Whole wheat fusilli pasta, fresh kale and extra lean ground turkey, topped with part skim mozzarella cheese, baked to perfection for 30 minutes in the oven. Makes it a quick weeknight meal kids love!
If you don’t have kale, spinach would work just fine. Also parmesan cheese is optional, in case you are out of it or simply want the dish lighter.
Ground chicken or extra lean beef is fine too. Just keep in mind nutrition data will change.
I know everyone is scared of pasta because of the carbs and heavy sauces. That’s why I chose whole wheat organic pasta for this recipe (that’s the only pasta I ever buy). It has more fiber than regular pasta, which slows stomach emptying so you feel fuller longer after a meal.
I’m not saying this pasta bake has barely any carbs. No. What I’m saying is that it has lower amount of good healthy carbs than many other baked pastas.
Your body needs good carbs – complex carbohydrates, not the carbs from pizza or ice cream.:) Especially 1-2 hours before the workout.
I also added a bunch of kale which is a nutritional powerhouse. It is full of fiber, iron and antioxidants. You can find it in a produce section of any supermarket, next to other leafy greens.
And as always, I recommend buying all your lettuce and other greens organic due to a direct contact of the leaves with pesticides.
I love using more meat than usual recipes call for. Why?! Because meat is protein, and by eating more of it you get full faster and stay full longer. You simply will eat less of bad stuff.
And, if you are really looking for a pasta bake without pasta try this Low Carb & No Pasta Spaghetti Cheese Bake Recipe and find out what the secret ingredient is.
- 2 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 3 cups whole wheat fusilli pasta, dry
- 5 cups kale, chopped & packed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning, dry
- 3 cups low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded or grated
- Salt & ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook pasta al dente as per package instructions. In other words, undercook it by 3-4 minutes.
- Brown ground turkey in a skillet and set aside in a bowl.
- To make a meat sauce: using the same skillet fry garlic for about 30 seconds with the olive oil. Add onion and cook until golden brown. Add kale and sauté until it's wilted. It happens fast. Add crushed tomatoes, water, italian seasoning, browned turkey, salt and pepper to taste. Mix and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Spray 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Lay half of the pre-cooked pasta, top with half of meat sauce and half of mozarella cheese. Repeat steps one more time using up all pasta, meat sauce and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil & bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove foil and bake until the cheese on top and edges start to turn golden brown. Cut into 8 pieces and serve. This dish makes great leftovers and is freezer friendly.
Servings Per Recipe: 8
Amount Per Serving:
Total Fat: 8.8 g
Cholesterol: 62.6 mg
Sodium: 581.5 mg
Total Carbs: 29.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 4.4 g
Protein: 46.2 g
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 9
Weight Watchers Points: 7