Make these easy Cucumber Appetizers with spicy creamy Buffalo chicken on top of fresh cucumber slices. These easy and healthy cucumber bites are perfect for holidays, game days and any party.
I attended a New Year’s party where cucumber appetizer bites “flew off” the table. I was really surprised since cucumber is a vegetable nobody wants to eat when drinking beer.
Morale of the story: if you invite your not-so-health-conscious family and friends over, chances are they will love your easy cucumber appetizers. Up the anti even more with Instant pot egg bites, black bean salsa, and bacon-wrapped asparagus – there are always ways to encourage more eating of veggies!
Anything buffalo chicken is usually a hit. And it is a huge hit when creamy hot sauce chicken meets cool and refreshing cucumber. My 11 year old went nuts for these cucumber horderves.
I never had a huge passion for cooking appetizers because many are so unhealthy or healthy ones take forever to make. These appetizers using cucumber slices and basically chicken salad on top are none of the above.
- Quickly slice cucumber.
- Pull out pre-cooked chicken from the fridge or freezer. We all have that on hand more often than not.
- Stir and assemble.
- Add-ons wise, cucumber appetizers are highly customizable too. Cherry tomato and black pepper can’t hurt.
Come on, let me show you this super easy cucumber appetizer recipe. Plus – now that I’ve started experimenting with health appetizer recipes, I just can’t seem to stop. Just check out my healthy turkey sliders, baked zucchini fritters, chicken lettuce wraps, parmesan mushrooms, or taco dip! (just to name a few!)
How to Make Cucumber Appetizer Bites
1. Slice the Cucumber
- Trim the ends of long english cucumber.
- Cut into 0.5 inch thick slices.
- If you would like pretty lines like mine, before slicing peel skin with a vegetable peeler lengthwise every 45 degrees. Set aside.
- The chubbier the cucumber, the better. Cucumber bites are the case when chubbiness is welcome with open arms.
2. Make Buffalo Chicken Mixture
- In a medium bowl, add chicken, yogurt, hot sauce, blue cheese, onion, and pepper.
- Stir well.
Did you know, you could even swap out the topping for something else simple like this healthy tuna salad?
3. Assemble Cucumber Bites
- Arrange the cucumber slices in a single layer on a serving platter.
- Using 2 forks, scoop amount of chicken mixture not wider than a cucumber slice but rather tall
- Place on a cucumber slice.
- Repeat with remaining slices.
- Any leftovers – you are allowed to eat.
Once they’re ready, serve them alongside other salads and appetizers like chickpea avocado salad, lettuce cucumber, and tomato salad, quinoa tabbouleh, tomato pasta salad, tomato mozzarella salad, and more!
Can I Make Cucumber Bites Ahead?
Yes. You can totally do that. Best way is to refrigerate chicken mixture in an airtight container for up to 2 days and assemble before serving.
If you got any leftovers, refrigerate them for up to 24 hours. Cucumbers will leak and lose their crunch a bit but still will be delish.
Cucumber Appetizers FAQs
How to cook chicken?
When in a rush developing a recipe, I always swear I will buy pre-cooked chicken and when I get to the store my hands just can’t do it. But you can use store-bought roasted chicken if you are OK with that. At the end of the day, sometimes will not kill us. And chances are most of your guests will not care anyways.
Can I omit blue cheese?
If you don’t like blue cheese, don’t use it. Add more onion.
Is your cucumber bites recipe spicy?
No. My kids devoured these cucumber appetizers. If you like more hot sauce go for it. Knock yourself out.:) You can also use any other brand name of hot sauce besides Frank’s Red Hot.
Can I add or use cream cheese?
Yes. Add to taste until cream cheese mixture forms and is easy to grab with 2 forks.
Can I use 0% yogurt?
No. Please do not use low fat and non fat dairy products in my recipes because they lack flavor. Full fat dairy is good for you. It doesn’t make anyone fat. Your cucumber appetizer bites will not taste good. And who wants to be embarrassed in front of the crowd?
More Healthy Appetizer Recipes to Try
- Thai chicken bites
- Spicy black bean nachos
- Italian pasta salad
- Cauliflower breadsticks
- Salsa guacamole
- Quinoa black bean salad
Cucumber Appetizer Bites
- 2 long English cucumbers
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken breast shredded
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt 2%+ fat
- 4 tbsp Frank’s red hot sauce
- 3 tbsp blue cheese crumbled
- 3 green onion sprigs finely chopped
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Trim the ends of cucumbers and cut into 0.5 inch thick slices. If you would like pretty lines like mine, before slicing peel skin with a vegetable peeler lengthwise every 45 degrees. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, yogurt, hot sauce, blue cheese, onion and pepper; stir well.
- Arrange cucumber slices in a single layer on a serving platter. Using 2 forks, scoop amount of chicken mixture not wider than a cucumber slice and rather tall, place on a cucumber slice and repeat with remaining slices. Any leftovers - you are allowed to eat.
Make Ahead: Refrigerate chicken mixture in an airtight container for up to 2 days and assemble before serving. Refrigerate leftovers for up to 24 hours.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.