Tender and juicy Grilled Chicken Breast with easy 30 minute marinade and simple ingredients. This healthy clean chicken recipe is a summer BBQ staple!
Instant Pot chicken breast or oven baked chicken breast are always on our winter dinner table. Come summer, this grilled chicken recipe becomes a favorite in our healthy grill recipes rotation!
Table of contents
The best grilled chicken breast that is moist and flavorful without spending hours marinating your chicken first! If I don’t have time to marinate anything in a Ziploc bag overnight, it means neither do you.
You will be amazed how tender this perfectly grilled chicken turns out regardless of the length of marinating time.
During cooler months I get into a habit of making a batch of air fryer chicken breast. In summer, throwing the most expensive cut of chicken on a grill is the answer to the never ending question “What’s for dinner?”!
Serve alongside whole wheat pasta with Instant Pot corn on the cob or use the leftovers in healthy chicken salad or healthy chicken tacos.
How to Make the Marinade for Grilled Chicken Breast
I’m Ukrainian and believe simple ingredients make food shine. With this easy recipe, you don’t have to marinate chicken long and you are well on your way to a fast grilled chicken dinner. That’s it!
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Oil: I like extra virgin olive oil as it enhances the flavor when used in a marinade.
- Lemon: You will need a fresh lemon as you will be using both the zest and juice. The acidic juice helps tenderize the meat.
- Garlic: Freshly grated will bring out the best flavor!
- Seasonings: Oregano, salt and pepper for additional taste.
How to Grill Chicken Breast
This easy recipe features thinly sliced grilled chicken breasts that can be served in multiple ways for dinnertime. We love serving it with Russian potato salad for a summertime feast!
Cut boneless chicken breasts into halves lengthwise to make them thinner. No need to pound your chicken breast!
Place thinly sliced chicken breast in a large bowl along with olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and zest, oregano, salt and pepper. Then stir with tongs.
How long to marinate chicken breast? As little as 30 minutes to as long as 24 hours. This allows enough time for the marinade to flavor and tenderize your meat.
Over 24 hours and you risk your meat being mushy as the fibers continue to break down.
Preheat grill on medium-high (450-500 degrees F) and rub with oiled paper towel. Place chicken on the grill, close the lid and grill chicken breasts for 8-10 minutes turning once. Do not overcook.
Chicken is done when meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F. Or I usually cut in with a knife and if juices are no longer pink.
Cook meat covered so it cooks through with nice grill marks.
Remove from the grill, cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. This allows juices to settle inside the meat and not outside on our plate. Making juicy chicken!
How Long to Grill Chicken Breast?
For best results, preheat your grill for 10-15 minutes so that it reaches an optimal heat of 450-500 degrees F. At this temperature, it should only take 8-10 minutes to grill your meat.
Be sure to grill chicken covered and flip your meat, halfway through cooking so that it cooks evenly. When chicken reaches internal temperature of 165 degrees F, it is done.
Immediately after you take it off the grill, cover and let it rest, this allows juices to sink back into the chicken.
When using the methods outline in this post, your chicken will not turn out dry.
How to Use Grilled Chicken?
- Low carb meal: Serve with a big side of air fryer broccoli. Have you ever tried grilled romaine?! Grill lettuce at same time for a complete protein and veggies meal.
- Grain and vegetable: We often pair it with quinoa and a side of grilled zucchini.
- On a salad: Make absolutely stunning colorful grilled chicken salad as pictured above!
Your grill may have been too hot, or you have overcooked your chicken. To save it, jazz it up with some mango salsa or pineapple jalapeno salsa.
Yes, you can use boneless chicken thighs if you love dark and more fatty meat. You may love this list of 65 clean eating chicken recipes!
Traditional picnic sides are always summertime favorites like healthy potato salad, healthy broccoli salad, or Instant Pot baked beans.
We also love to serve it with grilled pita and chickpea salad with avocado, as pictured below.
Refrigerate grilled chicken in an airtight container. Chicken breast dries out fast, so tight container is key.
It is perfect for meal prep paired with healthy Caesar salad and tastes amazing even cold. We snuck grandma’s ground chicken burgers cold from the fridge all the time.
For reheating, I recommend only microwave. Again, if you place breast in the oven to reheat, it will dry out. Or again, try cold cooked chicken and it might be your new favorite too.
Freezer Friendly Tips
I can’t imagine ever having cooked chicken leftovers because 3 boys in the house. But if you are lucky enough to get to that point, freeze in an airtight container or bag for up to 3 months.
You don’t even have to thaw it too long. Just place frozen cooked chicken in the lunchbox in the morning and by lunchtime warmed up in a microwave, it is good as fresh.
More Healthy Grilled Chicken Recipes
- Greek chicken marinade
- Chili lime chicken
- Cilantro lime chicken
- Lemon rosemary chicken
- Greek chicken kabobs
Or pick from any of these easy chicken marinades and never run out of ideas! Browse all my healthy grill recipes for more summertime dining.
Easy Juicy Grilled Chicken Breast
- 2-3 lbs boneless & skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large lemon zest and juice of
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves grated
- 2 tsp oregano dried
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Cut chicken breasts into halves lengthwise to make them thinner. Place in a large bowl along with lemon zest and juice, olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir with tongs and let sit for 30 minutes or marinate for up to 24 hours.
- Preheat grill on medium-high (450-500 degrees F) and rub with oiled paper towel. Place chicken on the grill, close the lid and grill for 8-10 minutes turning once. Do not overcook.
- Remove from the grill, cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve with a side of grain and salad, use in salads or perfect for a meal prep.
- Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
- For reheating: I recommend only microwave. Again, if you place breast in the oven to reheat, it will dry out. Or try it cold!
- Citrus: Lime will work instead of lemon.
- Other herbs: Dried rosemary or basil would be good too.
- Leftover marinade: Always discard chicken marinade.
Delicious! Our go to marinade for grilled chicken breast or thighs
So good, right? Glad you love it!
Can we bake this? 🥰if so.. what temp & how long ? Covered?
Hi Sherry, follow the recipe for oven baked chicken breast and it will turn out great!
Hi Olena, love your recipes, thanks for sharing. Just wondering what the veggie mix or salad is next to the chicken? Is there a recipe for that?
So glad you enjoy the recipes! That is my easy chickpea salad with avocado. Enjoy!
In oven what time & temp plz…
I would use the method for our oven baked chicken breast!
Made this last night and it turned out great! Chicken tender and juicy…great flavor. Thanks for the recipe!
That is so amazing to hear! Glad you enjoyed my recipe, Karen!
I made these for dinner last week to go with twice baked spinach stuffed potatoes. They were great and everyone liked them enough that I am making them again this week. I was not able to grill them but I made them in my skillet and they turned out pretty good regardless.
That’s great to hear Staci!
I’m on a high protein, no starch, grain, or dairy diet. It’s hard finding recipes. I cooked your chicken tonight along with your mashed cauliflower. Both were delicious. We couldn’t believe how much the cauliflower tasted like mashed potatoes. Thank you!
You are so welcome Elisa!
I’d never grilled chicken myself on the grill. This recipe is exactly what I was looking for! Delicious and simple! Your philosophy about getting it done in the easiest and fastest way is what I wanted. I will be returning for more recipes. Thinking about that instant pot beef stew. Thank you! 🙂
Yay! Right?! Why marinate with so many spices and steps for hours…that’s when I stop cooking. Simple and easy. Yes, let me know how you like that pretty please!
This grilled chicken breast came out amazing!