Zucchini Quiche Ingredients
A few years ago, a health conscious neighbour shared delicious crustless zucchini quiche that I loved taste of but my stomach didn’t agree with amount of dairy in it.
Never being able to forget an experience of a cold savory quiche on a summer morning, which created heaven in my mouth, I was set to come up with my own super simple and healthy zucchini quiche using only a few ingredients:
- Lots and lots of grated zucchini
- Many fresh local eggs and
- A small amount of Parmesan cheese for a punch of flavor.
What is Texture Like?
I have to say that my zucchini quiche came out amazing with a delicate texture from grated vs. cubed zucchini. It didn’t taste like an omelette, neither did it have a texture of a pie – bingo. It melts in your mouth!
How to Make Crustless Zucchini Quiche
1. Squeeze Zucchini
Using the same grated zucchini squeezing technique like in healthy zucchini bread and healthy pita pizza, I place shredded zucchini inside a linen towel, then twist into a ball and as I keep twisting with all my mighty force, liquid starts to come out.
Do it over a bowl and save liquid for smoothies or soup (last time I used it for Ukrainian borscht haha).
2. Whisk Eggs, Flour and Cheese
For my zucchini quiche I used 8 large eggs.
Add flour and it will take some muscle power and a few minutes to combine both by whisking. I didn’t use any milk because zucchini is quite a moist vegetable, on the contrary I needed absorbing ingredient to help shape a quiche and not extra liquid.
3. Add Herbs and Combine Everything
Combine both mixtures.
4. Bake at 400 F for 45 Mins
And bake. I lined my baking dish with parchment paper because it is more of a cheesecake one where bottom slides out. That is also a reason I placed baking dish on a baking tray, plus dish was too shallow, so I was scared quiche would spill all over the oven I prefer to avoid cleaning. Nothing of above mentioned has happened, so just pour mixture into well sprayed regular pie dish and you will be fine.
This healthy quiche came out amazing, tasted even better cold the next morning for breakfast. Enjoy!
More Healthy Crustless Quiche Recipes to Try:
- And if you love round egg-y loaded with vegetables “things” I highly recommend you my crustless zucchini pie using corn tortillas and all Mexican flavors.
- Or spaghetti squash quiche with kale and mushrooms that tastes like Fall. Or my other spaghetti squash quiche with balsamic vegetables, which is perfect for August when local produce stands are overloaded with affordable delicious vegetables.
- Vegetable frittata since we are talking about a lot of eggs and if you need to clean out a fridge.
Healthy Crustless Zucchini Quiche
Melt in your mouth healthy zucchini quiche without the crust. Tastes so good cold! Simple ingredients as always.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: North American
- 7 cups (2–2.5 lbs) shredded zucchini (measured before squeezing)
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup spelt or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup any hard cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup chives or green onions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- Give shredded zucchini a good squeeze to extract as much water as possible. I do it by placing zucchini into a linen towel and wringing into a ball (save the liquid for soup or smoothies). Transfer to a medium bowl and set aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and spray pie baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, add eggs and whisk. Add flour and whisk well to combine (it will take a few minutes). Add both cheeses, salt and pepper, and whisk one more time. To the bowl with zucchini add chives and using spatula mix, then pour egg flour mixture on top and stir well to combine.
- Transfer mixture to previously prepared baking dish and bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Broil for a few minutes for a golden crust. Cool off a bit, cut into 8 slices and enjoy warm or cold (I love cold quiche!).
Store: Refrigerate covered for up to 5 days or freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating in the comments.