Sweet Potato and Eggs is easy and delicious breakfast baked in one pan. All you need is to season potatoes, crack some eggs and sprinkle with feta and cilantro after. How easy?!
Table of Contents
This sweet potato and eggs recipe came out of a sheer desire to make breakfast in our house easy and delicious.
It also works as a healthy dinner, especially if you have busy nights with kids’ activities, like we do!
I remade this recipe again today and I had to put my laptop away and just eat, I couldn’t stop.
Grape tomatoes were popping in my mouth, barely soft with tender skin. Eggs were cooked perfectly, not runny but not thick solid. And sweet potatoes with goat feta cheese, avocado, hot pepper flakes and lime juice were a flavor explosion!
We love potatoes and eggs combo like in healthy breakfast casserole, so I figured this would be a success too. And it sure was!
Are you ready to make this deliciousness?!
Ingredients and Notes
It’s got so much flavor using simple ingredients but you can also swap some of the ingredients to make it your own.
- Sweet potatoes: Can also swap for potatoes of any color.
- Eggs: You’ll need 6 large eggs.
- Feta cheese: I like goat milk feta cheese, but you can also use cow’s milk feta if you prefer.
- Seasonings: Garlic powder, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. You can also use fresh garlic, but it is an extra step and tool!
- Grape tomatoes: I just love how easy they are to wash and throw on top. Regular diced tomatoes will work.
- Garnishes: Green onions, cilantro, hot pepper flakes, avocado (or guacamole), salsa, and lime juice.
How to Make Sweet Potato and Eggs
Here are the simple steps to prep this recipe in 5 minutes! After that it’s all baking time.
Prep: Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and line your baking dish with parchment paper and cooking spray.
Cut and season potatoes: Cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. No need to peel!
Then dump them into a deep bowl with oil and spices and toss until evenly coated. Feel free to use your fingertips to rub.
First bake: Place the seasoned sweet potatoes flesh side up in a prepared baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes or until knife tender.
Second bake: Crack the eggs into the spaces between the potatoes. Sprinkle on the tomatoes and feta and bake again for 9-10 minutes or until the egg whites are opaque.
Garnish: Remove from the oven, garnish as desired and enjoy hot!
Tips for Making Egg and Sweet Potato
- If you’re worried about egg shells, crack one at a time in a small dish, then pour it into the dish.
- When using a convection oven, the baking time will be reduced by 10 minutes or so.
- No need to peel the potatoes. The skin has plenty of nutrients, but it also helps to keep the shape of the sweet potatoes. If by chance they’re overcooked, they’ll at least be too soft in their shell!
- For a runny yolk, you’ll want to keep an eye on it while it’s in the oven. Eggs won’t take too long to cook, so once the egg whites are cooked, take the dish out immediately.
Storing and Reheating
Storing and reheating: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
I would say the best way to reheat would be in a microwave as you don’t want to be tossing potatoes and eggs around to make a mush.
Freezing: Baked sweet potato does not freeze well, so I wouldn’t recommend it.
Yes. They provide fiber, potassium, vitamins, especially vitamin A, minerals, and antioxidants.
For breakfast, you have a one pan meal. Serve with sliced avocado and salsa. Possibly with a fruit smoothie or orange juice.
Yes. That’s one of the brilliant things about this dish is that it works for every single meal at any time of the day.
Yes. Think about using any firm veggies like cauliflower, corn, or carrots. Onions would be great too.
More Egg Recipes to Try
More Sweet Potato Recipes
- Sweet potato egg breakfast casserole
- Tex Mex sweet potato skillet
- Healthy sweet potato casserole
- Oven roasted sweet potatoes
- Mashed sweet potatoes
Love eggs as much as my family? Check out my collection of healthy egg recipes!
Sweet Potato and Eggs
- 4 (2 lbs) medium sweet potatoes cut in halves lengthwise
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 6 large eggs
- 2 handfuls of grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- Cooking spray I use Misto
- Cilantro, green onions, hot pepper flakes, avocado and salsa for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F, line 9 x 13 baking dish with unbleached parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, add potatoes, oil, garlic powder, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Toss well until potatoes are coated.
- Lay potatoes cut side up in previously prepared baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes (convection oven reduces baking time by 10 mins or so) or until knife tender.
- Remove from the oven and carefully crack eggs in between the potatoes, top with tomatoes, sprinkle with feta cheese and bake for another 9-10 minutes or until egg whites are white.
- Remove from the oven and garnish as you wish. Serve hot.
- Store: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Simple, delicious, nutritious dish with a variety of textures and flavors that come together very well. The contrast of savory spices on the sweet potato was a culinary adventure that I greatly enjoyed. I added fresh spinach and used a pepper jack cheese that I had on hand instead of the feta. I garnished as you recommended—red pepper flakes, green onions, salsa, cilantro, and guacamole—with fantastically satisfying results. We ate it as dinner. Highly recommend.
So glad you enjoyed it Kristi! Yum on that pepperjack!
Yum! Will this work with an 8×8 baker?
Do you mean square baking dish? If so, you need to cut recipe in half.
Delicious sweet potato and eggs meal!
Oh my goodness! Made this for supper! How fast, easy, and delicious! One pan/pot meals are a life saver! Thank you 🙂
I am doing this tonight!!! Also, I’m not sure I have enough sweet potatoes, so I may try to mix whatever few I have left with aubergine. Mmmmthis sounds so promising!!!
For sure. You can also add potatoes or any other firm veggies like broccoli or zucchini.
Love this one and it’s one of things where most people have everything already. Have you made Eggs N Spaghetti before? We love that too! Can be meat sauce, or plain. I cheat and use organic jarred sauce and add my own lean organic grass fed ground beef or I grind my own organic turkey or chicken breast. I’m sure you know I’m going with this!
But yours! Making it!
Just had this for dinner tonight. Enjoyed by all. Thank you
So happy to hear that Nerida!
Hi Olena, I just found your website yesterday in my search to continue with our new clean eating lifestyle. Let me tell you, I woke up this morning very excited in anticipation of your post. My boyfriend and I just started this new way of eating and we feel fantastic. I found a two week plan on Popsugar, but my fear was where do we go from here. Then I found you after numerous sites that didn’t speak to me. THANK YOU!! The last couple weeks have been adventurous and satisfying, but I needed to figure out how to sustain this new lifestyle. Bravo to you and your hard work. BTW, I make a breakfast version of todays recipe and it’s one of my FAVORITES.
This looks so so so so good! Making it!
Also…making a king size bed. Wow. Difficult. I try to get my daughter to help but did it alone last time. Let’s just say there was a lot of sighing and f-bomb dropping. But clean sheets are worth the struggle.