Cucumber and Tomato Salad is classic Ukrainian salad that is tasty, easy, dirt cheap and you will never tire of it. It’s that good!
Cucumber Tomato Salad
This classic Ukrainian cucumber and tomato salad makes healthy and affordable side dish any time of the year. With so many ways to customize it, you will never tire of it!
This is why this cucumber tomato salad is so cool – use garden’s bounty or winter store’s availability. I will die with this being my favorite salad ever and banana, a favourite fruit.
I can’t believe I never posted this recipe on the blog because we make it year round! Hello, we are Eastern Europeans.
If you ask any kid who grew up in former USSR, they would tell you they ate this tasty salad at least 10 times during summer. Every household prepares it differently but the base is the same throughout many countries.
Ingredients You Will Need
- Cucumber – Any kind of cucumber like pickle, dill, garden, long English or Persian work. You don’t have to peel or seed them. However, I would peel garden cucumber with thick and often bitter skin.
- Tomato – Any kind of full-grown, grape or cherry tomato work. Juicy on the vine, heirloom or roma tomatoes are the best. But don’t shy away from field “plasticky” tomatoes from Mexico in winter – just choose the softest and reddest.
- Onion – Red onion is best to eat raw, however ain’t anyone had access to it in Ukraine. White onion works like a charm as your last resource. Or skip it all together.
- Dill – It’s a classic herb for cucumber, tomato and onion salad.
Cucumber Tomato Salad Dressing
It is a combination of extra virgin olive oil, toasted sesame oil, salt and pepper. That’s it! And no need to make it in a separate bowl, trust this mama. My grandma never did.
The secret ingredient is toasted sesame oil that takes this cucumber tomato dill salad recipe to the next level.
You can buy it dirt cheap at any grocery store (look in Asian aisle just in case) and you will use it often in Asian dishes like cauliflower fried rice, beef stir fry and healthy peanut chicken soba noodles.
Or keep it for the sake of this easy salad – totally worth it!
- Skip toasted sesame oil – It’s totally fine. Use good quality extra virgin olive oil, not just “olive oil”.
- Add vinegar – Just a splash of white, white/red wine vinegar or even balsamic if you like that zippy tangy taste.
- Make it creamy – Just add plain regular or Greek yogurt and omit oils. We used sour cream in Ukraine all the time.
- Change herbs – Use parsley or green onion (skip on red onion).
- Add lettuce – It will basically become my lettuce salad. It’s more leafy and needs a bit more salt.
How to Make Cucumber, Tomato and Onion Salad
- Chop cucumbers and tomatoes in even bite size pieces. This step will ensure even distribution of ingredients in every bite.
- Add everything to a large enough bowl to mix without spilling. Cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, herbs, oil, salt and pepper all go into one bowl. No need to make salad dressing separately.
- Stir gently with a large spoon. A chopped salad like this cucumber tomato salad you want to stir with a large spoon not tongs. Do so gently from the bottom in the center of the bowl tossing ingredients over and coating in delicious seasonings. You want to be gentle with tomatoes.
How to Serve and Store This Salad
Cucumber and tomato salad is best served immediately. That’s when salad is the most crunchy.
To store. However, you can refrigerate salad overnight although cucumbers will be not as crunchy and tomatoes will loose some of their juices. Still edible but just so you know.
As a kid, I always dipped juices at the bottom with a slice of rye bread. Oh my goodness, the best!!!
To serve. When I pick a salad to pair with the rest of the meal I often look at what I am serving. If it is more dry meat like chicken breast or salmon, I would pick juicy salad like this one. Frankly, anything goes with this salad. Lamb, turkey burgers or chicken kebabs.
To make ahead. You can make this cucumber tomato salad recipe ahead by adding all ingredients except salt into a salad bowl, covering and refrigerating for up to 24 hours. When ready to serve add salt, stir and enjoy. It is because salt makes veggies “leak” their juices right away.
Enjoy this cucumber and tomato salad! 🙂
More Cucumber and Tomato Salad Recipes
- Chickpea avocado salad
- Lettuce salad
- Healthy spinach salad
- Mediterranean quinoa salad
- Shrimp avocado salad
- Creamy cucumber salad
Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- 2 medium large English or 1 lb pickle cucumbers chopped
- 4 medium or 1 lb grape/cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion thinly sliced or diced
- 1/4 cup dill finely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Vinegar to taste (optional)
- In a large bowl, add cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, dill, olive oil, toasted sesame oil, salt, pepper and vinegar.
- Stir gently from the bottom in the center of the bowl tossing ingredients over and coating in delicious seasonings.
- Cucumber and tomato salad is best served immediately.
Store: Refrigerate cucumber and tomato salad for up to 24 hours (Pyrex bowls with lids love forever).
Make Ahead: Refrigerate all vegetables in a bowl covered. Then add oils, salt and pepper right before serving (as soon as you add salt - salad "leaks").
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.