Here are 45 healthy zucchini recipes that are easy to follow, use simple wholesome ingredients, and are packed with flavour! Enjoy your zucchini all year round whether it’s the main dish, a side dish, or even a baked dessert! There is something for everyone. As always, tips, variations, ways to serve it, and storage suggestions included.
Table of contents
- Healthy Zucchini Recipes
- Why We Love Zucchini Recipes
- Cooking with Zucchini Tips
- Storing and Reheating Leftover Zucchini Recipes
- More Healthy Zucchini FAQs
- Zucchini Chicken Recipes
- Zucchini Dinner Recipes
- Ground Turkey Zucchini Skillet with Pesto
- Zucchini Lasagna
- Tex Mex Rice and Beans with Zucchini
- Tuna Zucchini Fritters
- Pasta with Zucchini and Tomatoes
- Shrimp with Zucchini
- Pad Thai Zucchini Noodles
- Crustless Zucchini Quiche
- Healthy Turkey Burgers
- Healthy Black Bean Burgers
- Turkey Meatballs
- Korean Ground Beef and Rice Bowls
- Minestrone Soup
- Vegetable Soup
- Shrimp and Vegetable Stir Fry
- Zucchini Side Dishes
- Zucchini Baking Recipes
- More Healthy Recipes
Healthy Zucchini Recipes
Zucchini is a beautiful summer squash that we just can’t get enough of! It’s a juicy, buttery, tender-crisp veggie that is just as delicious grilled or steamed as it is roasted or baked. If you’ve got a garden full of zucchini (or courgette as they are sometimes called!) that you’re wondering what to do with, or you just happen to love zucchini, you’re sure to find your new favourite recipe in this list. There are side dishes, main dishes, and even desserts!
Despite it being a summer squash, zucchini can be found at your local grocery store all year round, so keep these easy healthy zucchini recipes handy when you’re looking for holiday side dishes and cozy baked goods. You’ll find that each recipe is easy to follow, gives tips and tricks to make it even easier, uses simple, fresh, and healthy ingredients, and allows for customizing the way you like it.
So, keep reading. There are a TON of healthy and easy zucchini recipes at your fingertips! I’ve collected 45 healthy zucchini recipes from my blog that are reader favorites.
Why We Love Zucchini Recipes
- Plenty of ideas on what to do with more than enough zucchini.
- Healthy and delicious are always two things I keep at the forefront of my recipes.
- Versatile recipes for a versatile vegetable, whether it be a main dish, a side dish or a healthy zucchini dessert. It could be vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, or all of the above. It could be a baked zucchini recipes healthy, grilled or a spiralized zoodle!
- Kid-friendly recipes are in abundance in this collection of recipes. Find ones your whole family will love and add them to your rotation. Adding more veggies to your kids’ meals and desserts is now even easier.
- Quick and easy is the name of the busy household game. Anything that works for a busy family I have included in here. Perfect for easy weeknight zucchini dinners.
Cooking with Zucchini Tips
- Types of zucchini: You can use green or yellow, long or round, squash or zucchini in recipes interchangeably.
- Don’t overcook: Zucchini consists of over 90% water by weight. Follow the recipe and stop cooking squash when it’s still firm and might appear undercooked.
- Large garden zucchini: If the recipe is calling for a small-medium zucchini, cut a large zucchini in half. Slice it into 2-inch rounds on the angle.
- Freezing: Zucchini doesn’t freeze well because of the high water content. The only way I would recommend is to freeze cubed or grated zucchini and then use it in soups and baking later on.
- Cooking methods: When baking or grilling sliced rounds, you want to make sure they are thick enough to not become soggy, and uniform sizes, to cook evenly.
- Zucchini skin: No need to peel it, even when you’re baking with it. Zucchini skin is edible and easily digestible and comes with a lot of nutrients. Just make sure you wash it first!
I hope you enjoy these healthy zucchini recipes as much as I do! Let me know which ones you try by rating them in the comment section below.
Storing and Reheating Leftover Zucchini Recipes
The beauty of these recipes is they come with all of the information you could possibly need! Depending on the recipe, you will be given specific storage suggestions based on whatever it is. Some will let you know to only store in the fridge for a couple of days, while others will let you know it can be made ahead for meal prep or freezes very well. You will find them at the bottom of the recipes and when in doubt feel free to leave me a question in the comment section and I will get back to you with an answer.
More Healthy Zucchini FAQs
It is very healthy. Zucchini is a superfood full of antioxidants as well as vitamins A (improves eye health) and C (boosts immune system and guards against asthma), fibre (lowers cholesterol), and potassium (lowers blood pressure). It’s also a tasty and versatile veggie which makes it easier to add to your daily diet.
Zucchini itself is healthy, so you want to keep it as close to its natural state as possible for optimum nutrients. Bringing out its natural flavours without overpowering it with unhealthy ingredients is the best way to enjoy it. You can steam, bake, roast, or grill zucchini, and depending on how high the heat is, or how long it’s cooked, will determine how much of its nutrients are lost. In the end, no matter what, all of my recipes are created with health in mind. These recipes celebrate zucchini and all of its nutrients and flavours!
Absolutely! In fact, you will find all kinds of nutrients within the skin of the zucchini. It’s also soft, and very thin, so definitely keep it on. Zucchini contains a lot of water, so in some cases, the skin serves a purpose of keeping everything intact and not falling apart while it cooks.
Zucchini Chicken Recipes
Mexican Chicken and Zucchini cooked in one skillet with black beans, corn, fresh herbs, taco seasoning and melted cheese on top. One pan, low carb and 30 minutes dinner.
Caprese Chicken and Zucchini cooked in fresh tomato sauce, with melted buffalo mozzarella cheese on top and garnished with basil. Serve on its own for easy low carb dinner or with spaghetti for a family meal. Buon appetito!
Low-carb Chicken Zucchini Casserole with layers of chicken, zucchini noodles and easy enchilada sauce. Lots of fiber, vegetables and protein.
This garlic Chicken Zucchini and Corn recipe is a 20 minute healthy weeknight dinner that was inspired by my Ukrainian roots. Low carb, easy and one pan deliciousness!
Zucchini Noodles with Chicken, Cilantro and Lime is delicious 20 minute, healthy and gluten free dinner idea. If you don’t have a spiralizer, just chop zucchini.
Greek Chicken Kabobs recipe flavoured in as little as 30 minutes marinade, then grilled on skewers with vegetables for the most delicious and healthy chicken souvlaki.
Quinoa Skillet recipe with chicken breast and vegetables like zucchini, tomato and corn. Healthy chicken and quinoa dinner in less than 40 minutes with leftovers the whole family will love.
Loaded with chicken, a savory sauce, diced zucchini and bell pepper and then topped with crunchy cashews and green onions, these lettuce wraps are perfect for a low carb lunch or light dinner!
Zucchini Dinner Recipes
This 30 minute healthy Ground Turkey Zucchini Skillet with Pesto is delicious low carb one pot dinner recipe that will become your family’s favourite! Minimum ingredients and effort with maximum flavour.
Tex Mex Rice and Beans is a 30 minute one pot easy and healthy Mexican rice with zucchini, brown rice, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes and spices
Tuna Zucchini Fritters for a 30 minute kid friendly healthy recipe with canned tuna, Parmesan cheese and a hefty dose of vegetables.
Pasta with zucchini, tomatoes, garlic and basil is 20 minute healthy dinner that is a summertime must have. Light and fresh, everyone will love this garden dinner!
Pad Thai Zucchini Noodles recipe with zucchini pasta, healthy peanut sauce, shrimp or tofu and half amount of calories in under 20 minutes.
Melt in your mouth Zucchini Quiche without the crust. Tastes so good cold! Simple ingredients make it an easy quiche recipe to whip up any time life gives you zucchini.
Juicy and flavorful Turkey Burger recipe with 5 simple ingredients. And one secret ingredient (hint: it’s also called courgette!) holds turkey burgers together without the breadcrumbs.
Bake, fry or grill these flavorful vegetarian Healthy Black Bean Burgers that are packed with plant protein, zucchini and rice! Veggie burgers hold up well and get a bit of chipotle heat from chili pepper in adobe sauce. Serve with Russian potato salad in the summer!
Turkey Meatballs stay moist and juicy from added zucchini! Low carb with no breadcrumbs these baked meatballs are perfect for pasta night, as an appetizer, in a salad or make a sub.
Served over fiber rich brown rice, your family will gobble up these Beef, Rice and Vegetable Bowls! Featuring lean ground beef, pepper, zucchini, eggplant and an Asian inspired sauce, these sweet and spicy bowls hit the spot.
Hearty and filling Minestrone Soup is full of garden bounty including zucchini, green beans, carrots and kale! Simmered in a tomato broth this herb filled, aromatic soup will be a dinnertime winner.
A tasty way to get your veggies in! Loaded Vegetable Soup has zucchini, pepper , onion, corn, potatoes, carrots and celery that are simmered in a smoky tomato sauce that is mmmm, mmmm good!
A seafood and veggie stir fry not to be missed! Easy Shrimp and Vegetable Stir Fry uses firm vegetables such as zucchini, broccoli and peppers coated in a thick and flavorful sauce.
Zucchini Side Dishes
Parmesan Zucchini Sticks are a baked zucchini recipes healthy that are big on flavor, yet low calorie and outrageously tasty. Slices of zucchini baked until crispy and cheese melted on top with simple spices.
Zucchini Fritters with crispy outside, soft inside and only 5 ingredients. They are perfect for summer zucchini surplus and will disappear at the table.
Cheesy Cauliflower Rice and Zucchini
Cheesy Cauliflower Rice recipe with riced cauliflower, garlic and shredded zucchini for an extra vegetable boost. Easy, low carb and compliment just about any main dish.
Cheesy Zucchini Casserole uses 3 lbs of zucchini and is so easy, quick and low carb. So much flavor from garlic, herbs and Parmesan cheese. So much yum in this baked zucchini recipe that is a healthy summertime favorite.
Healthy Zucchini Tomato Casserole with garlic and Parmesan in 5 minutes of prep. Serve as low carb side dish or add cooked chicken for a 30 minute dinner.
I could talk about this Sauteed Zucchini for days! Talking points would include how they take 5 minutes, how simple are the ingredients, how tasty it is and best of all how healthy they are. But don’t trust my words. Try for yourself!
Grilled Zucchini with garlic, oil, salt and pepper is our Ukrainian-Russian family recipe. We grill zucchini along with any meat all summer long.
This healthy Zucchini Potato Bake is inspired by my Ukrainian upbringing. It is chock full of vegetables, contains no whipping cream and just the right amount of cheese and lots of flavour!
Mediterranean Baked Zucchini Sticks recipe are crunchy oven roasted zucchini with feta cheese, fresh parsley and no breading.
A summertime grilling favorite! The best balsamic Marinade for Grilled Vegetables includes grilled zucchini, bell pepper and red onion and then tosses them with a tangy balsamic vinaigrette and fresh parsley for a side dish that will disappear in a flash.
A fun and tasty dinner that whole family will enjoy! Zucchini Boats are filled with ground turkey seasoned with dried herbs and then topped with cheese.
Zucchini Baking Recipes
Healthy Zucchini Bread with applesauce, whole wheat flour and low sugar and low fat. Super delicious, easy and moist recipe.
Banana Zucchini Muffins made healthy with whole wheat flour, maple syrup and chocolate bar chunks. Moist and tasty with very little oil.
Almond Flour Zucchini Muffins are moist, light and a delicious way to use your fresh summer zucchini! Naturally sweetened and naturally gluten free, these muffins are perfect for breakfast or snack.
Healthy Lemon Zucchini Bread that is super moist, lemon-y, sweet and so soft. It will blow your mind! Great for dessert and healthy enough for breakfast or snack. You may also love this healthy lemon poppy seed bread.
Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread with simple wholesome ingredients in one bowl. Easy, moist and double chocolate quick bread with sneaky veggies.
Lemon Zucchini Muffins made healthy with whole wheat flour, plain yogurt, zucchini and no refined sugar. A melt in your mouth muffin that stays moist due to zucchini.
Zucchini Banana Bread is easy quick bread perfect for summer baking. Moistened and sweetened with fruit and veggies, it is a hybrid of two favorite breads with virtually no oil.
A cake like bread that is gluten free and perfectly moist! This Almond Flour Zucchini Bread will be a hit with your family who will ask for it on repeat.
Healthy Zucchini Muffins with applesauce. Use whole wheat or spelt or even gluten free all purpose. Moist and fluffy and a hit not only during the summer but year round.
Zucchini Brownies are easy, fudgy and healthy. Kids will eat them up and not even realize they are eating a vegetable. Taste even better next day.
Healthy pumpkin cake with both pumpkin and zucchini! Cinnamon spiced for all the fall feels plus topped with a greek yogurt icing makes this cake suitable for dessert…or a decadent breakfast.
More Healthy Recipes
- 65 Healthy Dinner Ideas
- 45 Healthy Instant Pot Recipes
- 45 Healthy Breakfast Ideas
- 52 Healthy Salad Recipes
- 40 Healthy Chicken Recipes
- 52 Healthy Soup Recipes
- 30 Quinoa Recipes
- 32 Healthy Grill Recipes
- 10 Healthy Homemade Salad Dressings
- 21 Healthy Muffin Recipes
- 45 Best Ground Turkey Recipes
45 Healthy Zucchini Recipes: Tex Mex Chicken and Zucchini
- 1 lb boneless & skinless chicken breasts cut into 1″ chunks
- 2 large zucchini diced
- 3 bell peppers medium, chopped
- 1 onion medium, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves large, minced
- 1 cup corn fresh or frozen
- 14 oz can low sodium black beans drained & rinsed
- 14 oz low sodium diced tomatoes not drained
- 1 tbsp oil avocado or coconut
- 1 tbsp cumin divided
- 1 tsp taco seasoning store bought or homemade taco seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup Tex Mex or Colby Jack cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- Preheat large ceramic non-stick skillet on medium heat and swirl oil to heat. Add onion, garlic and bell pepper and saute for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Push vegetables to one side of the skillet. Add chicken and sprinkle with 1 tsp cumin, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add corn, black beans, tomatoes, zucchini, taco seasoning and remaining cumin. Stir well, cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes on low-medium heat.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Do not freeze.
To Reheat: Simmer on low heat in covered skillet for 5 minutes. No additional water or oil is needed to reheat if you use a non-stick skillet.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes without permission. Nutritional info is approximate.