Healthy Banana Bread Recipe
Banana bread is a staple in our house. It is perfect as a school snack or for breakfast (spread with butter – yum!). Learn how to make our easy healthy banana bread with applesauce. So easy my 12 year old makes it.
Your perfect banana bread should be moist. Have glossy and sticky top. And with a crack. When you take a bite it melts in your mouth. In my world, it is the best healthy banana bread. And you are looking at it right now!
Is Banana Bread Healthy?
Well. Where do I begin?! I think everyone has their own definition of “healthy”. And I think my banana bread recipe is super healthy for the following reasons. If you don’t eat entire loaf in a day.:)
- Natural sweetener like maple syrup or honey replaces refined sugar.
- Applesauce replaces almost a cup of oil. It makes banana bread moist.
- Whole wheat flour adds fiber, nutrients and vitamins unlike the all-purpose flour stripped of everything that’s good for us.
Super Healthy Banana Bread Ingredients:
- Whole wheat flour
If you can find a more simple healthy banana bread recipe with only 1/3 cup of maple syrup and without 1 cup of vegetable oil, feel free to leave it in comments.
What Can I Substitute Applesauce With?
Here are my thoughts and what has worked for some readers:
- Extra ripe large banana
- Greek yogurt with 2% fat content and higher
- Pureed fresh apples
What Are the Best Bananas?
- Very yellow ripe bananas with brown spots.
- The uglier bananas, the better.
- Even uglier than in my photo and video are perfect.
How to Make Banana Bread with Fresh Bananas:
If you don’t have going bad bananas, don’t fret. To “ripen” bananas faster:
- Bake yellow bananas with skin on for 20 minutes at 300 degrees F oven.
- Place a few ripened bananas or apples with unripened ones in a brown bag. Close tightly and wait 1-2 days. The ethylene gases from the ripened fruit will speed up the ripening.
- Peel and slice bananas, place them on a plate and microwave for 30 seconds or until they sizzle.
What Flour Can I Use?
Whole wheat flour or spelt flour. Flours that don’t work with this recipe are almond flour, coconut flour and all purpose white flour. I have not tested this recipe with any gluten free flour.
How to Make Healthy Banana Bread
- Mash bananas with a masher. Add eggs and I like to “whisk” them with the same masher haha.
- Add all other ingredients except flour. “Stir” with the same masher. I know, I’m fancy but there is really no need for extra tool and bowl. Quick bread is not a cake.
- Add flour and stir gently until incorporated. Do not mix too much.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about an hour.
Tip: Let cool completely before slicing. Will make all the difference. Been there, done that haha.
What Mix Ins Can I Add?
You can add 1/2 to 1 cup of these add ons without any other changes to the recipe.
- Nuts: chopped or pieces. Walnuts, pecans etc.
- Chocolate chips
- Blueberries: fresh or frozen.
Can I Make This Banana Bread into Muffins?
Yes. Not sure how many muffins it will make. And you will have to bake them for 18-22 minutes. Just keep an eye.
More Healthy Banana Bread Recipes
- Healthy banana muffins with 5 star reviews and kids love them!
- Coconut flour banana bread – gluten free and moist.
- Almond flour banana muffins – hands down most popular recipe on ifoodreal.com
- Banana oat bars are perfect for healthy breakfast on the go.
Watch Olena Make Healthy Banana Bread
And don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly cooking videos!Print
Healthy Banana Bread
Wanna reduce kids sugar intake? This is THE BEST healthy, moist and simple banana bread recipe your kids will actually eat!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- Category: Snack
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: North American
- 4 medium very ripe bananas (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 eggs, large
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 tbsp avocado or coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder, aluminum free
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat or spelt flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 9 x 5 loaf pan with unbleached parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas with a fork or a masher. Add eggs, applesauce, maple syrup, oil, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda and salt; whisk to combine (masher works fine).
- Add flour and stir gently just enough to mix. Pour batter in prepared loaf pan and bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Then transfer to a cooling rack to cool off completely. Cut into 10 slices and enjoy.
Store: Keep in a cool dry place in a glass airtight container for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.