Roasted Chicken Thighs and Potatoes Recipe
Roasted chicken thighs and potatoes recipe from my mom. She didn’t cook often (grandma did) but this was her absolute staple. Crispy potatoes, roasted onion and garlic combined with juicy dark meat and crispy chicken skin and it will become your family’s favorite! I’m obsessed with any chicken and potatoes combo because I am Ukrainian. My kids rave about this dish for days.
I often double the recipe, bake one right away and refrigerate another one to bake the next day. How genius am I? And very modest too. Shall we?
Chicken that Will Work:
“Olena, where are the chicken thighs?” Sigh. As you can see from the photos, I’m a rule breaker of my own recipes. I did not have chicken thighs or chicken drumsticks on hand. So I just cut up whole chicken into pieces and used 2 lbs. The rest is going for the soup tomorrow.
The best chicken to use is meat with bone in and skin on. It will be the juiciest baked chicken and potatoes you ever tried!
Best Potatoes to Use:
I could not believe how many times I got asked where did I get my yellow potatoes for Instant Pot chicken and potatoes. So, sharing potato secrets:
- Yellow potatoes or yellow flesh potatoes if you are in Canada. Some avid potato fans told me the equivalent in the US is Yukon Gold. Also sometimes you can find “Canadian” potatoes in the US. Whatever that means.
- Red potatoes.
Do not use russet potatoes. They make the best healthy mashed potatoes.
Can I Make This Recipe with Sweet Potatoes?
Yes. Sweet potatoes cook faster than regular potatoes. Add to the pan after chicken, carrots and onions have been baking for 15 minutes. Do not forget to stir.
Roasted Chicken Thighs and Potatoes Seasoning:
OK. You can use any dried herbs you like or have on hand. As you can imagine, my mom did not have any dried herbs back in the 90s in Ukraine. She used only salt, pepper and garlic. And roasted chicken thighs and potatoes in the oven still came out delish!
My rule of thumb is 1 tsp salt + 1 tbsp dried herbs + 1 tsp cumin. You can skip cumin. Truth is I meant to use coriander but here we are…
What Oven Dish Can I Use?
You can use any large 9 x 13 or even bigger baking dish with walls. Oven proof glass or ceramic baking dish is great. You want to be able to mix ingredients with your hands without chicken and and potatoes flying over your countertop. Or unless you are up for an adventure… Kids might enjoy!
What About Other Vegetables?
I like to use potatoes, carrots, onions and garlic. There is something about soft sweet carrot and roasted onion. And even maybe burnt slivers of garlic. This combo has a bite to it. I would recommend you stick to my childhood favorite. Other vegetables cook way faster than bone in chicken. I also do not like to add extra steps adding vegetables later etc.
If you want to eat more vegetables, just make my green smoothie recipe to go with these roasted chicken thighs and red potatoes. We often “eat more vegetables” this way.
Tips for Best Roasted Chicken Thighs and Potatoes:
- After mixing, stretch the skin to cover meat to prevent it from drying out.
- Buy organic potatoes so you don’t have to peel them. Bonus: skin contains so many nutrients and vitamins.
- Use the largest onion ever. There will be a fight for roasted onion, trust me.
- Meal prep tip: double the recipe. Bake one tonight. Refrigerate 2nd one assembled and covered, then bake tomorrow. I do it all the time.
More Chicken and Potatoes Recipes to Fall in Love with:
- Instant Pot chicken and potatoes – your guests will rave about this dish forever!
- One pan chicken and potatoes – one sheet pan dinner in half an hour with baby potatoes.
- One pan chicken and veggies – clean out the fridge – any veggies will do!
- Oven baked chicken thighs is the recipe this recipe stems from. Confused yet?!
Roasted Chicken Thighs and Potatoes
Just toss chicken, potatoes, carrots and spices in a baking dish and bake. Juicy dark meat, crispy skin, roasted onion – sign me up!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: One Pan
- Cuisine: Ukrainian
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, bone in and skin on
- 6 large potatoes, cut into 1.5″ cubes (large)
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into large chunks
- 3 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin or coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and prepare large 9 x 13 baking dish with walls.
- To the dish, add chicken, potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic and bay leaves. Drizzle with oil and then sprinkle with cumin or coriander, dried herbs, salt and pepper. Using your hands, mix well.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender and chicken juices run clear when poked.
- Remove from the oven and dig in! How easy was this?!
The best chicken to use is any cut with bone in and skin on.
You can use any dried herbs you like or have on hand. And skip cumin or use coriander instead.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.