These Healthy Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes are easy, perfectly seasoned and so delicious with a soft inside and crispy outside. They make a simple side dish or enjoy in a wrap or salad!
Table of contents
Healthy oven roasted sweet potatoes appear on our menu as soon as the calendar turns to fall!
Our children are not fans of sweet potato. And not of any roasted squash or root vegetables, to be honest.
So, between me and Alex we share this entire healthy side dish in one sitting!
Oven roasting is the easiest way to reap the most health benefits from magical sweet potato. The cubes melt in your mouth and satisfy a serious savory craving in a healthy way!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Easy to make: 10 minutes prep and then the remainder is hands off oven time.
- Savory seasonings: Smoky spices balance well with the natural sweetness of these spuds. No brown sugar needed!
- Versatile: Great for meal prep, use in breakfast bowls, lunch wraps, tacos, or eat as it!
- Nutritious: High in vitamins, minerals, and beta-carotene plus naturally gluten free and vegan.
Ingredients You’ll Need
To make healthy oven roasted sweet potatoes recipe you need 6 simple ingredients.
- Sweet potatoes: Red orange skinned sweet potatoes often are labeled “yams” at the store, although yams are entirely different. Also can be light skinned. Pick firm, dry, without soft and dark spots sweet potatoes.
- Oil: Avocado oil, melted coconut oil, grapeseed oil or light olive oil are the best for high cooking temperature in the oven.
- Garlic powder: It makes for an easy rub. You can use freshly grated garlic, if you have time.
- Smoked paprika: Makes potatoes extra special. You can use regular but smoky sweet potatoes are to die for!
- Salt and pepper
How to Cut Sweet Potatoes for Roasting
For this recipe you will need 1/2 inch cubed pieces of sweet potato. Here are a few tips to get the perfect sweet potato chunks.
First, you will need a cutting board and sharp knife.
Next, wash and trim the ends of each side of the sweet potato. Slice your potato into rounds. Then cut your rounds into even sized cubes, you should be able to get 4 or 6 depending on the size of your round.
It is hard to get uniform 1/2 inch pieces when cutting long potato. Don’t worry, just try your best. Small chunks caramelize and burn a little bit on the edges. And who doesn’t love that?!
Should I Peel My Sweet Potatoes Before Roasting Them?
I don’t peel sweet potatoes whether it’s baked sweet potatoes or sweet potato cubes. Skin contains a lot of nutrients and vitamins.
I buy organic sweet potatoes, so all I need to do is rinse and then move unto cutting them.
You can peel, if you wish. But if you are busy like me, it really is a timesaver. Plus, the flavor of the skin is mild (aka barely noticeable) and it becomes lightly crisped when roasted.
How to Make Healthy Roasted Sweet Potatoes
After prepping and cubing your sweet potatoes, it’s as easy as season, roast and enjoy!
Add cubed potatoes to baking sheet: I love to line baking sheets with reusable silicone baking mats, but unbleached parchment paper also works.
Use 2 rimmed baking sheets. Do not be tempted to overcrowd 1 baking sheet. Your potatoes will steam rather than roast. I use 2 of these half sheets.
Drizzle with oil and season: I just drizzle oil evenly over 2 baking sheets. Then sprinkle smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper evenly. I like to use a flat spatula for tossing sweet potatoes.
Spread in a single layer. After tossing, you want to spread potatoes evenly all around both baking sheets. This will help to get the more crispy outside.
Bake at 425 F for 30 mins. Place both sheets on top and bottom racks. If your oven can fit both on the bottom rack, great! Toss once after 15 minutes.
Here are a few ways how to use your roasted sweet potato cubes!
- Side dish: Roasted sweet potatoes are a perfect side dish for quick stovetop or Instant Pot dinners. Stick them in the oven and they will be ready in time for dinner.
- Chicken: Sweet potatoes add good carbs to lean protein like chicken. Baked honey garlic chicken is the perfect sweet and savory combo.
- Salads: Mix into Mexican salads like leafy Mexican kale salad.
- Wraps: Make a vegetarian wrap with roasted sweet potatoes, greens, cucumber and whipped garlic hummus.
Storing: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Reheating: Reheat in a microwave, in 375 degrees F oven or a non-stick ceramic skillet with a dab of oil. So easy!
You will want to pick a sweet potato that is firm to the touch and does not have any soft spots, dark brown spots, or blemishes.
No. Your potatoes will absorb water and be mushy, plus who needs the extra dishes?!
No, this will steam them instead of roast them.
425 degrees F is the perfect temperature for roasting most vegetables, sweet potatoes included.
All ovens bake differently. I suggest 30 minutes but you may want to check them at 25 minutes to see if they are done. At 30 minutes, if you feel they could roast more, add another 5 minutes, check and so forth until done.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
- Sweet potato egg breakfast casserole
- Tex Mex sweet potato skillet
- Healthy sweet potato casserole
- Healthy mashed sweet potatoes
- Instant Pot sweet potato casserole
- Sweet potato hummus
Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with unbleached parchment paper or silicone mats. Divide potatoes evenly between 2 sheets. Do not overcrowd 1 baking sheet as potatoes will steam.
- Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Using a spoon or spatula, toss potatoes to coat and spread in a single layer evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes on both racks, stirring once at half time mark.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy!
- Store: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Do not freeze.