These Buffalo Chicken Bites with a clever healthy twist are baked and ready in 30ish minutes. Pair them with blue cheese dressing for a bite-sized hit!
Table of Contents
I love adding a bit of heat to the mix whenever I can. Whether it’s easy buffalo chicken tacos, party favorite Instant Pot buffalo chicken dip, a comforting bowl of buffalo chicken chili or these tender buffalo chicken bites.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Not dry: Unlike other recipes that call for chicken breast that’s fried and coated in buffalo sauce.
- No marinating: No lengthy prep or wait times. Just mix, scoop, and bake!
- No breading: Thanks to cauliflower rice, these juicy boneless chicken bites are low carb and gluten-free.
- Freezer friendly: Great for tossing in the freezer and whipping out whenever guests swing by for a surprise visit.
Ingredients for Buffalo Chicken Bites
Made with a few simple ingredients, this buffalo chicken bites recipe also comes with everything you need to make your own blue cheese dressing!
- Cauliflower rice: I used a bag of frozen cauliflower rice to keep prep time a breeze. Be sure to thaw and squeeze well.
- Ground chicken: Lean or extra lean ground chicken, you’ll need 1 pound.
- Egg: 1 large egg is needed for texture and binding.
- Hot sauce: The spicy kick in all things buffalo! I went with Frank’s hot sauce, but feel free to use your preferred brand.
- Cheese: Grated cheddar cheese adds rich flavor and helps hold ingredients together.
- Green onions: Finely diced to provide a subtly sweet onion flavor and a pop of color.
- Spices: Add a touch of pepper to your liking for an extra burst of heat and flavor.
- Blue cheese dressing: Make your own healthy dip using Greek yogurt, crumbled blue cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Bites
In just 4 simple steps, here’s a quick overview on how to make these incredibly easy buffalo chicken bites!
There is a full recipe card below.
- Make blue cheese dressing: In a jar or lidded container, combine Greek yogurt, blue cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir well and set aside.
- Prep: Heat your oven to 400°F. Grab a baking sheet, line it with parchment paper, give it a quick spray with cooking oil, I like Misto, and set it aside.
- Combine: While the oven warms up, take a big bowl and toss in cauliflower rice, ground chicken, egg, hot sauce, cheese, green onion, and pepper. Give it a good mix with a spatula.
- Form chicken bites: Grab a small trigger scoop, scoop up some of the chicken mixture, give it a press with your hand, and place it onto the baking sheet. Keep doing this until you’ve used up the whole mixture.
- Bake: Place chicken bites in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes. They’re ready once the outside is dry, the cheese is bubbly, and the edges get a touch of brown. Let them cool for 1-2 minutes, transfer to a serving bowl, and serve warm or cold with dip of choice.
Tips for Best Results
Follow these handy tips, and everyone will rave about this tasty appetizer!
- Squeeze cauliflower: Give the cauliflower a good squeeze, well enough to remove moisture but it doesn’t have to be dry-dry like you’d do for cauliflower crust pizza.
- If using fresh cauliflower rice: You will have to cook it first. Place in a microwavable bowl and microwave for about 8 minutes, then cool and squeeze.
- Don’t cook frozen cauliflower rice: Simply thaw it and add to the mixture. If cauliflower rice is cooked first your bites will be pretty soft and limpy.
- To grind your own chicken: I cut the chicken breasts with kitchen shears right above the food processor and then process until ground chicken forms.
- Don’t over mix the mixture: Mix the chicken mixture until just combined so they don’t lose moisture and come out dry.
How to Serve Buffalo Chicken Bites
Enjoy these healthy appetizers hot, warm or cold on game day paired with blue cheese or ranch dressing. Add a side of crunchy veggies like cucumbers, carrots and celery sticks for the perfect game time treat.
How to Store and Reheat
Store: Keep any leftover bites in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Reheat: When bringing them to a party, reheat in a microwave or air fryer for a few minutes before serving.
Freeze: Once fully cooled, store in an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and enjoy cold or reheat.
My top pick is Frank’s hot sauce because it’s not overly spicy or vinegary. Other great brands include Texas Pete and Crystal hot sauce.
Sure. Melt 1 tablespoon butter with 1/4 cup hot sauce and dip.
Sure. Cut the chicken thighs or chicken tenders into bite-sized pieces, season with pepper, then transfer to a bowl and coat in hot sauce. Bake at 400 F until cooked through, about 15 – 20 minutes.
Alternatively, you can pan fry them. Season diced chicken with pepper, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, coat with oil, and cook chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side until cooked through. Reduce heat, stir in hot sauce, and gently toss until coated. Turn off heat, add cheese and green onions, and stir allowing cheese to melt.
You can replace cauliflower rice with grated and squeezed zucchini or 1/2 cup breadcrumbs.
Yes. For air fryer buffalo chicken bites, cook in batches at 400 F for 8 minutes.
More Buffalo Recipes to Try
More Chicken Recipes
- Healthy chicken nuggets
- Almond crusted chicken
- Crispy coconut chicken
- Air fryer chicken tenders
- Healthy fried chicken
Buffalo Chicken Bites
For Buffalo Chicken Bites:
- In a glass jar or any container with a lid, add Greek yogurt, blue cheese, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir well with a fork and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 F, line large baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add squeezed cauliflower rice, ground chicken, egg, hot sauce, cheese, green onion and black pepper. Mix well with a spatula.
- Using small trigger scoop, scoop chicken mixture, press it in with your hand, and release on previously prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Bake buffalo chicken bites for 20 minutes or until outside is dry, cheddar is bubbly and edges are a bit brown. Remove from the oven, let cool for 1-2 minutes and using flat spatula transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve buffalo chicken bites warm or cold with blue cheese dip.
- Store: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4-5 days. Serve cold or reheat in a microwave or air fryer for a few minutes.
- Freeze: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight.