Grilled Zucchini with garlic, oil, salt and pepper is our Ukrainian-Russian family recipe. We grill zucchini along with any meat all summer long.
Grilled Zucchini Recipe
Grilled zucchini is our family’s signature dish. If you visit us in summer, we will serve you a complete grilled dinner – grilled chicken, grilled zucchini and grilled pita.
Usually we do garlic, oil, salt and pepper. I am sure you completely understand why. If not, hint – I am Ukrainian. Almost everything gets “a sprinkle” of garlic. And it works! 🙂
This grilled zucchini recipe is perfect for zucchini season – when everyone wants to gift you a zucchini and you feel like running away. Don’t. 🙂 To grill zucchini is a quick and easy way to use it up and it lasts for up to 3 days.
Tips for Best Grilled Zucchini
- Uniform slices – Make sure all zucchini slices are approximately same size. This is usually the case with farmer’s market or garden zucchini.
- Large garden zucchini – Cut them into 2 inch rounds and a bit on an angle to make cooking surface larger.
- No outdoor grill – Cast iron grill pan or George Foreman grill (because double sided, so will cook faster) works.
- Squash – Particularly in summer you might have a lot of yellow squash that is same as zucchini. Just follow the recipe.
How to Grill Zucchini
- Choose the right dish to coat zucchini in marinade. Zucchini is firm, so it can withstand shaking in a dish with a lid.
- Season zucchini with oil, garlic, salt, pepper, close the lid and shake container until coated. Alternatively, you can brush it on each slice.
- Grill zucchini covered for 4-5 minutes. Flip, cover and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- How do I know zucchini is done? Zucchini should be tender to the touch with nice grill marks when it is done. For firm zucchini, remove before it is too soft as zucchini will continue cooking with residual heat.
Grilled Protein to Pair with Grilled Zucchini
As mentioned in the description, this grilled zucchini recipe is so versatile, it goes with anything grilled.
And it is so convenient to throw zucchini on already hot grill while meat is resting.
How to Make Ahead and Store Grilled Zucchini
Make ahead: Cover zucchini in dressing, shake in a dish with a lid to coat and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Then grill as per recipe.
Store: Grilled zucchini lasts very well in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Perfect for meal prep and definitely helps with eating low carb and more veggies.
Do not freeze.
More Grilled Recipes
- Grilled vegetables
- Grilled romaine lettuce
- Grilled zucchini pizza
- Also browse 35 more zucchini recipes.
- 3 lbs small-medium zucchini cut in halves lengthwise
- 3 garlic cloves grated
- 2 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Add zucchini to a large bowl with a lid or a large baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over zucchini. Mix by either shaking the container with the lid on it or by using your hands. You can also brush the dressing onto the zucchini.
- Preheat grill on medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Place zucchini in a single layer on the grill, close the lid and cook for 4-5 minutes. Flip the zucchini once, cover and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Zucchini should be tender to the touch with nice grill marks when it is done. How long depends on the grill and you know your grill best.
- Store: Refrigerate in a glass airtight container for up to 3 days. Do not freeze.
- To make ahead: Cut up zucchini and cover with dressing for up to 24 hours prior to grilling.
- If your zucchini is extra large like garden one, cut into 4 long quarter sticks.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.