Baked Chicken and Peppers
Feeling like a million bucks after a morning run, I’m sitting on a couch and writing about this gorgeous baked chicken and peppers I made the night before. Simplicity of this chicken bell pepper recipe blew my mind once again. All you need is chicken, peppers, onions, mushrooms and cheese.
My neighbour made it the same night and husbands were outside after dinner sharing experiences. About chicken. Her husband said it was very European. And I guess so – minimum fresh ingredients. This cooking style is programmed in me forever but anyone can reprogram themselves in the kitchen. It takes 30 minutes to make.
Tips for Best Chicken and Peppers Recipe
- Saute vegetables adding one by one.
- Bake chicken covered until pale and not browned before adding vegetable and cheese topping.
- Chicken is cooked when pale and surrounded by clear juices.
- Use brown or portobello mushrooms for more flavor.
- Serve hot or to be honest – it tastes cold amazing too!
How to Make Baked Chicken and Bell Peppers
- In a large baking dish, combine chicken, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix with your hands, spread in a single layer and bake covered for 20-25 minutes at 425 degrees F.
- In the meanwhile, saute onions, mushrooms and peppers adding one by one and allowing first vegetable to golden a bit.
- Remove chicken from the oven, top each piece with sauteed vegetables and cheese, and broil for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
What to Serve With?
Serve hot with cooked rice, quinoa or traditional healthy mashed potatoes. All those juices flowing on top of mashed potatoes OMG. I could see how amazing that would be. Ukrainian in me.:) Or eating low carb? Try my cauliflower mashed potatoes.
Boys enjoyed this chicken and bell peppers recipe with whole wheat spaghetti. I had mine over zucchini noodles.
More Chicken and Bell Pepper Recipes:
- Chicken stuffed peppers with brown rice and simple ingredients.
- Chicken chickpea stew – one secret ingredient makes this Mediterranean dish so creamy.
- Chicken and lentil casserole for a wholesome cheesy family dish.
- Instant Pot stir fry that you can make with frozen chicken breasts and veggies!
Baked Chicken and Peppers
It is a crowd pleaser. Your kids will be fighting for leftovers. Your guests will be blown away. And it’s so easy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Casserole
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American Ukrainian
- 3 lbs chicken breasts or thighs, boneless & skinless
- 1 large garlic clove, grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 10 brown mushrooms or 2 portobellos, chopped
- 2 large bell peppers, chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut or avocado oil
- 1 cup hard cheese like mozzarella or marble, shredded
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. If using breasts cut in half lengthwise.
- In a large baking dish, add chicken, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well to coat evenly and spread in a single layer. Cover and bake for 20-25 minutes. Chicken is cooked when pale and surrounded by clear juices.
- In the meanwhile, preheat large ceramic non-stick skillet on low-medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add onion and saute for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and saute for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add bell peppers and saute for 5 more minutes, stirring.
- Remove chicken from the oven and turn broiler on High. Separate chicken a bit from each other and top each piece with vegetables (sprinkle around too) and top with cheese. Broil for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve hot with rice, quinoa or veggies.
Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.