Chicken and Potatoes
You will love this one pan chicken and potatoes for your next weeknight dinner or lunches for a week. Potatoes were crispy coated in dried oregano, garlic powder and generous amount of olive oil. And roasted chicken breast came out juicy and tender with roasted tiny tomatoes on top. And all action happens in one pan.
One Pan Dinner Love
I’m in love with sheet pan dinners! It took me a while to take a leap of faith mainly because I was concerned meat would come out dry and vegetables overcooked. But nothing of that happened because “I’m not just a pretty face”. Alex can’t stop raving about the magic of “shit pan dinners” as well. His exact words, not mine.
What Are Best Potatoes to Use?
Baby potatoes are not the only option. Do not just run to the store. You can use regular size potatoes cubed into 2″ pieces.
- Yellow potatoes or yellow flesh potatoes if you are in Canada. Some avid potato fans told me the equivalent in the US is Yukon Gold. Also sometimes you can find “Canadian” potatoes in the US. Whatever that means.
- Red potatoes.
Tip: Do not use russet potatoes. They make the best healthy mashed potatoes.
What Is the Size of Baking Sheet?
To make roasted chicken breast and potatoes, I use rimmed baking sheet that is called half sheet 12 x 18 inches. It is a bit larger than jelly roll pan that runs 10 by 15 inches. I use the same sheet for baking cookies and sheet pan dinners. This size of tray fed 4 of us one night really well.
Line it with unbleached parchment paper or re-usable silicone mats. I’m in love with my Amazon Basics silicone mats – I swear I roast more because I don’t have to tear parchment paper each time. After wash, I store mat right inside the sheet, pull out when ready to cook and that’s it.
Tip: You can also use a ceramic baking dish of same size.
How to Make Chicken and Potatoes in the Oven
- Lay chicken cutlets on one side and potatoes on the other side in a single layer.
- Drizzle with oil, sprinkle with spices, and using your hands, mix each “pile” to coat separately, and spread in a single layer after mixing.
- Adding grape tomatoes on top of chicken prevents it from over drying, adds flavour and “a veggie factor” (although technically, tomato is a fruit).
- Roast chicken and potatoes in the oven on a bottom rack uncovered for 25 minutes, then broil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, squeeze lemon over entire dish, and sprinkle with dill or parsley.
Now, wasn’t this one pan chicken dinner damn good and easy?! Come back and tell me if you added any personal touch. Enjoy!
More One Pan Dinner Recipes to Try
- One pan chicken and veggies to clean out the fridge.
- One pan salmon with butternut squash in honey garlic sauce.
- Sweet potato and eggs is basically easy shakshuka in a pan.
One Pan Chicken and Potatoes
Sheet pan roasted chicken breast and potatoes with tomatoes, oregano and garlic in the oven. No other dirty bowls.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American Ukrainian
- 2 lbs (5 cups) baby potatoes, cut in halves
- 1 lb (6-8) chicken cutlets, boneless & skinless*
- 1 pint (2 cups) grape tomatoes, cut in halves
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp oregano, divided
- 2 tsp garlic powder, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 lemon
- 2–3 tbsp dill or parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and line large baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper or silicone mat.
- Lay chicken cutlets on one side and potatoes on the other side in a single layer (tight is fine). Drizzle potatoes and chicken with 1 tbsp of oil EACH. Then sprinkle with 1 tsp oregano and garlic powder EACH. Sprinkle 1 tsp of salt and pepper to taste over BOTH. Using your hands, mix each “pile” to coat separately, and spread in a single layer after mixing. Lay grape tomatoes on top of chicken.
- Bake uncovered on a bottom rack for 25 minutes, then broil for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, squeeze lemon over entire dish, and sprinkle with dill or parsley. Wasn’t this damn good and easy?! Enjoy!
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
*I took 2 huge chicken breasts and cut them into cutlets using fillet knife.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.