In Ukraine we have this dish, “plov”, made with chicken or lamb, rice and lots of spices. Basically a loaded pilaf. My dad made a wicked one with probably 1/2 cup of good quality olive oil and various parts of chicken. My sister in law makes a legendary one with lamb because her husband is from southwestern part of former USSR that is close to Iran and Pakistan where people love their spices.
So, I made a similar one pot quinoa chicken with broccoli that is ready in under 30 minutes.
How to Make One Pot Quinoa, Chicken and Broccoli
I get chicken from a local farmer which is healthier in so many ways than factory farmed animals.
Braise chicken with spices until golden brown but it doesn’t have to be cooked through.
Do not throw out these brown bits and do not wash the pot. They contain a lot of flavour. I also would save any water you have to drain to get chicken browned and add along with quinoa.
Almost no Ukrainian savoury dish is made without onions, garlic and carrots. I’m sure you know that by now.:)
Then mix all ingredients in one pot and cook for 20 minutes.
Broccoli goes in one pot quinoa last because we don’t want them to be mushy but rather crunchy.
And then you can sprinkle your one pot chicken quinoa with Parmesan cheese and broil.
More Yummy Chicken and Quinoa Recipes to Try:
- Buffalo chicken quinoa with broccoli and perfect for a meal prep.
- Quinoa skillet with chicken and an abundance of garden vegetables.
- One pan quinoa chicken chili for a healthy and easy version of chili.
- Chicken quinoa bowls with mango, black beans and delish avocado sauce.
One Pot Chicken and Broccoli Quinoa
One Pot Quinoa, Chicken and Broccoli is a flavourful healthy quinoa pilaf recipe ready in 30 minutes. Even quinoa cooks in the same pot.
- Prep Time: 8 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 48 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: One Pot
- Cuisine: American Ukrainian
- 2 lbs boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1” pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin*
- 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1/2 tsp all spice (optional but good)
- 1/2 tsp himalayan pink salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 tsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, uncooked
- 3 cups boiling water
- 3/4 tsp himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb broccoli, chopped
- Preheat large deep skillet or a dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add Chicken ingredients and saute for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain liquid if necessary and cook until golden brown sides appear. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add olive oil, onions, garlic, carrot and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add pre-cooked chicken, quinoa, water, remaining salt and cumin, and bay leaves; stir. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes.
- Now it’s time to add broccoli. At this point quinoa should be cooked al dente. Add broccoli, stir, cover and cook for 5 more minutes. Serve hot.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Freeze: Fully cook, cool completely and freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw on a stovetop with a splash of water covered on low.
*I particularly love the taste of olive oil in this dish but any oil works.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.