Instant Pot Spaghetti is healthy one pot dinner ready in 20 minutes. Pasta, meat and sauce – all cook in one pot. It is true Italian meal with a lot of flavor and little effort. So hearty!
Pressure Cooker Spaghetti
Instant Pot spaghetti is one of those dinners that saves the busy weeknight. Or who am I kidding, most weekends with kids are just as busy.
That’s when we throw meat, pasta and sauce in our pressure cooker and healthy dinner is on the table in 20 minutes. Spaghetti comes out not mushy, sauce flavorful and everyone is happy. You have to try!
We make this all year round, friends. Even in summer, because Instant Pot doesn’t warm up your kitchen.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Spaghetti
What I love about this recipe is that you can use 5 simple ingredients you have on hand:
- Pasta: You can use white, whole wheat or gluten free spaghetti. As for shape, you can use long and short pasta, realistically. Penne, fettuccine, fusilli, elbow macaroni etc.
- Ground meat: Ground turkey, beef, chicken, lamb or even venison. Poultry will make Instant Pot spaghetti more lean and therefore a healthier choice.
- Tomato sauce: Plain canned tomato sauce and add simple spices, salt and a bit of sugar to reduce acidity. Or jarred seasoned sauce like spaghetti or marinara. This sauce already has spices, salt and sugar added to it.
- Spices: Dried oregano, basil and thyme or just Italian seasoning. You can skip them with jarred pasta sauce.
How to Make Instant Pot Spaghetti
If you are new to cooking with Instant Pot, check out my Instant Pot guide. Don’t have an Instant Pot yet? Check out which one you should buy. And you should very soon. Life changing magic pot! You are welcome.
- Brown meat: Press Saute and cook meat until small pieces. If it is beef or lamb, I would drain it mid way to reduce fat and speed up sauteing. Then add water, seasonings and scrape the bottom of the pot.
- Add pasta and sauce: Lay broken in half pasta noodles criss cross in 6 layers. Pour tomato sauce on top and do not stir. Do not worry about water and sauce not covering the noodles. There is enough steam inside the pot to soften them under pressure.
- Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes: Then do a Quick Release with pressure after. Stir and let sit for 3 minutes to soak up the juices. If pasta is too firm to your liking, let it sit longer – 10 minutes.
Tips and Variations
- Gluten free pasta: I would reduce cooking time from 5 minutes to 3 minutes for gluten free pasta.
- If pasta is “crunchy”: Close the lid and let it sit extra 10 minutes after cooking. It’s pasta, it cooks fast and is better to undercook.
- Too liquidy? When you first open the pot, spaghetti might too watery. Give it a stir and a few minutes to absorb.
- Clumping noodles: Criss crossing pasta resolves most of clumping. Some is OK, just use a fork to separate them.
- Veggies: Throw in some chopped onion and mushrooms while browning the meat.
- Sausage: Instead of ground meat, you can use sausage.
More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot chicken alfredo
- Instant Pot mac and cheese
- Instant Pot stroganoff
- Instant Pot parmesan chicken pasta
- Instant Pot lasagna
- Browse all healthy Instant Pot recipes.
Instant Pot Spaghetti
Instant Pot Spaghetti is healthy one pot dinner ready in 20 minutes. Pasta, meat and sauce – all cook in one pot.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef, turkey or chicken
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 1 tsp basil, dried
- 1 tsp thyme, dried
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 10 oz whole wheat spaghetti
- 28 oz tomato sauce, low sodium
- On Instant Pot, press Saute and wait until display says Hot. Add meat and cook until brown in colour, breaking into pieces constantly. Instant Pot doesn’t really brown the meat and it doesn’t have to be cooked through.
- If cooking beef, I drain the fat in the middle of cooking. Up to you. Healthier.
- Add water, oregano, basil, thyme, salt and pepper. Scrape the bits off of the bottom of the pot with spatula while stirring everything. Helps to avoid Burn message. Press Cancel.
- Break noodles in half and add criss cross in about 6 layers. It helps to prevent noodles from sticking.
- Pour tomato sauce and maple syrup on top. Do not stir.
- Close the lid, turn pressure vent to Sealing and press Pressure Cooking on High for 5 minutes.
- After Instant Pot has finished cooking, release pressure using Quick Release method by turning valve to Venting and open the lid.
- Spaghetti will look watery. Don’t worry. Stir gently and let sit for 3 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with basil and Parmesan cheese. Or however you like spaghetti. Enjoy!
Store: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Do not freeze.
You can use white, whole wheat or gluten free spaghetti. Or even fettuccine like I did. Cook gluten free pasta for 3 minutes, others no change. Worst case scenario, if it’s a bit crunchy, you let it sit a few extra minutes after cooking. It’s pasta, it cooks fast and is better to undercook.
For more meat and sauce, use 8 oz of noodles. I liked 10 oz because feeds more and less meat.
Replace thyme, basil and oregano with 1 tbsp of Italian seasoning.
You can replace tomato sauce with a jar of your favorite sauce! If you do so, reduce dried herbs to only 1 tsp and salt to 1/2 tsp, and eliminate maple syrup. Jarred sauce contains sugar already.:)
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.