Roasted Sweet Potatoes with simple warm spices, soft inside and crispy outside are perfect as a side dish, in a wrap or salad.
These sweet potatoes cubes melt in your mouth and satisfy a serious savory craving in a healthy way.
Our children are not fans of sweet potato. And not of any roasted squash or root vegetables, to be honest. So between me and Alex we share this entire recipe in one sitting.
Oven roasting is the easiest way to reap the most health benefits from magical sweet potato. Let’ do it!
Ingredients for Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet potatoes: Red and orange skinned sweet potatoes often have “yams” label at the store. Also can be light skinned. Pick firm, dry, without soft and dark spots sweet potatoes.
- Oil: Avocado oil, melted coconut oil, grapeseed oil or olive oil are the best for high cooking temperature in the oven.
- Garlic powder: It makes for an easy rub. You can use freshly grated garlic if you have time.
- Smoked paprika: Makes potatoes extra special. You can use regular but smoky sweet potatoes are to die for!
- Salt and pepper
How to Roast Sweet Potatoes
There is a full recipe card below.
- Prep: Skin contains a lot of nutrients and vitamins. I buy organic sweet potatoes, rinse and do not peel. You can peel, if you wish.
- Cube into 1/2 inch pieces. It is hard to get uniform 1/2 inch pieces when cutting long potato. Don’t worry, just try your best. Small chunks caramelize and burn a little bit on the edges. And who doesn’t love that?!
- Drizzle with oil and season. I just drizzle oil evenly over 2 baking sheets. Then sprinkle smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper evenly. I like to use a flat spatula for tossing sweet potatoes.
- Spread in a single layer. After tossing, you want to spread potatoes evenly all around both baking sheets. This will help to get the more crispy outside.
- Bake at 425 F for 30 mins. Place both sheets on top and bottom racks. If your oven can fit both on the bottom rack – great. Toss once after 15 minutes.
Tip: Use 2 baking sheets. Do not be tempted to overcrowd 1 baking sheet. Your potatoes will steam rather than roast. I use 2 of these half sheets.
Serving and Storage Tips
- Side dish: Roasted sweet potatoes are a perfect side dish for quick stovetop or Instant Pot dinners. Stick them in the oven and they will be ready in time for dinner.
- Chicken: Sweet potatoes add good carbs to lean protein like chicken. Make cilantro lime chicken or honey garlic chicken in the skillet. Perfect sweet and savory combo.
- Salads: Mix into Mexican salads like leafy Mexican kale salad or hearty Southwest quinoa salad.
- Wraps: Make a vegetarian wrap with roasted sweet potatoes, greens, cucumber and hummus.
Storing and Reheating: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Reheat in a microwave, in 375 degrees F oven or a non-stick ceramic skillet with a dab of oil. So easy!
More Sweet Potato Recipes
- Sweet potato hash
- Sweet potato egg casserole
- Tex Mex skillet sweet potatoes
- Sweet potato casserole
- Mashed sweet potatoes
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and line 2 aluminum baking half sheets with unbleached parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Divide potatoes evenly between 2 sheets. Do not overcrowd 1 baking sheet as potatoes will steam.
- Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Using a spoon or spatula, toss potatoes to coat and spread in a single layer evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes on both racks, stirring once at half time mark.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy!
Store: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Do not freeze.
Recipes and images are a copyright of ifoodreal.com. It is against the law to republish recipes anywhere including social media, print and all world wide web. Nutritional info is provided for informational purposes only and to the best knowledge.