This post explains How to Ripen Bananas Faster in the oven so you can make your favorite banana bread recipe today. No need to wait for overripe bananas for days anymore!
Table of Contents
When you need overripe bananas quickly to make your favorite healthy dessert, just bake it in the oven for 30 minutes and voila. Not only this is my-go to trick for baking with bananas any time, I also freeze bananas whenever I see one too ready to eat.
Use this trick!
How to Ripen Bananas in the Oven
Here is a quick overview how to ripen bananas in the oven. It is so easy in 2 simple steps!!!
- Bake bananas: Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Place yellow unpeeled bananas in a single layer on large rimmed baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes or until banana skin is brown and some liquid is oozing.
- Cool and peel: Remove baked bananas from the oven, let cool for about 15 minutes or until safe to handle, peel, mash and use in your favorite banana recipes.
Other Methods to Ripen Bananas Faster
If you have more time or do not have the oven, check out these methods how to ripen bananas faster.
- Brown paper bag method – 24-36 hours: Place yellow bananas in brown lunch bag along with high-ethylene producing fruit like ripe banana, apple, avocado or pear and close tightly. This ripening process isn’t super fast but faster than leaving bananas in the open.
- In a bunch – 24-48 hours: Leaven unripe bananas in a bunch instead of separating them. It means more ethylene emitted in one area and faster ripening.
- In a warm spot – 24-48 hours: Place a bunch of bananas in a warm spot like sunny window, near a heater or above your refrigerator.
- In air fryer – 8-10 minutes: Bake in preheated air fryer at 300 F for about 8-10 minutes. Overripe bananas should be dark brown just like with an oven method.
- In a microwave 30 seconds-2 minutes: Poke bananas with a fork to allow steam to escape. Microwave in 30 seconds increments until bananas look over ripen, are soft and fragrant.
Our Favorite Recipes Using Overripe Bananas
- Oat flour banana bread
- Almond flour banana bread
- Coconut flour banana bread
- Protein banana bread
- Healthy zucchini banana bread
- Almond flour banana muffins
- Carrot banana muffins
- Pumpkin banana muffins
- Chocolate chip banana muffins
- Blueberry banana muffins
- Oatmeal banana muffins
No. While oven method will help to soften the bananas, it won’t change the flavor. So use yellow bananas to ripen in the oven.
Any high ethylene-producing fruit like banana, apple, avocado, plum, nectarine, peach, pear or even potato.
When its skin is brown and it is oozing sugar and liquid a bit, your over ripen bananas are ready.
No. Plastic bag will not work the same as paper bag.
Storing Ripe Bananas
There is no need to throw away your ripe bananas if the yare past their prime time for eating raw. They are perfect for making baked good naturally sweet and moist.
I have put together a detailed post on how to freeze bananas. Here is a quick recap:
Throw ripe unpeeled bananas in the freezer bags in the freezer for up to 6-8 months. You can also freeze them sliced or cut in half in a resealable plastic bag.
When ready to use, just thaw your bananas on a plate on a counter first. Then peel and use it all including the liquids.
How to Ripen Bananas Faster
- Yellow bananas
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Separate bananas and place on baking sheet. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until banana skin is brown and oozing some liquid.
- Remove from the oven, cool for 15 minutes or until safe to handle and peel. Use in your favorite banana recipes like banana bread.