My local farmer’s zucchini season is in full swing, yay!!! Therefore, super simple recipe and truly healthy zucchini bread with applesauce, honey and whole wheat or spelt flour. No white flour, no sugar, no oil without sacrificing the flavour or moistness. This bread came out super delicious and very moist from all those freshly grated zucchini and applesauce. Honey and cinnamon add a really nice flavour touch to zucchini bread. Feel free to add chopped nuts, chocolate chips, dried cranberries etc. I didn’t because I really wanted just a simple sweet with no sugar zucchini bread with my cup of coffee or tea.
If you have got more than you know what to do with zucchinis, make and freeze banana zucchini muffins and lemon zucchini muffins, eat until you can’t healthy zucchini brownies, or find recipe that appeals to you among other 30 healthy zucchini recipes.
Hope you are enjoying your summer!
How to Make Healthy Zucchini Bread
Healthy zucchini bread’s ingredients are super simple, wholesome and most likely you have on hand: 2 medium zucchini, egg, honey, applesauce, vanilla extract, cinnamon, baking powder and soda, salt, and whole wheat or spelt flour.
Combine all ingredients, except zucchini and flour, in a bowl and whisk well. Mixture will be foamy and bubbly because applesauce reacts with baking soda right away.
Coarsely grate zucchini. Do not squeeze and do not pat dry. Just pack tightly 2 cups. We want all the juices for moist and healthy whole wheat zucchini bread.
Add flour and stir until well mixed. I wouldn’t be too concerned with over mixing. Batter won’t be as thick as traditional muffin batter.
Pour into regular size loaf pan and bake for 60 mins. Photo shows a longer and skinnier loaf pan because I like to have fun.
Bake, cool, slice and enjoy! You know the drill.:)
Healthy Zucchini Bread
Healthy Zucchini Bread with applesauce, whole wheat or spelt flour and honey. Super delicious, easy and moist recipe; no oil or sugar.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 12 slices
- 2 cups grated zucchini (packed and not squeezed)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup raw honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder, aluminum free
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups whole wheat or spelt flour
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Chocolate chips, nuts etc., options add-ons (I didn’t)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, line 9 x 5 loaf pan with unbleached parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add egg, applesauce, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt; whisk until combined. Add zucchini and stir. Add flour and mix gently with a spatula just enough to combine. Pour batter into previously prepared loaf pan and bake for 60 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack to cool off for 10 minutes. Holding onto the flaps of parchment paper remove healthy zucchini bread from a loaf pan and let it cool off completely before slicing with sharp serrated knife.
Store: Store covered in a cool dry place for up to 5 days. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.