Recipe # 2 of the Tabasco 10 Ingredient (4 ingredient and no oven for me) Challenge. Yesterday I posted Grilled Spicy Cilantro Fish Kebabs, which in fact, would pair really well with these grilled cherry tomatoes. I will be honest, I’m not the greatest recipe seller. I wish all I could say is this recipe is amazeballs! Often I get readers doing a better job describing the recipe’s flavours and experience in the comments. I usually get a lightbulb on and go like “Yeah, why the heck didn’t I say that?!”. I should hire all of you guys as my recipe testers and tellers.
But for now, you have to make these amazeballs cherry tomatoes. On the grill. A must! If you got an Italian mother-in-law, she will be pleasantly shocked. I promise.
Cherry tomatoes were made for grilling. Sweeter than large tomatoes, they hold up their juices while grilling and release them while tossing with maple syrup and basil. A teaspoon of Tabasco® is all you need to bring out tomatoes’ flavour and add a peppery punch. A combination of sweet, savoury and spicy, to die for!
To fully benefit from all that maple syrup goodness, use the same bowl for tossing tomatoes before and after grilling. In other words, do not use 10 year old tupperware container because you will be serving in it. You could use grape tomatoes instead but not the large chopped tomatoes. That won’t work. Growing up in Ukraine, we didn’t have cherry tomatoes, neither an outdoor or indoor grills. Nowadays, in my luxurious American life, I buy cherry tomatoes if they are in season. They are perfect for school lunches, snacks, salads and grilling.
A few pairing suggestions:
- 4 cups or 1.5 lbs cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp original Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- In a medium bowl or serving dish (it's important to serve and marinate in the same dish in order to benefit fully from the marinade flavours), add tomatoes, maple syrup, salt, pepper and toss gently to coat.
- Preheat grill on low - medium, 500 - 550 degrees F, and spray the grilling vegetable basket with cooking spray. Add tomatoes to the basket, reserve the marinade at the bottom of the bowl and set aside. Cover with the lid and cook for 6 minutes, turning once.
- Transfer cooked tomatoes to a previously used bowl/serving dish and toss gently in the marinade. Top with fresh basil and serve hot or cold.
Grills vary. Cooking time will vary depending on the age and make/model of your grill. I have new Coleman BBQ which is quite powerful if I compare it to my old grill. Use your judgement and experience with your grill.
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving = 2/3 cup:
Total Fat: 0.0 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 387.6 mg
Total Carbs: 8.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.1 g
Protein: 0.0 g
WW Points+: 1
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Tabasco® Original Red Sauce. All opinions are my own and I recommend exclusively products that I love, tried myself and are good for your health.