Healthy Turkey Burgers with 5 simple ingredients. 3 easy steps and dinner is ready. They’re low fat and gluten free. And one secret ingredient holds it all together and makes for more healthy, juicy and flavourful burger.
Juicy Healthy Turkey Burger Recipe
I just gave the classic turkey burger an epic makeover.
What’s better about my healthy turkey burger recipe? Forget about all those unnecessary fillers like egg, breadcrumbs and exotic sauces. Only 5 simple ingredients are all you need for a sumptuously moist, smack-your-lips turkey burger! Now you can sink your teeth into the real taste of turkey.
5 Simple Ingredients
Ground turkey + grated zucchini + 1 garlic clove + cumin + salt and pepper = the best turkey burger recipe you’ll find anywhere.
I tried to make turkey burgers with oil instead of zucchini and it came out dry. So, zucchini is key. And just simple seasonings. I believe you don’t need Worcestershire sauce here.
How to Make Turkey Zucchini Burgers
You can make my homemade turkey burger recipe in minutes. It’s extra fast and easy!
Simply add ground turkey to a medium-size bowl and add grated zucchini. Yes! That’s my “secret ingredient”. It keeps the patties moist, flavourful, and zucchini is a superfood, loaded with nutritional benefits.
Add one chopped garlic clove, cumin, salt and pepper. That’s it! Mix well. Shape into patties.
Brown patties on both sides in a hot pan – about 8 to 10 mins. Dinner’s ready!
Can I Make Patties in Advance?
Yes, you can make burgers ahead of time and get dinner on the table even faster.
These patties keep well overnight in the fridge.
Make a big batch and freeze them for days when you’re extra rushed or when unexpected company comes calling. Arrange patties on a parchment-covered baking pan, freeze, then place in storage containers.
How Long to Cook Turkey Burgers on the Stove
They cook fast. Brown patties on both sides, with a little olive oil in a hot pan. About 8 to 10 mins total time. Dinner’s ready.
How Long to Grill Turkey Burgers
Love the look of those sizzling hot grill marks? Not only grilled burgers look more appetizing, but darker grill marks also give more flavour to the meat. No wonder grilling is so popular!
Tip: If grilling, freeze burgers for 10 minutes prior. Helps to hold their shape.
Make sure the temperature of your barbecue reaches 285 degrees F before placing your patties on the grill, so they won’t stick. Grill about 8 minutes for well done.
Healthy Sides and Toppings
Turkey with all the trimmings.
Let everyone build their own burger. Offer lots of tasty toppings to pile on the basic burgers.
- Fresh greens like Boston or bibb lettuce.
- Thickly sliced large size tomatoes.
- Fresh red onion rings.
- Dill pickle slices.
- Dijon or regular mustard.
- Your favorite cheese.
- Hot sauce and ketchup.
- Go Hawaiian with pineapple rings.
- Go Italian with tomato sauce, grilled peppers and Parmesan cheese.
- Go Mexican with guacamole and salsa.
- Go Greek with tzatziki and feta cheese.
It’s a party on your plate!
Side Dishes that Go Well with Burgers
Tips for Best Turkey Burgers
- To grate zucchini, use medium size grater holes. Not the large ones and not the ones that makes a complete mush. This way burgers are right amount juicy.
- Shape patties a bit wider than the bun since they shrink during cooking.
- If grilling, freeze burgers for 10 minutes prior.
- I do not recommend to use a panini press grill as it presses all the juices out of burgers. Indoor one sided grill or grill skillet is fine.
- Flip burgers only once during cooking.
- Prepare all the toppings and buns before cooking the burgers.
Are They More Healthy than Beef?
What makes a turkey burger healthy? Um, are you sure you are ready for this mind blowing info?
Beef vs. turkey.
- Calories: 500 vs. 87.
- Fat: 32 vs. 2 grams.
- Protein: 18 vs. 27 grams.
Turkey is packed with high protein to help build strong, healthy muscles. It gives you a boost with energizing iron and builds up your body with immune-strengthening zinc.
Turkey is bursting with vitamin B12 to keep your nervous system – your body’s electrical wiring – working well.
Obviously, poultry is more healthy choice when it comes to a burger. And that’s what we cook at home. However, I would be lying if I said me and Alex didn’t stop at Johnny Rockets for their burger while in LA last month.:)
Watch How to Make Turkey Burgers
Hope these healthy turkey burgers will become your new favorite and you enjoyed the video. Please let me know in comments what other recipes would you like to watch us make. And don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly cooking videos!
More Great Burger RecipesPrint
Healthy Turkey Burgers
This is the Best Juicy Turkey Burger Recipe with 5 simple ingredients. Grilled or fried, you will be blown away by it!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 burgers 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove or Grill
- Cuisine: North American
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded zucchini (about 1 medium)
- 1 large garlic clove, grated
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- In large mixing bowl, add ground turkey, zucchini, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. Using your hands, mix well.
- Form 6 large turkey burger patties about a size of a medium hand. Flatten them as burgers “jump up” while cooking. Use wet hands to help with stickiness issue. I usually form patties as I am waiting for skillet to get hot and as I go.
- Stovetop: Preheat medium ceramic non-stick skillet on low-medium heat. It’s important to cook turkey burgers low and slow so they get cooked through and do not fall apart (they won’t). Add about 1.5 tbsp of oil to the skillet and swirl around. Place 3 patties in the skillet and cook for 5 minutes per side, flipping once. Repeat with remaining oil and burgers.
- Grill: If grilling, freeze burgers for 10 minutes prior. Helps to hold their shape. Preheat grill on medium and spray with cooking spray. Spray turkey patties on both sides with cooking spray, place on a grill and cook for 6-8 minutes flipping once. Grills vary, so check your burger for doneness by inserting a food thermometer into the center of the patty. You are looking for 165 degrees = done.
- Serve hot and right away is the best. Burgers are the most juicy this way. Serve traditional way on a whole grain or thin multigrain bun with all the fixins. Or serve “naked” with mashed avocado and store-bought salsa. Or on a bed of greens. Sky is the limit.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze leftovers for up to 3 months.
Freeze: Lay patties on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, freeze completely and then transfer to a large Ziploc bag. Cook from frozen following recipe’s instructions + 5 minutes.
To grate zucchini, use medium size grater holes. Not the large ones and not the ones that makes a complete mush. This way burgers are right amount juicy.
I do not recommend to use a panini press grill as it presses all the juices out of burgers. Indoor one sided grill or grill skillet is fine.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.