Roasted Cauliflower with garlic and olive oil baked until nutty and caramelized. Such a simple way to roast cauliflower and then add more flavors, if you wish.
Roasted Cauliflower Recipe
This week we explored roasted cauliflower. Like Italians think everything tastes better with Parmesan cheese. If Ukrainians could make cake taste better by adding garlic, they would have.
After we really-really-really enjoyed garlic green beans, I roasted Costco cauliflower florets with extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. This cruciferous vegetable turned into buttery and nutty flavored with crispy edges morsel of healthy food.
For busy nights you can either buy pre-cut cauliflower or here is a simple way how to cut your own.
How to Cut Cauliflower
Remove green leaves and cut cauliflower head into 4 quarters, starting at the base and slicing through the core.
Lay each quarter on a cutting board, angle your knife and cut florets from the stem. Easy-peasy.
See how to cut cauliflower in this easy 4 step tutorial.
Can I Use Frozen Cauliflower?
Yes, you can roast frozen cauliflower florets. Do not thaw cauliflower.
Just increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F and cook as per recipe below. Because frozen cauliflower will be releasing more water during baking, you want more dry heat to help it evaporate.
I like simple roasted cauliflower the way it is. But I also do not mind other variations. Especially if you roast it often and are tired of “same old” try the following variations:
- Parmesan cheese – Sprinkle 2 tbsp of freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano on roasted cauliflower. Do not add cheese before roasting as it will burn and dry out.
- Curried – To original recipe add 1/2 medium thinly sliced onion, 1 tsp quality fresh curry powder and 2 tbsp more olive oil. Roast the same way as written recipe.
- Spicy – Toss oven baked cauliflower with 2 tbsp Frank’s red hot sauce. And may I suggest 3 tbsp blue cheese crumbles on top?!
- Turmeric – To original recipe add 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp paprika and a pinch of red pepper flakes to a bowl with cauliflower florets. Cook as per recipe. It will turn out bright yellow and so festive.
What to Serve with Roasted Cauliflower
Own an Instant Pot? Make dinner easy by roasting cauliflower in the oven and roasting a whole chicken (from frozen!) or cooking chicken breasts in your pressure cooker at same time. Now, that is a smart healthy dinner idea! I am absolutely obsessed with my Instant Pot, by the way.
Cauliflower also goes really well with beef and pork.
Boy, was it quick and yummy. It really doesn’t get easier than chopping cauliflower head into florets. I barely even wash it. Do you?
Then toss it with some olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and cheese. And that garlic, once it’s roasted, I died. It becomes crunchy and a bit burnt. Have you ever tried roasted garlic?! OMG. I died again.
More Ways to Enjoy Cauliflower
Besides being married to Alex for over 19 years, I’m married to my veggies. 🙂
Roasted Cauliflower with garlic and olive oil baked until nutty and caramelized. Such a simple way to roast cauliflower and then add more flavors if you wish.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Ukrainian
- 2 lbs small cauliflower florets (1 medium head)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line half sheet with silicone mat or unbleached parchment paper.
- To cut cauliflower head into florets: Remove green leaves and cut cauliflower head into 4 quarters, starting at the base and slicing through the core. Lay each quarter on a cutting board, angle your knife and cut florets from the stem. Easy-peasy. See how to cut cauliflower in this easy 4 step tutorial.
- In large mixing bowl, add cauliflower florets, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Stir gently and well with a spoon to coat evenly.
- Transfer onto prepared baking sheet and spread in a single layer.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until soft to a touch with a fork. Mine took 35 mins – depends on the oven.
- Serve immediately while hot and crisp. Warm tastes good too.
Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 1 day. Cauliflower will become softer the next day but still delicious.:)
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.