Parmesan Zucchini Sticks are big on flavor and low in calories. Perfect during “got more than I need zucchini” season as they take 5 minutes prep. Serve as a side dish or an appetizer.
What I like about Parmesan zucchini sticks is how firm zucchini turns out. While zucchini naturally contains a lot of water, it was all retained inside the wedges. Once baked, zucchini sticks came out crispy on top, firm on the outside and juicy inside. I think only mushy pasta is worse than overcooked veggies.
It’s almost zucchini season here on Vancouver island. But for now it’s in Mexico… You are probably sick and tired of cardboard tomatoes and imported green beans?! Me too. But it is what it is. Gotta eat our veggies and I love zucchini for its low calorie content and short cooking time.
Why Zucchini Is Good for You
Zucchini is an easy to grow and affordable vegetable during July-August. It is low in calorie, fat and high in fiber. Which means you can eat a lot of zucchini with little calories and keep your belly full longer. That is why zucchini with Parmesan cheese is a match made in heaven. Lots of flavor and little calories.
Courgette aka zucchini aka summer squash is also high in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory phytonutrients, vitamins C, B, K and potassium.
Fun fact: Did you know it’s classified as a fruit? I didn’t.
Choosing Right Ingredients
I just have to share. Baked Parmesan zucchini contains 5 simple ingredients: zucchini, Parmesan cheese, dried thyme or oregano, salt and pepper. I would like to elaborate on 2 ingredients.
Zucchini: I try to buy organic or local unsprayed zucchini. That’s why I do not bake these Parmesan zucchini boats in winter. Summer squash has thin skin which means pesticides penetrate it easily and can never be washed off.
Parmesan cheese: Nothing beats freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Pre-grated cheese in a shaker just doesn’t taste the same and contains cellulose which is a filler made from wood. Fresh Parmesan is expensive but it is flavourful and a little goes a long way. Buy a chunk at Costco, cut a piece to use for now and freeze the rest.
Baked Parmesan Zucchini Tips
- Small to medium zucchini are quick and easy to slice and get to the oven.
- If you got large zucchini, cut them in diagonal 1 inch thick rounds.
- When spreading grated cheese, go slow so precious bits do not fall on the baking sheet and stay there.
How to Store
Zucchini sticks stay fresh and firm in the fridge for up to 3 days. That is if crazy thing “leftovers” even possible with this yummy recipe.
Another rule in life is to never freeze zucchini. They will thaw stringy and yucky.
Enjoy, friends, and let me know how you liked Parmesan zucchini sticks in the comments below.
Love Zucchini for Its Low Calories like Me?
- Mediterranean zucchini sticks with feta cheese, sun dried tomatoes and herbs.
- Zucchini bake with garlic and tomatoes – quick casserole with 5 star reviews.
- Zucchini lasagna – when you have time make this and you will be blown away!
- Sauteed zucchini – 3 minute side dish.
- And last but not least more 30 healthy zucchini and squash recipes.
Parmesan Zucchini Sticks
Parmesan Zucchini Sticks are 20 minute healthy baked zucchini recipe that is veggie and flavour packed. Serve as appetizer or side dish.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 16 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: North American
- 8 medium zucchini, cut in half
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tbsp dried thyme or oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Arrange zucchini halves on 2 rimmed baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix Parmesan cheese, oregano (thyme), salt and black pepper.
- Top each zucchini slice with 1 – 1.5 tbsp of cheese herb mixture spreading evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then broil on High for 4 – 5 minutes or until cheese is crispy and golden. Serve warm or cold.
Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 2 – 3 days.
Original recipe from Nutrition Ella
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.