Make this Easy Avocado Salad instead of guacamole one day. It will blow your mind how simple, delicious and healthy this 3 ingredient salad is.
Avocado Salad Recipe
When life gives you avocados, you make an avocado salad. Not with tomatoes, cucumbers and chickpeas but a healthy avocado salad with just avocados. Have you ever thought of that? To turn plain avocados not into a guacamole but rather into a simple avocado salad with lemon juice, green onions, salt and pepper?! Really, 3 ingredients. Salt and pepper never count.
History says this avocado salad recipe was invented by farmers who planted avocados on the coast in 1920s. Back then people ate simply.
Did you notice no cilantro but rather green onions?! I was surprised as well and decided to test the recipe with cilantro. Nope, it makes it a guacamole and trust me green onion adds way better texture and flavour. Our ancestors knew better.
How to Choose, Store and Ripen Avocados
- Look for fruit that is firm yet gives when gently squeezed.
- If avocado is hard, it’s not ready to eat yet.
- Ripening avocados on a counter, takes about 2-4 days depending on the temperature.
- To speed up ripening process, place them in brown bag with a banana.
- You can refrigerate unripened avocados until you are ready to ripen them. I always stock up.
How to Make Avocado Salad
- Cut each avocado in half and remove the pit – Abruptly stick the sharp end of a knife into the pit and twist it. Then cut each half into 2-3 strips (depends how wide), peel and slice. This way avocado slices do not turn into a mush.
- Combine all ingredients in a large salad bowl – avocados, green onion, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir gently with a wooden spoon. That’s it!
What to Serve With Avocado Salad?
Avocado salad is best consumed within 5-6 hours. To make ahead for up to 4 hours, toss avocado in lime juice and add remaining ingredients right before serving.
Here are a few ideas for serving:
- Salad is great on its own, on a toasted pita or in a wrap.
- Make it as a topping for chicken tostadas.
- Add healthy fats to lean baked chicken breast.
- With brown rice or quinoa for a filling vegetarian dinner.
More Healthy Avocado Salad Recipes
- Corn avocado salad – so tasty, simple and refreshing for summer.
- Chickpea avocado salad – high protein salad with cucumber and tomato.
- Shrimp avocado salad – juicy, loaded and creamy with healthy yogurt dressing.
- Smoked salmon salad – healthy sushi in a bowl with tons of greens.
- Browse 30 healthy salad recipes.
- 2.5 lbs avocados about 7 medium
- 1/2 cup green onion
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- To cut avocados, cut each fruit in half and remove the pit (I abruptly stick sharp end of the knife into the pit and twist it).
- Then cut each half into 2-3 strips (depends how wide), peel and slice. This way avocado slices do not turn into a mush.
- In a large salad bowl, add avocados, green onion, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Stir gently with a wooden spoon and consume within next 5-6 hours. Great on its own, on a toasted pita or in a wrap.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.