I attended a New Year’s party where cucumber appetizer bites “flew off” the table. I was really surprised since cucumber is a vegetable nobody wants to eat when drinking beer.
Morale of the story: if you invite your not so health conscious family and friends over, chances are they will love your easy cucumber appetizers.
Anything buffalo chicken is usually a hit. And it is a huge hit when creamy hot sauce chicken meets cool and refreshing cucumber. My 11 year old went nuts for these cucumber horderves.
I don’t have a huge passion for cooking appetizers because many are so unhealthy or healthy ones take forever to make. These appetizers using cucumber slices and basically chicken salad on top are none of the above.
- Quickly slice cucumber.
- Pull out pre-cooked chicken from the fridge or freezer. We all have that on hand more often than not.
- Stir and assemble.
- Add-ons wise, cucumber appetizers are highly customizable too. Cherry tomato and black pepper can’t hurt.
Come on, let me show you this super easy cucumber appetizers recipe.
How to Make Cucumber Appetizer Bites
1. Slice the Cucumber
- Trim the ends of long english cucumber.
- Cut into 0.5 inch thick slices.
- If you would like pretty lines like mine, before slicing peel skin with a vegetable peeler lengthwise every 45 degrees. Set aside.
- The chubbier the cucumber, the better. Cucumber bites is the case when chubbiness is welcome with open arms.
2. Make Buffalo Chicken Mixture
- In a medium bowl, add chicken, yogurt, hot sauce, blue cheese, onion and pepper.
- Stir well.
3. Assemble Cucumber Bites
- Arrange cucumber slices in a single layer on a serving platter.
- Using 2 forks, scoop amount of chicken mixture not wider than a cucumber slice but rather tall
- Place on a cucumber slice.
- Repeat with remaining slices.
- Any leftovers – you are allowed to eat.
Can I Make Cucumber Bites Ahead?
Yes. You can totally do that. Best way is to refrigerate chicken mixture in an airtight container for up to 2 days and assemble before serving.
If you got any leftovers, refrigerate them for up to 24 hours. Cucumbers will leak and lose their crunch a bit but still will be delish.
Cucumber Appetizers FAQs
How to cook chicken?
Use homemade cooked chicken breasts as store bought are convenient but extremely high in sodium. To cook chicken breasts, either sear covered, cook in Instant Pot or boil for a stock. Anything works.
When in a rush developing a recipe, I always swear I will buy pre-cooked chicken and when I get to the store my hands just can’t do it. But you can use store-bought roasted chicken if you are OK with that. At the end of the day, sometimes will not kill us. And chances are most of your guests will not care anyways.
Can I omit blue cheese?
If you don’t like blue cheese, don’t use it. Add more onion.
Is your cucumber bites recipe spicy?
No. My kids devoured these cucumber appetizers. If you like more hot sauce go for it. Knock yourself out.:) You can also use any other brand name of hot sauce besides Frank’s Red Hot.
Can I add or use cream cheese?
Yes. Add to taste until cream cheese mixture forms and is easy to grab with 2 forks.
Can I use 0% yogurt?
No. Please do not use low fat and non fat dairy products in my recipes because they lack flavor. Full fat dairy is good for you. It doesn’t make anyone fat. Your cucumber appetizer bites will not taste good. And who wants to be embarrassed in front of the crowd?
More Healthy Appetizer Recipes to TryPrint
Cucumber Appetizer Bites
Make these easy Cucumber Appetizers where spicy meat creamy and fresh. If you don’t know what to serve a crowd, this recipe is it!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 45 bites 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Assemble and serve
- Cuisine: North American
- 2 long English cucumbers
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (2%+ fat)
- 4 tbsp Frank’s red hot sauce
- 3 tbsp blue cheese, crumbled
- 3 green onion sprigs, finely chopped
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Trim the ends of cucumbers and cut into 0.5 inch thick slices. If you would like pretty lines like mine, before slicing peel skin with a vegetable peeler lengthwise every 45 degrees. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, yogurt, hot sauce, blue cheese, onion and pepper; stir well.
- Arrange cucumber slices in a single layer on a serving platter. Using 2 forks, scoop amount of chicken mixture not wider than a cucumber slice and rather tall, place on a cucumber slice and repeat with remaining slices. Any leftovers – you are allowed to eat.
Make Ahead: Refrigerate chicken mixture in an airtight container for up to 2 days and assemble before serving. Refrigerate leftovers for up to 24 hours.
*The chubbier the cucumber, the better. Use homemade cooked chicken breasts as store bought are convenient but extremely high in sodium. To cook chicken breasts, either sear covered, cook in Instant Pot or boil for a stock. Anything works. If you don’t like blue cheese, don’t use it – add more onion. If you like more hot sauce – go for it.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.