Parmesan Zucchini Sticks are big on flavor, low calorie and outrageously tasty. Slices of zucchini baked until crispy and cheese melted on top with simple spices.
Baked Parmesan Zucchini sticks is one of the easiest zucchini recipes EVER! What I like is 10 minute prep, how firm zucchini turns out and melted herbed Parmesan cheese on top. And those burnt bits on the bottom of the baking sheet are the best! 🙂
Zucchini with Parmesan cheese is a match made in heaven. Lots of flavor and little calories.
Zucchini is an easy to grow and affordable vegetable during July-August. It is low in calorie, fat and high in fiber. Which means you can eat a lot of zucchini with little calories and keep your belly full longer. That’s also why it’s in tons of my recipes; including grilled zucchini, Pad Thai with zoodles, stuffed zucchini boats, zucchini casserole, lasagna, and a zucchini potato bake (among many).
I’m also obsessed with hiding zucchini into my baked recipes, for extra nutrients and healthy bakes without the flavor – like this zucchini lemon bread, zucchini brownies, and zucchini banana muffins!
Ingredients You Will Need
Baked Parmesan zucchini contains 5 simple ingredients:
- Zucchini: This recipe works best with small-medium zucchini you can just cut in halves. If you have large garden zucchini, cut into 2 inch thick rounds.
- Parmesan cheese: Nothing beats freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Pre-grated cheese in a shaker works but doesn’t taste the same as it contains fillers like cellulose. I usually buy fresh Parmesan hunk at Costco, cut a piece to use for now and freeze the rest.
- Dried oregano: You can also use dried basil, thyme or Italian seasoning in equal amount or any combination of.
- Salt and pepper.
How to Make Baked Parmesan Zucchini Sticks
While zucchini naturally contains a lot of water, it is all retained inside the wedges.
- Slice zucchini in halves, so their flat surface will hold cheese and spices.
- Make cheese herb mixture by combining Parmesan cheese, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle mixture on top of zucchini – about 1 1/2 tsp per each slice. When spreading, go slow so precious bits do not fall on the baking sheet and stay there.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes; then broil for 5 minutes.
How to Serve and Store
- Side dish: You can serve zucchini strips as a side dish.
- Appetizer or snack: Or literally eat by the stick for a snack. Dip into marinara, salsa, pesto or my mom’s adjika.
- With protein: Baked chicken breast, baked salmon in foil or cilantro lime chicken. Low carb dinner right there.
Store: Zucchini sticks stay fresh and firm in the fridge for up to 3 days. That is if crazy thing “leftovers” even possible with this yummy recipe.
Another rule in life is to never freeze zucchini. They will thaw stringy and yucky.
Why Zucchini Is Good for You
Courgette aka zucchini aka summer squash is high in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory phytonutrients, vitamins C, B, K and potassium.
Fun fact: Did you know it’s classified as a fruit? I didn’t.
More Zucchini Recipes
- Lemon dill shrimp, zucchini & Peas
- Mediterranean baked zucchini sticks
- Baked zucchini fritters
- Chicken zucchini casserole
- Sauteed zucchini
- Caprese chicken and zucchini
- Chicken, zucchini and corn
- Zucchini bake with garlic and tomatoes
Enjoy, friends, and let me know how you liked Parmesan zucchini sticks in the comments below.
Parmesan Zucchini Sticks
- 8 small-medium zucchini cut in half
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 tsp dried oregano thyme or basil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Trim the ends of zucchini and cut in halves. Arrange on a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix Parmesan cheese, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Top each zucchini slice with approximately 1.5 tsp of cheese herb mixture spreading evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then broil on High for 4 - 5 minutes or until cheese is crispy and golden.
Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 2 - 3 days. Do not freeze.
- If you have large garden zucchini, cut it into 2" thick rounds.
- Any combination of dried herbs works including Italian seasoning.
- Fresh Parmesan cheese tastes the best, not from a shaker.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.