When I hear buffalo chicken, I immediately think of buffalo wings and Frank’s Red Hot sauce. Then celery and carrots come to mind. So, imagine all of that cooked in a slow cooker and making the yummiest Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Chili. I think, we all have to thank Rachel Ray for inventing this crockpot chicken chili. It’s all over the net. But I made my own version – clean and simple. As I always do, when trying to recreate the recipe. I just look at the ingredients list but never the amounts or directions. I just get an idea and make my own.
If you love all things Buffalo, try my Buffalo chicken tacos; and for other slow cooker healthy chili recipes I can’t recommend enough crockpot chicken chili con queso style served over brown rice or quinoa, and easy quinoa chili for a vegan option.
How to Turn Buffalo Chicken Chili Into a Freezer Meal
Follow the recipe up to final cooking step and freeze uncooked. Thaw in the fridge for 24 hours before cooking. Cook on Low for 9 hours or on High for 5 hours.
Please note since it’s a large meal freeze in 2 containers to fit frozen in your cooking vessel.
Check out my full list of healthy freezer meals. I’m obsessed!Print
Buffalo Chicken Chili
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Chili Recipe made in slow cooker or Instant Pot with chicken breast, Frank’s Red Hot sauce and blue cheese. Taste the wings without the fat. Also you can make it into a freezer meal.
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours 30 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 38 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium onions (2 cups), chopped
- 3-4 large carrots (3 cups), chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 x 15 oz cans any low sodium beans, drained & rinsed
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes, low sodium
- 1/4 cup original Frank’s red hot sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, skinless & boneless
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Slow Cooker: Preheat large skillet on medium and spray with cooking spray. Add garlic, onions, carrots and celery and saute for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a large slow cooker along with beans, diced tomatoes, Frank’s red hot sauce, maple syrup, cumin, salt and smoked paprika. Stir to combine.
- Add chicken breasts and push on them to sink in. Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours.
- Instant Pot: In Instant Pot, add ingredients in the following order: garlic, onion, carrots, celery, beans, Frank’s red hot sauce, maple syrup, cumin, salt, smoked paprika, chicken and diced tomatoes. Do not stir!
- Close the lid, set pressure vent to Sealing and press Pressure Cooking on High for 30 minutes. After do Quick Release by turning pressure valve to Venting position until float valve drops down. Now it’s safe to open the lid.
- Remove chicken breasts, shred with 2 forks and return to the slow cooker/Instant Pot.
- Serve hot, garnished with crumbled low fat feta or blue cheese and chopped cilantro/green onion.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Freezer Meal: Follow the recipe up to final cooking step and freeze uncooked. Please note since it’s a large meal freeze in 2 containers to fit frozen in your cooking vessel. If using slow cooker, thaw in the fridge for 24 hours before cooking. Cook on Low for 9 hours or on High for 5 hours. In Instant Pot, same cooking time from frozen (do not thaw).
Freeze: Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw on a stovetop covered on low.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.