There are three kinds of muffins that I keep making over and over again: healthy chocolate muffins, healthy blueberry muffins and these healthy banana muffins. In summer, I like to change things up with banana zucchini muffins and in Fall, we can’t get enough of carrot oatmeal muffins. When it comes to muffins, kids love simplicity. I tried to play a fancy mom many-many-many times and the most plain basic recipes win.
These whole wheat banana muffins are made healthy with applesauce, maple syrup (honey), and no refined sugar. Moist, easy, perfect for freezing and school lunches. Whenever I feel like kids didn’t eat too many sweets that week, I add chocolate chips. Otherwise, I play “a mean mom”. They “inhale” these banana muffins in any case, that’s why I always double the recipe. See reviews for yourself.:)
How to Make Healthy Banana Muffins
Choose ripe bananas that are yellow with brown spots.
Whisk the egg and mash bananas in the same bowl.
If you like extremely (!) moist banana muffins, use 4 bananas (2 cups).
Add applesauce, maple syrup, oil (any works), vanilla, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk really well to combine.
Now add flour and gently stir until well incorporated. Do not over mix otherwise muffins will be tough. You can use whole wheat or spelt flour. Latter yields a tad lighter muffins than whole wheat flour. I love it!
Divide batter evenly between openings of a 12 muffin tin. I like to play safe when it comes to muffins, and use a non-stick muffin tin (I love silicone one but it was busy) => non-stick liners => sprayed with cooking spray. You can tell I baked a fair share of muffins with cute $ store paper liners muffins. DON’T!
Bake for 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let muffins cool for about 5 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack to cool off completely.
Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Healthy Banana Muffins
Healthy banana muffins recipe with applesauce, whole wheat flour and no sugar. Moist, easy, freezer friendly and an absolute hit with everyone!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins
- 1 large egg
- 3 large (1 1/2 cups) very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 3 tbsp olive, avocado or coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder, aluminum free
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat or spelt flour
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray non-stick 12 muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, lightly beat the egg. Add bananas and mash well. Add remaining ingredients, except flour, and whisk to combine. Now add flour and gently stir until well incorporated. Do not over mix otherwise muffins will be tough.
- Fill each tin almost full with batter (I used regular ice cream scoop) and bake for 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let muffins cool for about 5 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack to cool off completely.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.