Avocado Salad Recipe
When life gives you avocados, you make an avocado salad. Not with tomatoes, cucumbers and chickpeas but a healthy avocado salad with just avocados. Have you ever thought of that? To turn plain avocados not into a guacamole but rather into a simple avocado salad with lemon juice, green onions, salt and pepper?! Really, 3 ingredients. Salt and pepper never count.
History says this avocado salad recipe was invented by farmers who planted avocados on the coast in 1920s. Back then people ate simply.
Did you notice no cilantro but rather green onions?! I was surprised as well and decided to test the recipe with cilantro. Nope, it makes it a guacamole and trust me green onion adds way better texture and flavour. Our ancestors knew better.
Tips for Best Avocados:
I grabbed 2 bags with 5 medium avocados each.
- Look for fruit that is firm yet gives when gently squeezed. If avocado is hard, it’s not ready to eat yet.
- Ripen avocados on a counter, takes about 2-4 days depending on the temperature. To speed up ripening process, place them in brown bag with a banana.
- You can refrigerate unripened avocados until you are ready to ripen them. I always stock up.
How to Make Avocado Salad
- To cut avocados: Cut each fruit in half and remove the pit (I abruptly stick sharp end of the knife into the pit and twist it). Then cut each half into 2-3 strips (depends how wide), peel and slice. This way avocado slices do not turn into a mush.
- In a large salad bowl, add avocados, green onion, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir gently with a wooden spoon. That’s it!
What to Serve With Avocado Salad?
Once dressed, it’s best to consume avocado salad within next 5-6 hours.
- It is great on its own, on a toasted pita or in a wrap.
- Make it as a topping for chicken tostadas.
- Healthy fat addition to lean baked boneless chicken breast.
- With brown rice or quinoa for a filling vegetarian dinner.
More Healthy Avocado Salad Recipes to Try:
- Corn avocado salad – so tasty, simple and refreshing for summer.
- Chickpea avocado salad – high protein salad with cucumber and tomato.
- Shrimp avocado salad – juicy, loaded and creamy with healthy yogurt dressing.
- Avocado tuna salad with spinach and mango – not your boring tuna salad.
Instead of guacamole make this 3 ingredient Avocado Salad Recipe. It will blow your mind, so easy and delicious!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2.5 lbs avocados (about 7 medium)
- 1/2 cup green onion
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- To cut avocados, cut each fruit in half and remove the pit (I abruptly stick sharp end of the knife into the pit and twist it). Then cut each half into 2-3 strips (depends how wide), peel and slice. This way avocado slices do not turn into a mush.
- In a large salad bowl, add avocados, green onion, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Stir gently with a wooden spoon and consume within next 5-6 hours. Great on its own, on a toasted pita or in a wrap.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.