Whole wheat spaghetti is the most cooked type of pasta in my kitchen. For two good reasons. Reason #1 – Costco. It sells the largest most affordable giant box of organic noodles. Reason #2 – kids. They particularly love spaghetti. I don’t think they even know what white pasta tastes like so we have no problem with more nutritious whole wheat.
So, on Wednesday was whole wheat spaghetti recipe turn…after lentils, brown rice and quinoa it was definitely time to give kids pasta before they start to rebel.
This whole wheat spaghetti recipe was one of my best ones so far! It is never the same though as I suck at following even my own recipes. Salty Kalamata olives, sweet chicken pieces, al dente noodles, popping cherry tomatoes and fresh garden basil – amazing 30 minute one pot chicken spaghetti recipe your hungry kids will gobble up.
Mine were sitting at the kitchen’s island colouring and anxiously waiting for dinner. Then screaming “you are the best cooking mommy ever”. Summer breathe was coming from the backyard, top 40 playing on my phone and 3 of us laughing and slurping spaghetti – I love summertime with my children which I will take with me forever! I hope you are having a great great time too!
More Spaghetti RecipesPrint
Chicken and Whole Wheat Spaghetti Recipe
Chicken and Whole Wheat Spaghetti – healthy whole wheat pasta recipe with chicken, olives, grape tomatoes and basil.
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 23 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 1 lb grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- 2 medium bell peppers, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp avocado or coconut oil
- 2 lbs boneless & skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups water or chicken stock
- 2 cups Kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 oz whole wheat spaghetti (use GF and adjust cooking time if necessary)
- Handful of basil, chopped
- Preheat large deep skillet or a dutch oven on medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add peppers an cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a bowl with sliced tomatoes.
- Return skillet to the stove on medium-high heat and add chicken. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until opaque, stirring occasionally. If any juices appear do not drain. Add water (I usually boil a kettle to speed up cooking) or stock, olives, salt, pepper, bay leaves and gently stir. Take a bunch of spaghetti and snap in 3 adding to the skillet. Give a gentle stir to mix ingredients.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove lid, stir well softened spaghetti with the rest of ingredients, cover and cook for 5 more minutes. Turn off heat and add previously cooked peppers, tomatoes and basil. Stir and serve hot.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.