This coconut crusted chicken is juicy, greasy and crispy. Like junk food should taste, only 100% healthy and organic (in my case). Coconut flakes created this amazing crunchy crust that my kids couldn’t resist. For extra coconut-tiness I also rubbed the baking sheet with coconut oil. And what Ukrainian skips garlic?! Yes, I marinated chicken in garlic, salt and pepper for 15 minutes and it was amazing!!!
If you are like me and do not buy chicken strips for health reasons, make these. They are even easier than traditional breadcrumb crusted ones, less ingredients. Chicken breasts or thighs work. I used Let’s Do Organic unsweetened and unsuplhured coconut flakes which are dirt cheap and I always have on hand. We preferred this coconut crusted chicken without dipping sauce.
Coconut Crusted Chicken
Coconut Crusted Chicken Recipe is healthy baked coconut chicken strips alternative your family will love.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 minutes
- Total Time: 32 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- In a medium bowl, add chicken, garlic, 1 tsp salt and black pepper; mix and let marinate while you are getting other ingredients ready.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and using your hands rub large baking sheet with coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl lightly whisk the egg. In a large shallow dish, mix thoroughly coconut flakes, garlic powder and remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Dip each chicken tender in egg wash and then dredge in coconut flakes on both sides. Place on a prepared baking sheet and repeat this step with remaining chicken. If you run out of egg wash, you can either use another egg or just dredge in coconut flakes (that’s what I did).
- Bake for 17 minutes, flip and bake for 5 more minutes or until golden crust appears. Please note, ovens and baking sheets vary. These time guidelines are good for a light aluminum tray. I also baked tenders on a dark baking sheet for 10 minutes on one side, and only 5 minutes on another. So, watch closely for golden coconut flakes on the sides and bottom. Do not use parchment paper, it will take forever to cook.
- Serve hot, as an appetizer or with a salad. I tried these tenders with mango ginger sauce and ketchup, and prefer them on their own.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze leftovers for up to 3 months. To reheat, bake from frozen for 10-15 minutes at 375 degrees F.
Freeze: Lay strips on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, freeze completely and transfer to a large Ziploc bag. Bake from frozen following recipe’s instructions + 15 minutes.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.