Recipes for You:
- Cauliflower fried rice
- Thai cauliflower rice
- Cilantro lime cauliflower rice
- Chicken cauliflower rice and beans
- May I suggest 24 other cauliflower rice recipes because again, scary carbs?!:)
Easy Cauliflower Risotto Recipe with brown mushrooms and cauliflower rice sautéed in flavourful broth all in 15 minutes. Hearty and healthy low carb dinner with amazing reviews.
- Prep Time: 12 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 24 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 small (2 lbs) head of cauliflower, cut into large florets*
- 1.5 lbs brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, low sodium**
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- In a food processor, add cauliflower florets in 3-4 batches and process until “rice” forms. The key to proper coarse rice texture is not to overcrowd the bowl of food processor. Transfer to a medium bowl and set aside.
- Preheat large non-stick skillet on medium – high heat and add mushrooms. Cook until golden brown or about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a medium bowl and set aside.
- Return skillet to medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add onion and garlic, sauté until translucent or about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked mushrooms, cauliflower “rice”, broth, salt and pepper. Stir, cover and cook for 4 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add Parmesan and mozzarella cheese and parsley; stir until cheese is melted. Serve warm with chicken of choice (I like almond crusted chicken).
Store: Keep refrigerated in a glass airtight container for up to 2 days.
*Or use a bag of store bought cauliflower rice. If using frozen, don’t thaw and add a few minutes to cooking time.
**Sub half of the stock with white wine if you wish.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.