This Cilantro Lime Chicken can be baked, fried, or as a part of your healthy grill recipes year round. The best part about our cilantro lime chicken recipe – marinate from 30 mins to 48 hours. So much flavor either way!
Table of contents
- Ingredients You Will Need
- What Is Cilantro Lime Chicken Marinade?
- How Long to Marinate?
- Can I Use Chicken Thighs?
- How to Make Baked Cilantro Lime Chicken
- How to Pan Fry Cilantro Chicken
- How to Make Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken
- What Goes Well with Cilantro Chicken Recipe?
- How to Store and Freeze
- More Easy Chicken Breast Recipes
This cilantro lime chicken is tangy, full of cilantro flavor, garlicky and a bit of a heat kick. And yet so simple to make! My friend used to make Rachael Ray’s cilantro lime chicken recipe and that’s how I got introduced to it. To clarify, this is my cilantro lime chicken recipe made to my Ukrainian taste.
It is such an easy and healthy chicken recipe to have for a weeknight dinner or entertain with on the weekend. Add Greek yogurt guacamole and some organic tortilla chips, Mexican kale salad, Instant Pot corn on the cob, margaritas and beers and you have a healthy Mexican fiesta!
Don’t worry, I will not ask you to marinate the chicken for a long time. You will be eating juicy and flavorful baked, grilled or pan fried cilantro chicken today. It is amazing! You will see for yourself.
Need more quick chicken recipes? This grilled chicken breast, Greek chicken marinade and Cajun chicken breast are waiting for you. Own an air fryer? You must try this easy air fryer chicken breast then!
Ingredients You Will Need
Cilantro lime chicken ingredients are simple whole foods. You probably have them on hand right now.
- Cumin, cayenne, black pepper and salt.
What Is Cilantro Lime Chicken Marinade?
To make cilantro lime chicken marinade:
- In a food processor or blender add rinsed cilantro with stems and not chopped. I’m obsessed with my small chopper. It is so easy to pull out, wash and store. It is perfect to make easy chicken marinades.
- Then add freshly squeezed lime juice. I like to use this tool because it gets all of the juice. It is also a perfect opportunity to use up old limes.
- Then blend until cilantro marinade is combined.
Tip: You can finely chop cilantro, grate garlic and whisk cilantro chicken marinade by hand. In case you do not have a blender or a food processor. Healthy food can be prepared without fancy gadgets.
How Long to Marinate?
To marinate cilantro chicken:
- I like to stab it randomly with a fork. On a bad day, a very satisfying procedure. Small cuts allow cilantro lime marinade to penetrate chicken deeper, especially if you are marinating for a short amount of time.
- Pour marinade on top. Using same fork, toss around the bowl to coat. And I try to use plastic bags as little as possible because they are not recyclable. But I wash them with soap anyways. But anyways, a glass bowl is the best.
- Cover and marinate for as little as 30 mins to 48 hours. The longer chicken marinates, the bigger the flavor. But honestly, both 30 mins and 24 hour marinated cilantro lime chicken recipe had such amazing flavors.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs?
Yes. Both boneless and skinless cilantro lime chicken breast or thighs can be cooked. Thighs are dark meat and more fatty and juicy. But because our marinade contains acid from lime juice, lots of flavor and we use proper cooking technique, chicken breasts will be just as juicy.
I would say whatever is cheaper at Costco.:)
How to Make Baked Cilantro Lime Chicken
No matter how you choose to cook chicken, discard the marinade.
- Rub the bottom of large baking dish with oil and lay marinated chicken breasts in a single layer.
- Bake uncovered in 450 degrees F preheated oven for: 25 minutes for chicken breasts under 2 inches thick or 35 minutes for chicken breasts over 2 inches thick.
- Or until internal read thermometer registers 150 degrees F internal temperature. You do not need to wait for 165 degrees F as meat will get there during resting. This way you will avoid dry chicken.
Tip: For very large and thick chicken breasts slice them in half lengthwise starting where “the bump” is. It reduces cooking time.
How to Pan Fry Cilantro Chicken
Pan frying cilantro lime chicken is the method I prefer unless it’s summer. My mom always cooked chicken this way, and it’s fast and brings fond memories.
- Cook cilantro lime chicken thighs or breasts in preheated on medium heat skillet for 5-6 minutes covered. Covering chicken will allow it to get cooked through in the thickest part without burning. However, keep in mind that pieces of cilantro will burn a bit and that’s fine.
- Flip and cook uncovered for another 5-6 minutes. Or until the thickest part juices run clear when poked with a knife or fork.
How to Make Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken
Preheat grill on medium-high (450-500 degrees F) and rub with oiled paper towel. Place chicken on the grill, close the lid and grill for 8-10 minutes turning once. Do not overcook.
Always rest your meat after cooking. But don’t cover it with homemade beeswax wraps. Heat melts the wax. Lesson learnt.
What Goes Well with Cilantro Chicken Recipe?
- Use sliced chicken to make chicken burrito bowl and chicken street tacos.
- Make healthy cobb salad or use in grilled chicken salad.
- Serve with a whole grain and a side of balsamic marinade for grilled vegetables.
- Simple summer salads like creamy cucumber tomato salad pair so well!
- For a low carb version, make cilantro lime cauliflower rice or cilantro lime roasted cauliflower.
How to Store and Freeze
Refrigerate cilantro lime chicken for up to 5 days in an airtight container. To keep chicken moist, slice right before serving.
Freeze cooked chicken for up to 3 months, again in an airtight container. I love glass containers because there are numerous studies on how chemicals contained in plastics are in our bloodstream. Plus so much better for the planet.
I think it is best to cut, slice or shred your chicken before freezing it. It will thaw faster and you can add it to your meal right away. Frozen and thawed chicken is great to be added to casseroles.
More Easy Chicken Breast Recipes
- Instant Pot chicken breast
- Honey garlic chicken recipe
- Lemon chicken recipe
- Grilled lemon rosemary chicken
- Browse 65 best healthy chicken recipes.
Enjoy this cilantro lime chicken and other healthy grill recipes! And I hope you come back and let me know how you liked it in comments below. I love hearing from you! And… have you ever tried cilantro salmon soup?!
Cilantro Lime Chicken
- In a food processor or blender, add cilantro (whole and with stems), lime juice, garlic, olive oil, cumin, salt, cayenne and black pepper. Process until marinade forms, pausing and scraping the walls.
- Add chicken in a medium bowl and poke with a fork randomly. This will allow marinade to penetrate the meat. Pour marinade on top and toss with a fork to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for 30 mins – 48 hours. The longer you marinate, deeper the flavor, but even after 30 mins cilantro chicken tastes awesome.
- To pan fry (pictured): Preheat large ceramic non-stick skillet on medium heat and swirl a bit of avocado oil to coat. Add as many chicken breasts as fit, cover and cook for 5-6 minutes. Flip and cook for another 5-6 minutes or until the thickest part juices run clear when poked with a knife or fork. Discard marinade.
- To grill: Preheat grill on medium-high (450-500 degrees F) and rub with oiled paper towel. Place chicken on the grill, close the lid and grill for 8-10 minutes turning once. Do not overcook. Discard marinade.
- To bake: Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Rub bottom of large baking dish with oil and lay chicken breasts in a single layer. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes (thinner) to 35 minutes (2″+) or until 150 degrees F internal temperature. Discard marinade.
- For all methods: Make sure you let chicken rest. Remove from heat and cover dish with tin foil, silicone lid or paper towel. Let rest for 5 minutes. This step helps juices to settle back into the meat.
- Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 1 week.
- Freeze: Up to 3 months.
- For very large and thick chicken breasts slice them in half lengthwise starting where “the bump” is. It reduces cooking time.
- Because of the nature of marinade, if you pan fry chicken, cilantro will burn a bit on the bottom. And that’s fine. It creates a nice crust. Yum.
- If you do not have blender or food processor, you can finely chop cilantro, grate garlic and whisk marinade by hand.