When it comes to baked goods, kids love simplicity. These easy healthy banana muffins with applesauce, whole wheat flour and no refined sugar win every.single.time. Moist, kid friendly and an absolute hit with everyone. See reviews and comments yourself!
This Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe Is
- Low fat
- Low sugar
- Low calorie
- Kid friendly
- Clean eating
What Are Healthy Banana Muffins Ingredients?
- Maple syrup
- Whole wheat flour
FAQs About Bananas for Baking
What Are Over Ripen Bananas?
Choose very ripe bananas that are yellow with many brown spots. Yellow bananas with many brown spots to brown patches are good. Bruised bananas are even better. Scary looking brown bananas are awesome. My husband always tries to throw them away. And I scream “NOOOO”.
Can I Use “Normal” Bananas?
No. Regular bananas do not contain enough sugar to make moist healthy banana muffins. But below are tips how to make bananas ripen faster.
3 Ways to Make Bananas Ripen Faster
- Paper Bag: Place a few ripened bananas or apples with unripened ones in a brown bag. Close tightly and wait 1-2 days. The ethylene gases from the ripened fruit will speed up the ripening.
- Bake: Place unpeeled bananas on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Let them cook, remove black skin and mash.
- Microwave: Not my favorite method but it works. Peel and slice bananas, place them on a plate and microwave for 30 seconds or until they sizzle.
How to Make Healthy Banana Muffins
1. Mash Bananas and Egg
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray non-stick 12 muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, add bananas and mash well. Then I add eggs and using same masher I “whisk” the eggs.
2. Add Other Liquid Ingredients
Add applesauce, maple syrup, oil, vanilla, baking powder and soda and salt. Whisk to combine. Or I use the same masher to “whisk”.
3. Add Dry Ingredients
Add flour and gently stir until well incorporated. I give a few stirs and let batter sit a few seconds. Then stir in a different direction. Try to stir from the very bottom.
Do Not Over Mix
When you mix vigorously for a long period of time, gluten in flour starts to develop. Muffins will come out rubbery and tough.
Possible Add Ons
This recipe is for plain banana muffins. You can add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of these add ons without any other changes to the recipe.
- Nuts: chopped or pieces. Walnuts, pecans etc.
- Chocolate chips
- Blueberries: fresh or frozen.
Fill each opening almost full with batter (I used regular ice cream scoop) and bake muffins for 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Let muffins cool for about 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool off completely.
Healthy Banana Muffins Substitutions
When it comes to baking, it is best to follow the recipe as much as possible. Baking is a science and it does not like substitutions. But below I have included a few that I think will work. And a few warnings as well.:)
- Bananas: If you like extremely moist banana muffins use 4 bananas (2 cups). Did you think you could replace bananas with something else, silly?!:)
- Flour: The only flours I recommend to use is whole wheat flour and spelt flour. I do not suggest to use all purpose flour or coconut flour because all flours act differently. You may be OK with white whole wheat flour or wheat pastry flour. If you would like to use almond flour, check out my almond flour banana muffins.
- Maple syrup: Honey, agave or any other liquid sweetener works. Not dry sweetener like sugar. you have to keep dry to wet ingredients ratio.
- Applesauce: Substitute with Greek yogurt 2% and higher fat content. Please do not use non-fat yogurt. Muffins will not taste good.
- Oil: Avocado, olive, grapeseed oil works. Coconut oil is great too. It has to be melted and measured after.
More FAQs About Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe
- Can I make a small batch? Yes. Cut recipe in half and make 6 muffins. But why would you? You can freeze these healthy muffins for up to 3 months!
- Can I make mini muffins? Yes. Bake for 15 minutes and do a toothpick test. Bake more if necessary.
- Can I bake these muffins as a bread? Check out my healthy banana bread. It is very similar recipe and guarantees 100% results.
More Healthy Banana Bread Muffins Recipes
Healthy Banana Muffins
Easy Healthy Banana Muffins Recipe with applesauce, whole wheat or spelt flour and no sugar. Moist and an absolute hit with everyone!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins
- 1 large egg
- 3 large (1 1/2 cups) very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 3 tbsp olive, avocado or coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder, aluminum free
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cups whole wheat or spelt flour
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray non-stick 12 muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, lightly whisk the egg. Add bananas and mash well. Add applesauce, maple syrup, oil, vanilla, baking powder and soda and salt; whisk to combine.
- Add flour and gently stir until well incorporated. Do not over mix otherwise muffins will be tough.
- Fill each opening almost full with batter (I used regular ice cream scoop) and bake for 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool for about 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool off completely.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.