What a great true summer weekend we have had! How was yours?
On Friday temperatures have soared up to +30s C and we couldn’t get enough. I went for a walk (Friday night) and run (Saturday morning which was dumb-dumb because of cottonwood allergies and crazy heat) on the dykes. Hit the farmer’s market (kids lost iPad privileges permanently) and fireworks with the family on Saturday. And on Sunday we cleaned up the yard and spent afternoon till sunset at the lake. At home I had a glass of chilled unoaked chardonnay and wished kids didn’t have school (wait, what?! must have been that heat) and Alex didn’t have to go to work, so we could all just keep having out. In other words, I wished for a different Monday. Don’t we all this time of the year? Or any time?! Honestly, I love Mondays because I love my job.
Hot summer nights mean not only fireworks in the sky but less sparkles in the kitchen. Last Thursday, I made this lemon dill shrimp and zucchini with a few handfuls of frozen green peas at the end. They add fiber and a nice pop of colour. But don’t cook them because green peas turn into nasty green colour when cooked. Taste wise – I also prefer fresh peas.
All ingredients in this lemon dill shrimp dish require barely any cooking. Starting with shrimp sautéed for just a few minutes per side in some grass fed butter (my preference and how is shrimp possible without butter?!). Then few minutes for zucchini otherwise overcooked zucchini look like soaked up in water cotton pads. True that.
And then spices…just a pinch.
I served shrimp and zucchini on top of cooked quinoa. On its own, this is quite light dinner or very expensive otherwise. Of course, I would love to eat all this shrimp by myself and maybe then all these veggies will fill me up. That is if I am dreaming. In reality, I gotta share with the boys and if I don’t add quinoa I will find myself eating a protein bar at 8PM and Alex laughing at me. So, let’s get real, friends.
Lemon Dill Shrimp, Zucchini & Peas in 15 Minutes
- 1 lb large shrimp deveined & pat dried
- 2 tbsp butter divided
- 1/2 tsp himalayan pink salt divided
- Ground black pepper to taste
Zucchini and Peas:
- 2 lbs zucchini chopped into quarters
- 2 cups green peas fresh or thawed
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 2 tbsp avocado or coconut oil
- 1 large lemon zest and juice of
- 1/2 tsp himalayan pink salt
- 3 tbsp dill finely chopped
- Shrimp: Preheat cast iron or ceramic non-stick skillet on medium heat and swirl 1 tbsp of butter to coat. Add shrimp in a single layer, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt, ground black pepper and cook for 3 minutes. Turn, add remaining 1 tbsp of butter, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt, pepper and cook for another 3 minutes, not touching. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Zucchini and Peas: Return skillet to medium heat and swirl avocado oil to coat. Add garlic and cook for 10 seconds. Add zucchini and cook for 4-5 minutes or until cooked but firm, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat and add peas, lemon juice, salt and zest; stir gently. Sprinkle with dill and serve warm on its own or on top of a bed of quinoa, brown rice, farro, whole wheat pasta etc.
Store: Refrigerate in a glass airtight container for up to 2 days.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.