I have been waiting almost a whole year to post this chickpea avocado salad because it tastes best with vegetables straight from your garden or farmer’s market in my case.:)
A typical Ukrainian (Russian) salad consists of most common summer produce in Ukraine – tomatoes, cucumbers and onions. Salt and black pepper are a must! We didn’t grow red onions but white and green ones. As a kid, I hated onions and my kids are the same. They pick onions out from their plates as me and Alex are not willing to compromise on the flavour.
For herbs I used cilantro because I added chickpeas and avocado but feel free to use dill or parsley. Some families added garlic as well (hello, Ukrainian salad). Instead of lemon we used white vinegar, you could also use limes. I sometimes also add a few drops of sesame oil because it resembles the taste of unrefined sunflower oil this salad was originally made with in the former USSR.
This chickpea avocado salad is extremely versatile and will taste delicious in any variation, trust me. Natural juices from tomato and cucumber get released as soon as you add salt, so you don’t need much oil. Especially if you add avocado. I was craving Mediterranean/Ukrainian kind of salad, more of a meal type, with a lot of healthy fats (I specifically bought 2 bags of avocados because I’m tired of chasing them in a proper ripeness), an onion bite and a lot of garden veggies. You could also add any leafy greens like kale, Romaine lettuce, spinach etc. My aunt always added radishes too. Enjoy!
- 2 x 14 oz cans chickpeas, drained & rinsed (I make my own)
- 5 bigger garden cucumbers or 1 long English cucumber, diced
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 3 medium ripe avocados, diced
- 1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro (dill or parsley), finely chopped
- 1 medium lemon, juice of
- 3 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, ground
- In a large bowl, add all ingredients and gently stir to combine. Serve cold. You can also make this salad ahead for up to a day if you add lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper immediately before serving.